The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2022, 10:03 AM   #1
nvrdone

crazy anti theft idea

Im thinking of adding a second brake light switch and wiring it into the starter circuit. Since its a 4 spd, you would have to push the brake pedal down and then turn the key to start? any thoughts? anyone done something similar?
Thanks
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
joedoh

Re: crazy anti theft idea

i used to do auto security, we did this on old GMs that were easy to peel the column and start, we used a starter interrupt relay wired normally open and used a headlight switch or wiper switch. so the lights or wipers had to be on to start. we fielded calls from people who forgot!

although i didnt like either of those because someone could learn the procedure by watching from outside. sometimes just an extra hidden momentary switch is what we would install. a brake switch is something I never thought of!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
_Ogre

efi would work, carb not so much

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 01:51 PM   #4
mr48chev

A hidden momentary switch as Joedoe said, works real well. hidden where you have easy access from the drivers seat with your left hand while working the ignition switch with your right.

It could be a low amp switch that triggers a relay that is in the wire from the igniton switch to the solenoid for that matter. It could even be a toggle or rocker switch that activates the relay or connects the start wire.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 03:02 PM   #5
nvrdone

It is just an idea as I dont like extra switches. I did see one setup where the momentary switch was behind the cigar lighter but that required pushing in with the right hand and turning the key with the left hand. but if the key switch was on the left side ......
Old 10-30-2022, 03:18 PM   #6
e015475

My '49 starts by momentarily engaging a manual relay to the starter by pulling one of the knobs on the dash once you've turned the key to 'on'

Between this unconventional start method and the manual transmission, I've convinced myself that I've got a reasonable deterrent to theft ( well up to now, anyway) A downside is that it isn't always immediately intuitive to pull a knob to start the truck if it stalls in traffic.

I had a Honda Civic hatchback for a while that seemed to be the object of desire of the high-school fart-can crowd a few years back, and I'd often leave it at the airport, flight line or work parking lot for extended periods. I put an ubiquitous looking fuse in the ECM power feed and just took it out when I left the car for long periods. It wasn't theft proof by any means, but anything to discourage them a little so they'd move on
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:00 PM   #7
nvrdone

maybe if I just didnt wire in the start circuit from the key and put a momentary pull switch behind the old choke knob - i have an electric choke - that might work well
Old 10-30-2022, 10:42 PM   #8
vintovka

If your talking about requiring the right foot to be on the brake pedal to engage starter i will tell you i just tried it and it (IMHO) flat sucks. My 54 has the original hydromatic push button on the dash and not the floor stomper. First off it was extremely awkward for me to use when starting . Second it was very hard to pump the gas petal when needed during start up. I removed the brake switch wiring in a hurry and the NSS works just fine. For anti theft i have kill switch with removable key that immobilizes the truck. In addition i have the newest alarm system that also has a starter kill built in. Its wired so it remains active when the kill switch is "off". The added benefit is the kill switch saves much of the battery power when it is off.

Last edited by vintovka; 10-30-2022 at 10:48 PM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 08:43 AM   #9
scott123

Not helpful information but the post triggered a fond memory.

In the 80's I was an electrician in the Naval Nuclear Field. We left on a road trip on a 1970's CJ-5. It caught fire in a parking lot and burned most of the harness with us being three hours form the base. We went to a Pep Boys and bought every toggle switch they had and maybe even all the rolls of wire they had.

When we finished the Jeep had switches for everything to get home.

Then we added four more toggle switches on the dash panel for ****s and giggles. They were wired so one up, two down and one up then push the start button. Almost like a combination lock.

If you have ever driven a worn out Jeep thru the mountains with toggle switches for headlights, turn signals, brake lights, horn, etc. etc. you might see the funny.

Apologies.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:40 PM   #10
mr48chev

Back about 25 years ago I bought a 63/65 GMC from my buddy to use as a work truck. It had a 30 gallon stainless tank on the front of the flatbed. He had gotten it in a horse trade with a guy who had a garage and sometimes towed cars.

It would fire right up and run pretty good if you poured gas in the float bowl but died when the float bowl ran dry. put a couple of gallons of gas in the tank and same thing.

I finally got under the truck and started tracing the fuel line and right under the drivers side was a 3 way fuel valve with the unused side disconnected that was turned to off. That gives an out of gas situation gas or no gas. An electric tank switch valve would let you shut the fuel off with a toggle switch and if you ran the float bowl or liine dry it wouldn't start no matter how someone hooked up ignition wiring. You just have to plug off one side and shut the fuel off with a flip of the switch.
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:08 PM   #11
leegreen

lots of good disable ideas here, I can see a 12 point checklist being required before the truck will start!

For visible deterrent I wired a bright 12V blinking LED in so that it gets power when the interior lights are in 'door mode' and grounds through the alternator. So if I leave the interior lights set so they come on when door opens, the LED will blink anytime the motor is not running. If I set the interior lights off the LED is off.

