The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2022, 11:10 AM   #151
Factory Guy

Re: My New Truck

Bought some new head gaskets. and bolted on the heads.
Attached Images

Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #152
Factory Guy

Some more pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #153
Factory Guy

Now the latest debacle.

My engine came with the 4L60 Flex plate, with a 6.0 LQ4 (yes I know rather odd). Rather than drill it out I decided to get the correct 6.0 LQ4 flex plate (Silver one-pictured below)

I bought the, what I thought was correct 4L80 flex plate. A Chinese 6.0 LQ4 ATP flex plate.

After I get it and get it installed (now, its beyond the return period) then I read various sources who say, ATP flex plates (read Chinese) are junk and they SHOULD not be used, as you risk serious transmission damage if used.

https://youtu.be/sp6Wjtve3D0

So now, I had to go out and source a better flex plate. Thus I stepped up and bought a TCI flex plate.
Attached Images

Last edited by Factory Guy; 11-16-2022 at 11:45 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 11-29-2022, 08:18 PM   #154
Factory Guy

Last Summer ls1nova71 pointed out to me that my digital dash I was building wasn't going to have the same font spacing on the speedometer like I had originally thought. SINCE I am switching to a LS I am going to need a digital Speedometer.

You can read all about ls1nova71 sweet inexpensive Digital Speedometer conversion at:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=512751

So the original Squarebody Speedometer look like this
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2022, 06:57 PM   #155
Factory Guy

Just realized the S-10 Digital Speedo is just way to big for my Squarebody instrument cluster housing as it would require cutting out the plug, that powers the entire instrument cluster. Time to look for another option...
Old 12-07-2022, 09:28 PM   #156
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factory Guy View Post
Just realized the S-10 Digital Speedo is just way to big for my Squarebody instrument cluster housing as it would require cutting out the plug, that powers the entire instrument cluster. Time to look for another option...
Ahh man..... After that effort!?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #157
evan

I was looking at the oil pan pictures again and wondering about ground clearance. Do you know how far it will hang below the factory crossmember?
Old 12-19-2022, 05:03 PM   #158
Factory Guy

Just did a great Brake upgrade to my truck, I am elated with how happy I am, and how it turned out (especially for the money spent!)

If you want to see my post of it:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=834273
Attached Images

Last edited by Factory Guy; 01-01-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #159
Factory Guy

Stepped up and bought a new factory dash pad (not one of the Cheap ones from LMC or Classic truck parts), from Cobin's Custom Upholstery.

This was a GM OEM metal dash that got recovered (not one of those Urethane dashes), although the color is slightly different I guess I will live with it since it looks so much better than the other cracked mess.

I was going to redo my own, but since I am so far behind on my projects, I decided to farm this one out.

Got it installed today.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2022, 06:08 PM   #160
Factory Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
I was looking at the oil pan pictures again and wondering about ground clearance. Do you know how far it will hang below the factory crossmember?
I do know this if you use the TEJAS steel works engine mounts, and the factory style (Anchor brand) Motor mounts, the oil pan, the engine and everything will sit nearly in the same position as the small block V8 the LS is replacing. Plus with the Tejas mount you get to keep the AC compressor and ITS FACTORY mounting location so you do not have to buy a $1000 bracket to mount your AC!

If you use the other brands you end having to buy a new oil pan.

pic is the TEJAS steel mount.
Attached Images

Last edited by Factory Guy; 12-21-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:25 PM   #161
TKCR

Dash looks good!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:27 PM   #162
Factory Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Ahh man..... After that effort!?
Looking now at swapping in a 1993-1997 Chevy G10-30 Digital van Speedo.

The first picture is the van speedo (0-85mph), yes I will have to get the graphics redone (like I did with the Tach) to match a Square. But the layouts pretty much mirror each other. 2nd picture is the Square's face on the van Speedo.

Now to figure out a way to make a nice cut in the back of the Square plastic gauge housing to fit the much smaller van speedo. It still will require a deeper hole than the Squares conventional Speedo. Versus the very large S-10 speedo.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2022, 06:30 PM   #163
Factory Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Dash looks good!
Thank you
Old 01-01-2023, 01:15 PM   #164
Factory Guy

The latest debacle:

I went to start the engine and primed the engine with oil prior to starting it about 2 days later (Still have not started it yet), I noticed a pretty good sized oil spot (10" in diameter) under the power steering pump area (if it was installed). Upon further inspection I am finding that the oil seems to been leaking between the oil pan and the block right below the negative ground cable bolt? See yellow arrow in picture.

So now I am pulling the oil pan and installing a new gasket. Thank God the engine wasn't in the truck.

This why I like running them outside the vehicle BEFORE installing them!
Attached Images

Last edited by Factory Guy; 02-03-2023 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-01-2023, 11:39 AM   #165
Factory Guy

Quote:
The latest debacle:

I went to start the engine and primed the engine with oil prior to starting it about 2 days later (Still have not started it yet), I noticed a pretty good sized oil spot (10" in diameter) under the power steering pump area (if it was installed). Upon further inspection I am finding that the oil seems to been leaking between the oil pan and the block right above the negative ground cable bolt? See yellow arrow in picture.

So now I am pulling the oil pan and installing a new gasket. Thank God the engine wasn't in the truck.

This why I like running them outside the vehicle BEFORE installing them!

Engine Oil leak was probably my fault not the gasket or anything else. The oil pan bolt in that area was not even close to being tight. Anyway I replaced the oil pan gasket and cleaned all of the surfaces, just to be safe. Oil is in it, just waiting on a nice day to start this so I can get it installed. All oil pan bolts are now torqued to 18 ftLbs.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:32 PM   #166
hewittca

Truck looks excellent! Keep up the nice work.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:20 PM   #167
Factory Guy

So if enough wasn't going on with my truck I decided to add something else.

