The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2022, 10:37 PM   #151
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Re: Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build

I have been getting back into a regular routine of going out in the garage a few nights a week and then doing what I can on the weekends. I was needing to take a break from the wiring & also parts were starting to arrive so I focused on assembling the front end for the complete & final time. I ordered a new center grille, bought a bowtie emblem (board member) and a VERY NICE purchase of the center trim pieces in the grille from TKCR (Tina)! They are in excellent shape…so much so that I decided to just keep the center section chrome (no red strips), to make up for the deleted strips I painted the bowtie red. I then proceeded to take a couple of nights to clean & polish the outer grille trim. I had to “hammer” a few dents & dings from them. Overall, I am happy with the outcome. my elbows are a little sore from applying the grease…
Attached Images

rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:45 PM   #152
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

I let my arms and hands rest from applying elbow grease on the center grille pieces so I started on the outer grille trim pieces. These are O.G. to the truck… at least the point I received it. I tried to work some of the damage over the years on the road. The process for all the cleanup was as follows, this was what I came up with, not a pro’s method. I used 1000 grit sandpaper and wet sanded the piece followed by 1200 grit rubbing compound (applied by dremel wheel) followed by 2000 grit sandpaper wet sanded. Finally, I used a polish to finish shine the pieces. the pics hopefully show the before and after of my work
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2022, 10:50 PM   #153
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

One of the items I needed were the outer trim grille clips. I had 1 original, but needed 3 more. I looked around for replacements, but decided that I might be able to make replacements faster than new ones would be shipped and cost less. I found some left over furniture/shelf brackets and some 8x32 screws. I did some measurements and decided all would work. A little cut here and a little welding there finally a little chrome paint and….. whaaalaa! They work beautiful and I think it turned out good. all said it took me about 2 hours to make the 4 clips and they work great.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2022, 10:53 PM   #154
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

here are a few picks of the final product. I think it looks good considering this is meant to be a daily driver & not a show build....
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2022, 11:17 PM   #155
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

One of the tasks that I did on my previous build was to make my own license plate bracket. My previous one and this one were made to look kinda stock & to bolt in the stock location on the bumper. I know that the brackets can be bought & they are not that expensive, but I like to make things & they are not too complicated, so for a little custom touch I just make them myself. I first measured the bumper opening & the bolt locations. I then make a cardboard template, bend where needed & do a test fit. Once I have the shape desired & get an idea of the aesthetics then I trace the pattern onto a piece of metal/alum. My first one (for my ’72 build) was made from aluminum – because a welder was not available. It turned out good and worked just fine. This one I decided to make out of steel – because I now own a welder… and I am one heck of a grinder!...LOL!! So I traced the pattern out, cut/bent where needed as well as drilled the bolt holes. I test fitted it again for final layout. Happy with the final look I then proceeded to weld up the corners. I recheck the fit… I was good to go. Happy with the fit and look I decided to paint it. I liked the look of the paint I used on the tanks (see earlier tank posts) so I decided to use it again. I am happy with the final product. I used metal that I already had so the cost was just time. I probably could have bought it and made life easier, but I enjoyed the process and I have a little more satisfaction in the project.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #156
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
here are a few picks of the final product. I think it looks good considering this is meant to be a daily driver & not a show build....
I think it looks better than good! Looks awesome! Good job
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #157
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

THANKS! Tina, the piazz de' resistance .. ofcourse are the center grille pieces!
Old 05-24-2022, 09:02 PM   #158
EricU

Rodstored,

Just read through your build, nice job!

I think that we need a little update???

And where did you get that grill? Is it aftermarket? How does it fit? I noticed that you ditched the phantom grill. I prefer the factory trim myself.

Keep up the good work!
Old 05-25-2022, 11:11 AM   #159
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

ericU,
Thanks For taking the time to read!! Updates are in the works… it is excruciating to post! … !!! The grille and headlight bezels are repops from LMC truck, the pieces fit pretty good, I did do some minor “tweaking” to get a better fit for the grille. Overall I think the fit & finish is good. yea I am not a fan of the phantom grilles… although in H.S. I did put a thin bar billet grille on my ’79 big 10 … LOL!!
Thank you for the compliments… I am justa humble wanna be home garage builder!
Old 07-28-2022, 12:07 PM   #160
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

well I am happy to report that ...... SHE RUNS!!! well did for about 10 minutes... the good news is that the wiring appears to be correct & other than needing a exhaust system, alignment, & dash programing(settings) and a tune... she WOULD be driving. now! for the bad news... the " great deal" on the engine appears to NOT have been such a great deal . I am in the beginning process of a install again.....

