The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2022, 07:32 PM   #51
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: 1979 C10 SWB Build - Off To Hawaii

Are you installing a lift shackle or a drop shackle?
A drop shackle is going to make the rear lower than it is already.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:57 PM   #52
airspeed247

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Are you installing a lift shackle or a drop shackle?
A drop shackle is going to make the rear lower than it is already.
Damn, I totally had a Ford moment and did the geometry wrong in my head. For some reason I was thinking it was like adding blocks to a SUA vs SOA. That it would add lift vs drop. You're absolutely right. Great call as I still have time to return these shackles and get lift shackles. It's not a huge deal as I really only want to gain an inch. More for comfort that anything since I wasn't able to correct with leafs just yet but regardless. Great call. I'll swap those out.

Coming from Jeep YJ's I was thinking it would give me a lift with the longer shackles with SUA but totally slipped on the contact points. Thank you. Another win for this thread.
airspeed247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 12:13 AM   #53
airspeed247

Wanted to update this as I'm hoping to be back on the mainland in a short couple of months. Truck was delivered to some relatives and is presently waiting in Texas. Unfortunately I had to leave it when we shifted over to Hawaii but it's been in good hands. I actually recently re-enlisted and am headed back to Texas for some pre-lim training in July. Plans are to send my Gladiator over, grab a trailer and pickup the C10 and take it with me to my training. That's the goal. If all goes well in Texas and I pass pre-lim I should be heading back to Florida for a while. Taking the truck over there with me and will continue to work on it there.

My wife has this assumption that since I picked up a Gladiator on the island that I will be selling the C10 while I'm in Florida. Good thing she isn't coming with me for my training! lol. I'll convince her that I needed to keep it. UNLESS someone offers me a Chevelle in trade then this truck isn't going far. I'll figure out from there if I'm going to ship it over to Hawaii with me after/if I make it through the training or if I'm going to leave it at my folks to grab when we move back off this island.

I'll keep this updated.
Attached Images

Last edited by airspeed247; 04-16-2023 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:28 AM   #54
airspeed247

Did forget to mention that our family members have been starting the truck and driving it around the property every once in a while to keep it good to go. Unfortunately I was sent this picture though. I’ve never had issues with spacers or adapters but I had to use the included adapters to add the wheels to the truck when I picked these wheels up. I think there’s an issue with the lug nuts but won’t be able to confirm until I get back. I have brand new adapters ready to go, just wasn’t able to install them before I left (in hindsight it would have saved this issue from happening) but I’ll get it dialed back in when I return. Am really interested to see what failed but unfortunately the family members watching the truck aren’t able to work on it for me. Classic problems with being so far away. Easy fix I’m sure but sucks to have to see and sit around a wait on fixing.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2023, 12:33 AM   #55
airspeed247

ALSO….

So I also picked up this 61’ from my dad. (It’s also in Texas but at a separate location) It has the original inline 6 in it and has been started but hasn’t been on the road in at least a decade. Probably more than that. My dad replaced the tires and did some maintenance to get it started again.

I may run into an issue where I unfortunately have to pick one or the other though as carrying around two trucks plus my daily may be an issue. Not sure which route I will choose if that happens but I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. I just hate to see this one sitting at my folks in the yard
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2023, 08:11 AM   #56
Corts60
Just here to tinker

That sucks about the spacers! I’d be interested to see what actually failed as well.

I feel you about these choices…I wish I had some property to keep all the trucks I want to have!

However, if you feel you can’t keep the 61, I’d be happy to give her a new home with me!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 12:55 AM   #57
airspeed247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
That sucks about the spacers! I’d be interested to see what actually failed as well.

I feel you about these choices…I wish I had some property to keep all the trucks I want to have!

However, if you feel you can’t keep the 61, I’d be happy to give her a new home with me!
I appreciate that. The 61' will most likely be going up for sale next week.

FINALLY getting back to Texas and going to pick up the 79' and see what went wrong with it next weekend as well. I will update this as soon as I can. Still can't figure it out and I know it's something simple.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:43 AM   #58
airspeed247

FINALLY. Have an update.

So I finally got back to Texas and ended up selling the 61. I had bought it from my dad but hadn't seen it in about 7 years. Since then the roof had started to leak pretty bad and there were rust issues all across the front of the cab and leaking down the posts. Made it an easy decision to focus on the 79'. Fortunately it found a new home pretty quick and I'm happy with the decision.

Back to the 79.

So last I had heard the wheel fell off and it no longer started. No clue on why either was happening but I could only assume the battery had died and the wheel issue, no idea.

I figured the best option would be to load up a trailer, bring a friend and a bunch of tools and assess it when I finally got my hands on her again. Last time I had seen it was last September so I really didn't know what to expect.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:54 AM   #59
airspeed247

Getting to it we checked out the rear wheel situation first. Figured at the very least if we could get that back on then we could roll it up on the trailer and figure out the starting issue at my friends house.

I had assumed something happened with the wheel adapter but after checking everything out the wheel adapter was actually perfectly fine. (Had wheel adapters as the bolt patterns for the truck and the wheels I had were different)

- I'd also like to note that I have been using wheel adapters/spacers for the last decade in various aspects and never (knock on wood) have I had an issue with them when installed correctly. -

After inspecting it looked like the lug nuts had literally just come loose and fallen off. Which makes zero sense as I checked all of them before it was shipped and then it was only driven a few laps around the farm after it had arrived. So my only thought is that, quite possibly, someone had tried to remove the wheel when it was being shipped as it was parked on the trailer overnight at one point. It's the only thing I can think of that even makes sense.