I once built a street legal VW dune buggy. This was before steering wheel lock bars were a thing. I had a chain welded to the cage that was just long enough to padlock to the steering wheel.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:14 PM   #12
vintovka

The blinking light works as I have seen low lifes scoping vehicles in parking lots and they seem to move on to easier ones with no visible warnings. My "simple" system does it all for under $50 . For like $100 some call you if alarm goes off. And then there GPS tracking that you can even shut vehicle down with. There's a guy on the net whose rents high end cars. He can track and record every location speed, steering, engine revs, braking patterns and so on and and busts abusive renters. I would add my experience with the brake switch lead me to really think about NOT installing things that make it difficult for the owner -- especially in an emergency.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:33 PM   #13
_Ogre

Duvall WA must be a terrible place to live. When I park the TRUK in the garage I leave the key on the spare. All my DD have the keys in the ignition, even when parked outside. I assume that you know where Motown is? Detroit baby, yeah I'm in a suburb

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:51 PM   #14
nvrdone

Duvall actually has the 2nd lowest crime rate in king county. Thats where seattle is. My concern is if I take the truck out into down town Seattle Everett ot Tacoma. Thats where the majority of vehicle thefts in Western Washington happen.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:39 PM   #15
Florida5100

Floor start, manual transmission and a hidden AirTag is enough for me.
Heidts SuperRide II / 4-link / coil-overs / Wilwood disc
47-style gas tank / 54-style side spare / vintage Fulton
On the road again ...
Florida5100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 01:41 AM   #16
mr48chev

Most everything we are mentioning works with the joy rider or the hot wire artist who is looking for easy pickings.

The thing lately and I think what is happening around some big car shows in motel and other parking lots is the thieves driving repo rigs. My sisters 84 Monte Carlo Supersport got stolen out of the Mercer Island park and ride lot a few years ago and I'd bet dollars to donuts that they snagged it with a repo rig. No one is going to quiestion it and just walk away thinging that the poor bugger got his car repoed.

From experience you will forget to flip the switches when you shut the car off far more often than you will forget to flip them on when you get in the truck. The switches or controls have to be where you can reach them without any extra stretching or reaching though. As I said earler, James rode in my 48 a number of times before he figured out that I didn't have a key in the switch. You just about have to push the clutch pedal on my 77 though the floor before it starts because the clutch switch doesn't release unless the pedal is all the way down and maybe beyond down..

I'd really like to see someone make a reliable hood latch that is cable operated and had a lock on it like a lot of Ford trucks did a few years ago. Pain in the keester when you are the mechanic working on one of those Fords but that kept anyone from easily hotwiring one under the hood.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:52 AM   #17
CG
BlahBlahBlah

On my 62 Ford unibody I put in a new ign switch and made it power on only, then and I took apart the lighter and made it my start button using a momentary push buttons guts. Turn on key, push in the button that looked like a lighter to anyone else, start her up and let go of the lighter push button.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 08:10 PM   #18
1project2many

I like the brake switch idea, except that almost all of today's vehicles require the driver to press the brake switch before the car will start. It could be so natural for a potential thief to do this that they will defeat the anti-theft without even realizing it.

I personally like to use misdirection as a security feature. The cigar lighter starter button is a great example. A vintage garage door opener attached to the dash and connected to a normally open pushbutton is not likely to look like an antitheft device. Press and hold the door opener switch to enable the starter then turn the key to "start."

Set up a normally open magnetic switch to close the circuit to a starter relay. Place the switch inside the bottom of a stuffed animal. When the animal is sitting on steel the starter relay can be engaged. Place the toy on the dash to drive, set it on the floor when you park. So what if people see the wires? There's a very slim chance they'll think it's anything other than some sort of 12V cutie toy.

Get a low pressure air or brake fluid switch and attach it to a vintage or reproduction windshield washer "pump" pedal and bellows. Most folks won't have any idea what the washer pump pedal is for. And if they know, they won't be trying to use it to start the truck.

I love the idea of the fuel valve handle. But use the handle to operate a battery disconnect switch. Be sure to label the switch "Fuel tank" clearly indicating L and R to conceal the on and off positions.

What about making it obvious? An old fashioned SPDT "Frankenstein" switch placed in plain sight is not likely to suggest it's being used as an antitheft device. Again, a label such as "Tesla Coil" could convince folks to believe it's only a novelty.

Mount a small light with a round base on a rotary switch. Turn the switch on the way out to disable the starter. It could be mounted on the ceiling so it looks like a dome light. Simple trick that few would think to look for.

Worst part is that none of it stops a guy with a wheel lift from taking the truck. Sad but true.

Last edited by 1project2many; 11-01-2022 at 08:26 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:06 PM   #19
vintovka

Switch marked "self destruct"???
Old 11-01-2022, 09:08 PM   #20
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Bwahahah!!! With a beeper!!!
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:21 PM   #21
vintovka

Better yet a prerecorded countdown in a computer voice???
Old 11-01-2022, 09:56 PM   #22
leegreen

I've been saving this for years
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  20.5 KB

But mostly I want visible deterrent to make them go break into someone else's car.
With HEI and mechanical fuel pump column lock, anyone that knows their stuff can drive my truck away with a slide hammer and jumper wire and a screwdriver, no matter how obscure I make the startup procedure.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #23
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post

maybe just one marked "OFF". who would push a switch marked off to start a truck?

you guys reminded me, when I had a truck with electric door poppers it could happen that you lock your keys in it, or the battery goes dead from sitting. I cut apart a makita drill (remember those? ) battery charger and mounted just the battery socket up inside the fender on the bed with a rubber flap on it. battery dead? just take a makita battery and pop it in the slot, door pops open.

and you could do the same thing with any doo dad, use a usb drive that is just hardwired inside to turn on a relay and allow starting, no one would ever think that was it. you could even wire it NORMALLY OPEN so that REMOVING the usb drive would let it start. when people ask what it is say your music on a drive.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:47 PM   #24
nvrdone

I like that usb drive idea.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:21 AM   #25
nvrdone

another thought. since my headlight dimmer is controlled by the turn signal stalk, how about using the old headlight high / low switch. must be clicked into the right position before starter will work. maybe im overthinking this.