more to come!
Old 11-21-2022, 07:04 PM   #161
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Well, I have accomplished a lot in the last few months. I will start with the not so good stuff. After getting the engine to turn over and could check the wiring was correct (best of my knowledge – no fires or explosions) the engine locked up on me!! I was confused & VERY DISAPOINTED IN ME! It appeared as though in all my checks and to do items… I seemed to have forgotten the most important item… OIL! Partly due to my scatter brains, but also the engine came shipped with a filter attached & so it kept slipping my mind to actually check/add….. arrrggg. So, I began the cumbersome task of removing it so I can have it rebuilt – had a HUGE HELP from my bestest friends! THANK YOU GUYS!! So, the engine was delivered to the rebuilder & a day later I received a call from him… interesting call to say the least! First, he indicated that the block was too damaged to be used & that I would need to find a suitable rebuildable replacement block…AAARRRGGG!! AGAIN! The interesting news he shared after the tear down was that the block was damaged by the fact that the crank was rubbing against the inside block wall (bad rebuild) he indicated that the engine had been “rebuilt” and not the engine that I was under the impression it was. On a side note, I don’t think the place I bought the drop out package from had prior knowledge – I believe the OG owner had a mishap & the engine was poorly rebuilt before his good fortune (my bad misfortune) of getting t-boned and totaling the truck. I have a video of the engine being started and running previously of being bought. Anyways on with the story… I was able to find a good core that had matching block numbers so it could be used. The rebuilder is a close friend of the friend that helped pull the engine with me. So… the rebuilt to stock (mellings HV oil pump and bigger valves) engine was done & we installed it back in the truck 2 weeks later!... yep! Just 2 weeks to pull, rebuild & re-install the motor! Crazy!! I am blessed to have very patient friends! After double checking the wire connections … AND…. Verifying all fluids were in & levels checked… she started right up & runs (as the wife said after she heard it) A LOT smoother! So, to finish this post up the truck is running and can drive around.! YYYAAA!!! I still need to get exhaust & alignment, so not “road worthy” quite yet. All in all, considering the circumstances I feel very blessed to have completed the build related to the running and driving part.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:07 PM   #162
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

pics!!
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2022, 10:02 AM   #163
SCOTI

Dang.... Sucks about the path endured but sweet victory it is in the end!
Congrats on the progress.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #164
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

scoti, thank you! yea I was really disappointed in myself.... the wife was very surprised (happy) that when I realized what happen that I did not have lightning strike me down!! the rebuilder indicated that the OG engine crank had the "yellow" markings on it as well as the rings where not "aligned" like should be. he was positive that the engine had been worked on previously to my circumstance, he indicated that although i did not help the situation, the damage was already being done & would not have lasted much longer-even if i had put oil in. although the weird thing is that the engine never sounded off or appeared to run "weird/noisy". these new fangled LS motors!....LOL!!
Old 11-22-2022, 11:32 AM   #165
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

I have been busy working on the Dakota Digital dash install lately. it went in ok, the wiring was a bit of a struggle. I could get my code reader to communicate, but the BIM module would not, later discovered that i needed to have a better/dedicated ECM ground to chassis. once I fixed the my end of the wiring the BIM module perked up as needed and the gauges appear to be working now. I have also installed the seats too. I will attach pictures soon.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:49 PM   #166
SCOTI

Quote:
scoti, thank you! yea I was really disappointed in myself.... the wife was very surprised (happy) that when I realized what happen that I did not have lightning strike me down!! the rebuilder indicated that the OG engine crank had the "yellow" markings on it as well as the rings where not "aligned" like should be. he was positive that the engine had been worked on previously to my circumstance, he indicated that although i did not help the situation, the damage was already being done & would not have lasted much longer-even if i had put oil in. although the weird thing is that the engine never sounded off or appeared to run "weird/noisy". these new fangled LS motors!....LOL!!
I scored a 5.3 winter of 2021 (the week between x-mas/NYE). Was supposed to be motor/trans/exhaust manifolds/ECU/pedal but when he showed up the price was the same w/no trans. Supposedly running/driving combo that worked well (the guy was upsizing to a stroked 6.2 set-up). I passed it to my buddy who was only going to put a mild STG-II truck cam in it..... until he saw the cam journals & bearings. Wound up getting all new bearings, clean-up work, w/honing/polishing & going back together.

