The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
hotrodhomi

Re: Ackattack's Pro touring restoration thread

how did you find the painter? I hope its done on time. Many times i've seen two months turn into four or more.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhomi View Post
how did you find the painter? I hope its done on time. Many times i've seen two months turn into four or more.
Frizzle Fry gave me his name and number.

I sure hope it doesn't become "paint prison". Talking to the guy, I don't think he wants it to take that long either.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Ackattack

With the truck being gone for awhile and having sold the corvette about a month and a half ago, I got bored with my vehicles at home....so I went and did it. I bought a new Pontiac G8 GT.

OK, the real reason I got it was because my Jetta TDI is just too small for the rear facing kid seat and us to sit in it comfortably. (the first reason sounds cooler though )

Some people haven't even heard of a G8. Basically it's a full size 4 door car that looks great, could sit 5 adults comfortably. The GT model comes with a 6.0L L76 engine (similar to the LS2 but with active fuel management, different heads and a few other things) that makes 361 HP!

There is also the GXP model that has a 415HP LS3 in it. I decided to pass on the GXP.

I'll throw some pics up later. Hopefully I can also get some pics of the progress on the truck from my paint guy.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

And where are the pics?

J/k...I really like the G8's
Old 04-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

May I ask why you opted out of the GXP? I dig the car, but think it's main flaw is price, and I wonder if that was your reasoning too.

Or is this a good excuse to "total" the car on "Accident" and "salvage" the LS3 for some "donations" to the Chevy?
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Frizzle Fry

The G8 is an unsung hero. Great family car! Let me know if you need me to check on your truck for you.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
Ackattack

I didn't get the GXP for a few reasons.

1) I didn't want to pay for it. Not that I couldn't, but didn't want to. I had a hard enough time with my own mind to part way with that much money even though my wife pretty much told me I could get whatever I wanted
2) The GXP gets 20mpg vs 24 with the GT. I'm already taking a big hit going from my Jetta TDI (50mpg).
3) Really I just don't need it. My truck is going to be my "fun" vehicle and the G8 is my commuter.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
Surely you did get a 6 speed?
6 speed automatic, the 6 speed stick only comes in the GXP, sadly/stupidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I didn't get the GXP for a few reasons.

1) I didn't want to pay for it. Not that I couldn't, but didn't want to. I had a hard enough time with my own mind to part way with that much money even though my wife pretty much told me I could get whatever I wanted
2) The GXP gets 20mpg vs 24 with the GT. I'm already taking a big hit going from my Jetta TDI (50mpg).
3) Really I just don't need it. My truck is going to be my "fun" vehicle and the G8 is my commuter.
I see. When these 1st came out, new owners were reporting an easy 27 mpg on the freeway. The GXP, I'm sure could do fine with proper foot work. Shoot, the LS7 Z06 can achieve 27 mpg highway too.

Just curious, still a GREAT car though, and for the price it's pretty hard to beat. I'd take one... In black.

And, there are tail lights for this car with a red lense.. Maybe call the dealership and see if they can swap them on. Though, I dunno if maybe it's just to differ the V6 from the GT or what, but their out there.

Last edited by texanidiot25; 04-18-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
6 speed automatic, the 6 speed stick only comes in the GXP, sadly/stupidly.

I see. When these 1st came out, new owners were reporting an easy 27 mpg on the freeway. The GXP, I'm sure could do fine with proper foot work. Shoot, the LS7 Z06 can achieve 27 mpg highway too.

Just curious, still a GREAT car though, and for the price it's pretty hard to beat. I'd take one... In black.

And, there are tail lights for this car with a red lense.. Maybe call the dealership and see if they can swap them on. Though, I dunno if maybe it's just to differ the V6 from the GT or what, but their out there.

Now that is stupid So much for me wanting one then since no t56 for the g8 gt. I guess I will have to stick with a good used Z06
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

god i love that car, and especially the front end of that car. not to big a fan of the taillights though.

Last edited by project 67 sub; 04-18-2009 at 10:07 PM.
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by project 67 sub View Post
god i love that car, and especially the front end of that car. not to big a fan of the taillights though.

yeah, I could do without the clear taillights too. Everything else is great. The interior is the 2nd nicest I've seen from GM (new CTSs are pretty darn nice too!)
Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
LEEVON

Congrats on the G8! I drove one last summer and was amazed at alot of things...mostly when I sat in the back seat (6'-3") and the passenger front seat was all the way back my knees were still 4-6" from the seat back. OH, and the 361HP too.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:36 AM   #13
gunkis84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
yeah, I could do without the clear taillights too. Everything else is great. The interior is the 2nd nicest I've seen from GM (new CTSs are pretty darn nice too!)

just saw a g8 driving down the road.. it was a black one.. looks like they sprayed a smoked tail light paint on them.. looked awesome!!