Since my truck didn't come with Cruise or Tilt, I decided to add a new steering column to correct that. And since I do NOT want any after market stuff. I had to add a GM Tilt/Cruise unit to my truck.

So the process has started.

I bought a used unit from a fellow member here on 67-72chevytrucks.com, this unit came out of a 1977 Camper Special. But since I didn't know the history of this steering column, I decided it needed to be rebuilt. I knew IT WASN'T going to be me.

So after a bunch of research I decided to have Steering Columns galore do the rebuild. Here's the new (to me) unit installed on the first day.

The process has started.
Attached Images

Last edited by Factory Guy; 03-20-2023 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:55 AM   #168
ShortHaul

Another fine upgrade. Tilt column is a nice feature… and just yesterday I was kicking myself for not adding cruise. 120 mile round trip and cruise would’ve made it that much sweeter.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...49#post8769049
”Otis” 1970 C10 SWB -SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762766
”Chebby” 1962 Impala LS/TKO-500
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...2-Impala-Build
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:42 PM   #169
Factory Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
Truck looks excellent! Keep up the nice work.
Thank you!
Old 02-13-2023, 08:50 PM   #170
Factory Guy

Tilt AND Cruise Column now installed.

Since somebody had cut the cruise wires, inside the steering column, prior to my purchase of the column. It was necessary to buy a new Cruise Switch (see photo's below-somebody cut it so close to the stalk it made it unusable). The place where I got my Steering Column redone, Steering Columns Galore (SGC) said they had no sources for new Switches. I finally found a repop that looks identical to the factory units. Once the LS goes in it will get wired up.

EDITED: 3/13/2023

So i go to wire up my ignition switch, nothing matches the old stock non tilt/non cruise ignition switch. So long story is the wiring loom under the dash to the IGNITION SWITCH remains the same (it is NOT necessary to re pin or anything), the wires AND connectors just get moved.

So in the Ignition switch photo below (the blue ignition switch=not mine just one I grabbed on the internet). The rear plug "POS 1" needs to be moved to "POS 2", AT the SAME TIME they get inverted (turned over and plug right into the ignition switch with NO REPINNING required. The front plug POS 2 needs to be moved to POS 1 AND INVERTED, NO REPINING REQUIRED.
Attached Images

Last edited by Factory Guy; 03-13-2023 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-13-2023, 08:54 PM   #171
Factory Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortHaul View Post
Another fine upgrade. Tilt column is a nice feature… and just yesterday I was kicking myself for not adding cruise. 120 mile round trip and cruise would’ve made it that much sweeter.
Thanks! Yes you are correct. Is your LS Drive by wire (DBW)? If so adding cruise wouldn't be hard if you have the factory ECU. If its cable driven its a lot harder.

One of the main reasons I went with DBW.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:52 PM   #172
ShortHaul

Quote:
Thanks! Yes you are correct. Is your LS Drive by wire (DBW)? If so adding cruise wouldn't be hard if you have the factory ECU. If its cable driven its a lot harder.

One of the main reasons I went with DBW.
I’m DBC on the Cheyenne. I have DBW on my 62 Impala 6.0 swap and I’ve always felt like there’s a tiny delay in throttle response. You can barely notice it… but it’s like when you’re watching a movie and the sound is off by just a fraction of a second… you hear the words and the actors mouth is just slightly off? Lol same feeling and it drives me nuts. So I went DBC on the truck.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...49#post8769049
”Otis” 1970 C10 SWB -SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762766
”Chebby” 1962 Impala LS/TKO-500
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...2-Impala-Build
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:25 PM   #173
Factory Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortHaul View Post
I’m DBC on the Cheyenne. I have DBW on my 62 Impala 6.0 swap and I’ve always felt like there’s a tiny delay in throttle response. You can barely notice it… but it’s like when you’re watching a movie and the sound is off by just a fraction of a second… you hear the words and the actors mouth is just slightly off? Lol same feeling and it drives me nuts. So I went DBC on the truck.
Yes I agree DBW always seems to have a lag. If your running the stock ECU I understand the can write some of that lag out. We will see. For me its more of the challenge to put it on the truck, just like the Tilt feature.

It didn't have it, but the only way I was going to do it was with a FACTORY unit.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:46 PM   #174
Factory Guy

Needed to add the photo's since I can't do it in my old post...

Quote:
Tilt AND Cruise Column now installed.

Since somebody had cut the cruise wires, inside the steering column, prior to my purchase of the column. It was necessary to buy a new Cruise Switch (see photo's below-somebody cut it so close to the stalk it made it unusable). The place where I got my Steering Column redone, Steering Columns Galore (SGC) said they had no sources for new Switches. I finally found a repop that looks identical to the factory units. Once the LS goes in it will get wired up.

EDITED: 3/13/2023

So i go to wire up my ignition switch, nothing matches the old stock non tilt/non cruise ignition switch. So long story is the wiring loom under the dash to the IGNITION SWITCH remains the same (it is NOT necessary to re pin or anything), the wires AND connectors just get moved.

So in the Ignition switch photo below (the blue ignition switch=not mine just one I grabbed on the internet). The rear plug "POS 1" needs to be moved to "POS 2", AT the SAME TIME they get inverted (turned over and plug right into the ignition switch with NO REPINNING required. The front plug POS 2 needs to be moved to POS 1 AND INVERTED, NO REPINING REQUIRED.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2023, 02:41 PM   #175
Factory Guy

The ENGINE now runs! Started it on the stand to see if it would run and it did! so now its time to start the transplant.
Attached Images