The $750 'deal' turned out to be a ~2k rebuild w/all the tweaks.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-22-2022, 03:21 PM   #167
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Scoti, I feel for you/him.... hindsight I would have just had the guy build me a motor to begin with (he did that for my friend- built 6.0L for '64 impala), but I did get a good complete package: ECM, motor, trans., stock uncut complete harness, factory fuse box w/ all X connectors and the pedal. The only bad part was ofcourse the motor. overall I "feel" like it was still ok. Everything was less $4K including shipping from ohio). yea..yea... I know "but your in AZ" ..... I checked around for some time & could not get a comparable deal for the same price or cheaper....
Old 11-22-2022, 05:36 PM   #168
SCOTI

Quote:
Scoti, I feel for you/him.... hindsight I would have just had the guy build me a motor to begin with (he did that for my friend- built 6.0L for '64 impala), but I did get a good complete package: ECM, motor, trans., stock uncut complete harness, factory fuse box w/ all X connectors and the pedal. The only bad part was ofcourse the motor. overall I "feel" like it was still ok. Everything was less $4K including shipping from ohio). yea..yea... I know "but your in AZ" ..... I checked around for some time & could not get a comparable deal for the same price or cheaper....
Glad you persevered in the end.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-01-2022, 01:11 PM   #169
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

A great update!… I am unofficially able to drive it! I was blessed to be able to get BOTH…yes both the exhaust and the alignment completed on the Wednesday before thanksgiving. I trailered the truck to the exhaust shop, while there, I thought “well maybe” the alignment place is not too busy as well… so a quick call to them & I was able to schedule the truck for alignment right after the exhaust was done… both places were about 2 blks apart. Once both those items were checked off the “to do” list my buddy said ”well… why don’t you just go ahead and drive it home and I will follow behind you”. I was nervous, since the truck had not really been driven before, mainly just started a few times and a quick jaunt around the block. Well I was able to drive it home with no problems, except for no vital readings as the Dakota digital dash is still a work in progress (more on that later). I am ecstatic to report that the truck drove pretty good & it was a nice surprise to make it without any issues. There are still A LOT of little things to work out, but overall, it did pretty good.
Pics of the trip to the muffler shop & then a obligatory picture of the exhaust tip
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2022, 07:04 PM   #170
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Love the way the tips exit on the exhaust! Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the solid chrome center strip on the grille. Looks awesome!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:27 AM   #171
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

corts60, thank you! yes I agree.. i do like the the center strip as chrome, I have seen it a few times, but not ever with a color coordinated "bowtie". it was only possible due to the great condition that I received the parts from TKCR I was able to work on a few electrical issues this weekend. I believe that I FINALLY have the DD dash BIM issue figured out... basically i needed to add another resistor at the end of the canbus which in my case is my OBD2 port. I will post the problem and fix in the LS swap section. now for the hardest part of the project!!.... I am going to figure out the steps to get the truck thru AZ emissions!!!
Old 12-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #172
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Love the way the tips exit on the exhaust! Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the solid chrome center strip on the grille. Looks awesome!
All you have to do is clean the color vinyl tape off and Polish. The new ones comes with the white tape, and since it’s new the tape usually peels off fairly easy leaving the stainless steel.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2022, 06:17 PM   #173
TKCR

Quote:
corts60, thank you! yes I agree.. i do like the the center strip as chrome, I have seen it a few times, but not ever with a color coordinated "bowtie". it was only possible due to the great condition that I received the parts from TKCR I was able to work on a few electrical issues this weekend. I believe that I FINALLY have the DD dash BIM issue figured out... basically i needed to add another resistor at the end of the canbus which in my case is my OBD2 port. I will post the problem and fix in the LS swap section. now for the hardest part of the project!!.... I am going to figure out the steps to get the truck thru AZ emissions!!!
Keep the updates coming. Enjoyed seeing everything that you done to the truck, good work!
Old 12-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #174
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Tina, thanks for the compliments and the help!! I am at the point now where I am "test driving" the truck around...
Old 12-19-2022, 11:41 AM   #175
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

I have ALOT of little issues to fix, one being the AZ EMISSIONS CRAP...AARRGG. Anyways the truck over all so far drives ok. I still have to figure out the DBW code issues - I THINK I just need to delete the factory X109 connector & just run continuous wire(s)? I took it thru emissions and it passed the "sniffer" portion but it fails the tank pressure test & the vacuum test related to the charcoal canister I feel the tank pressure portion is related to the vents I am using (same as luke embry used on his build) maybe too big/open?? anyways.. overall happy with the truck & just need to fix typical driving "comforts"....

I will try to post my radio install & speaker items soon as well.