AKA PROJECT ROOKIE

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=314716
gunkis84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #14
jkade

Surely you did get a 6 speed?
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #15
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

I'm sure you could easily find a willing shop to toss one in, but it's sad that you can't get it factory. That car would be a total win at under 30k with a 6 speed stick. The camaro can do it, with over 400 hp and a 6 speed.... =P
Old 04-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #16
Ackattack

yeppers, no 6 speed manual. The A6 has a "manual" mode, but IMO it's a toy. Oh, the new 6 speeds in the vettes and GXPs are not t56 trannies. They came out with a different one that's supposed to be smoother. I had 3 LS1 cars with t56s and never had problems with them. Maybe it's cause now with the LS3s their pushing well over 400HP from the factory.

I think it pays at the pump because it's a big 4 door car. The corvettes are a lot lighter and surely more aerodynamic. I was getting between 25 and 28 mpg driving my corvette to work and got up to 33mpg on one trip. Not too bad for a low 12 second ride. Sadly there wasn't a back seat.

I can't remember if I posted it, but I sold it about the beginning of March.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #17
Ackattack

I talked to the painter. They're working on it. He had gotten a new hood, and was expecting to get a new door (both used...new to me ) No pictures though. Maybe I'll get some this weekend.

I ordered my second set of drop spindles. I ordered the CPP modular spindles that move the front wheels in 1". Hopefully this will solve my issue with the front tire sitting on the inner wheel well at full dump. Additionally, this will alow me to use pretty much what ever brake caliper I want since it doesn't have a intergral caliper bracket like the factory styles do. So I'm going to be using a set of 98-2002 F-body calipers I already have. I'll just have to fab up a bracket to mount the caliper.

I guess I'll go ahead and clean up the caliper, powder coat it, and then rebuild it. I'll also have to get some brake pads for it.

So since I'm changing gears a little on my brake/spindle set up I'll have a few 0 mile parts for sale (ECE drop spindles, and Hawk HPS pads when I get my truck back from the painter) I'll post a for sale ad when the time comes.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #18
Ackattack

I did a little work this week. I started working on the gauges. They're autometer sport comps. I wanted the 5" ones to be on the back side of the bezel, so I used part of the original cluster to mount them in.

I'm also going to use the original turn signal location in the middle "window". I'm going to have to do a little cutting and rewelding to get it to fit the way it needs to so that it all works. Here is what the large gauges are mounted in:

I also gave some thought to the caliper setup with the new spindles

I'm waiting on a new set of brake pads for the LS1 calipers and then to get my truck back so I can mock it all up and make the mounting brackets. It should be fairly easy to do, so I'll post a "how to" so that others can easily mount these calipers on these spindles.

I also got some 68 plates for my truck:

I won them off of ebay from a guy that lives maybe 5 miles from me

I also ordered some parts:
front brake pads
new front calipers (almost as cheap as rebuild kits.....plus I don't have to clean them up to powder coat them)
turn signal lever with cruise control buttons
factory assembly manual
steering wheel and install kit

Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
greystoke

I'm waiting on a new set of brake pads for the LS1 calipers and then to get my truck back so I can mock it all up and make the mounting brackets. It should be fairly easy to do, so I'll post a "how to" so that others can easily mount these calipers on these spindles.

Hey Ackattack,
I'm anxious to see if how your spindle/caliper works together. I'd be interested in trying this on my 93 c1500

Last edited by greystoke; 06-11-2009 at 02:33 PM.
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
72 SHORTBED 7.0

keep the good work
72 SHORTBED 7.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #21
72 SHORTBED 7.0

keep up the good work
72 SHORTBED 7.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #22
nuke1

what size rotors will you be using?
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #23
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
what size rotors will you be using?
stock size for now

eventually I'll probably go bigger. In all reality I think the combination of better calipers and better brake pads will be a vast improvement over the stock setup.

I know my 72 GMCs brakes were pretty inadequate by today's standards (stock disk/drum setup)
Old 06-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #24
Frizzle Fry

My stock '72 disc/drum setup was very good on my burb. But I went to disc/disc anyway How's the paint coming?
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #25
Ackattack

Been doing a little more work

I worked on cutting out the middle part of the metal insert, and then epoxying it to the center plastic "light divider" so that the turn signal indicators and the brake and oil pressure lights will work properly.

I also tore the brake pedal assembly apart, painted it, and then reassembled it with the new brake switch (one for a lock up torque converter)

then I started getting the master cylinder ready for paint. I decided to check to make sure it would fit with the proportioning valve I got. I doesn't fit right