So after reinstalling the lug nuts and adding some air in the tires, that was good to go. Extremely happy with one easy fix.

Moving on to it not starting.

I assumed it was just the battery that had died. I had just installed a new Duralast AGM pretty recently before I shipped it. I prefer the Duralast AGM's over the Optimas after scouring the internet for reviews. This has been my 3rd Duralast AGM and they have all been great. We tossed some jumper cables on and let it charge for a few minutes. Quickly got her to turn over and with a little starter fluid in the carb she started right up and ran just as before.

Issue number 2, box checked.

At this point I hopped in, dodged the dozen wasps that had made homes in about 4 different locations in various areas of the truck and drove it right on the trailer. Needless to say that was a great feeling.
Old 08-06-2023, 01:01 AM   #60
airspeed247

(Having some issues posting pictures but will keep trying)

Goal was to get it over to my parents house and on the way stop back at my friend who was helping me outs house and toss on the new shackles I referenced prior and some new adapters that would give me an extra 1/2" that I had bought when I thought one of the adapters broke.

Pulled off the wheels and an adapter and instantly realized I made a total Ford owner move and bought the wrong hub diameter adapters. None of them worked on all four corners as they were too small. Not usually a big deal but working in the Texas heat made it an unfortunate waste of time. I'll need to pickup some new ones with the right inner diameter but for now the ones on it work fine. I just wanted a bit more offset if I could get it. (Yes new wheels are the better option but I want to get a wider tire and a 1/2" wider adapter to give it a fuller look to work with what I have)

Next up was tossing on the rear shackles I had picked up to raise the rear slightly. This was a temporary fix for two things. First being for the rear leafs that someone had torched to lower. (I'm still searching for a reasonably priced set of stock rear leaf springs to swap on) and I also want to C-notch the rear. So this was a temporary fix.

We removed the rear shackles and tossed a new one on the drivers side. After lowering the truck back down though we realized really quick though that it wasn't going to work. While it did give the truck the slightly better ride height that I wanted, it also hit the hanger and the bolt was rubbing as well. So we ended up having to scrap the idea and just put the factory one back on. Not a huge deal as I'm going to C-Notch it when I can but still sucked to waste the time.

No go number 2.

The overall great news though, was after taking the battery back to the parts store and having them try and charge it (I believe they put it on the wrong charger) they warrantied the battery since they couldn't charge it and I got to toss a brand new AGM into the truck. It fired right up again and we got to drive it around with zero issues other than few angry relocated wasps. Whom we ended up disposing of.

Later that afternoon I loaded it back up and dropped it off at my parents house. Now my parents can start it and drive it around while I'm here.

Goal now is to complete my training in North Texas (which if all goes well I will finish this month) and then pick the truck back up with me and take to Florida for the rest of my training. There I'm hoping to do the rear C-notch, find some new doors to swap on, get the A/C working and just keep dialing in things to make it a weekend warrior.

Long story short, its nice to have it back running and driving and I look forward to taking it with me to Florida. From there I'll figure out what to do with it after I finish my training and find out where my wife will be stationed next.

Last edited by airspeed247; 08-06-2023 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2023, 01:20 AM   #61
airspeed247

Finally got the pictures to work

Picking it up with my buddies truck and then towing it over to my folks.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2023, 10:02 AM   #62
Getter-Done

Have the fires affected you?

Are you and your family okay?
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:52 PM   #63
airspeed247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Have the fires affected you?

Are you and your family okay?

Thank you for asking. Luckily my wife and daughter are on Oahu and are good to go. If they had been in that situation I'm really not sure how that would have played out. So we are extremely fortunate.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:04 PM   #64
airspeed247

Was super fortunate to be able to make it through my training in North Texas. Was able to graduate on of the 5 original students out of 24. So meant alot to be able to knock that out and be able to move on to the next school.

Whats really funny is that means I get to bring the truck right back full circle to where I picked it up. Drove 6 hours to my folks place today and loaded it up and hoping to be in Florida with it tomorrow.

One of the first things I want to address is getting new lug nuts for the wheels. I think the ones on there are too skinny. They are 12x1.5 and the recommended size for Torque Thrust wheels is the 1/2x20 or 14mm size. So I'm going to get the 1/2x20 and some new wheel adapters. (Adapters because the wheels are 5x4.5 and as you know the truck is 5x5) I would prefer to have 5x5 wheels but I have this setup and want to use it.

After i get the lug nut situation fixed (which I hope will keep the wheel falling off issue from ever happening again; although I still think they were loose because someone tried to steal them when it was being transported) I think I'm going to get a wider wheel setup. Then drive it, work on a few little things that are still wrong and then try and source some new doors and new rear leaf springs.

First things first. Lets get to Florida tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2023, 11:08 PM   #65
airspeed247

Loaded up and ready for the trip tomorrow
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2023, 09:47 PM   #66
Getter-Done

Glad to Hear you and your family are Safe.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:11 PM   #67
LT7A

Neat little truck! Good luck with all of your moves and training. I would source some used OEM leaf springs and be done with it. I would also get some wheels that are setup right for the truck. I'm not being critical and I know that's a major expense but you are having to chase that issue round and round with the wheel trying to come off, wanting new adaptors, and buying new lug nuts. Then I would get to the bottom of that caliper bolt interference. There is significant heat and stress generated there and I don't think modified bolts are a long term solution for a critical system like the brakes. I admire your determination and hope you can get the time and funds to enjoy the truck. Congratulations on your high placement in your training class!
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote