The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2022, 02:59 PM   #26
_Ogre

Re: crazy anti theft idea

that actually sounds pretty good. you can unclick for normal driving/starting and click for sketchy areas
or put a start switch on the floor you always need to push

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:10 PM   #27
vintovka

I feel pretty good when i must leave mine parked away from home. The procedure of removing cutoff "key". Locking doors and setting alarm/gps now seems natural. Cutoff switch is not visible when door is closed but convenient enough to reach when entering or seated. If someone determined wants to steal it theres really no way to stop them anyway.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:49 PM   #28
dsraven

yeah, if they wanna steal it they will creep you, find your parking spot for the night or daytime if parked for longer periods, then come calling with a deck or tow truck after hours. like a repo guy would. one good reason to have a good park brake and use it, it just makes more noise when they drag in onto the deck or whatever.
I have thought a cheap phone with the "find my phone" feature would be good to keep somewhere in the vehicle in spots where you might feel nervous.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:52 PM   #29
dsraven

yeah, if they wanna steal it they will creep you, find your parking spot for the night or daytime if parked for longer periods, then come calling with a deck or tow truck after hours. like a repo guy would. one good reason to have a good park brake and use it, it just makes more noise when they drag in onto the deck or whatever.
I have thought a cheap phone with the "find my phone" feature would be good to keep somewhere in the vehicle in spots where you might feel nervous.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:09 PM   #30
_Ogre

I've never even locked my TRUK or set the alarm
Lack of door handles befuddles most common thieves

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:59 AM   #31
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
I've never even locked my TRUK or set the alarm
Lack of door handles befuddles most common thieves
Suicide doors and no handles do a pretty good job of that too.

I'd think that a lot of pro thieves who are looking for enthusiast cars and trucks are using repo rigs now. I follow a guy down in Bend oregon on youtube (Casey LaDelle) who does offroad recoveries and also hauls vehicles around the pnw.

His Dodge has a stinger on it that is tucked under the truck and although he doesn't do repos that is for sure a repo rig. He can hook up and be gone in about 5 minutes and that is not a stop a quarter mile down the road and finish hooking up deal There isn't much that one can do to combat that excep lay frame and blow the tanks.

Truthfully an airbagged rig that lays frame might be an anti theft setup in it's self. Lay it out, blow the tank, pull the fuse to the compresser and it becomes way too much effort to jack your rig and they move on to easier pickings.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:55 PM   #32
nikwho

On my '59 Apache, I have two security features built in. One a hidden rocker switch for the ignition system to receive power. Its hidden enough, that if you didn't know about it, you wouldn't see it. Second, I have a momentary switch (button) that has to be held down, to close a Ford style starter relay, that allows the starter circuit to function normally, when it's closed. Thirdly, I park it with the wheels turned and a club on the steering wheel. Fourthly, it's too low for most tow trucks. So dragging it away would be at least a challenge. It is also rarely outside, eithout my eyes on it! Lastly, it's fully insured, so if someone does get it, I have an agreed declared value plan that will make me whole, if it does disappear. Though, I'd HATE to start fresh with another truck to replace it!
Old 11-28-2022, 05:27 PM   #33
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwho View Post
, I have an agreed declared value plan that will make me whole, if it does disappear. Though, I'd HATE to start fresh with another truck to replace it!
That opens up another politically induced can of worms. Replacement costs are now guess with a floating decimal point
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:51 PM   #34
mr48chev

I'm not a fan of bagged trucks that lay frame as I think it is one of those silly fads that came over from the mini trucks, On the other hand if you lay the truck out on the ground and then blow the air tank and have a hidden cut off switch for the power to the compressor that one isn't going anywhere without a lot of hassle. The guys with repo rigs aren't going to mess with it and the joy riders aren't going to figure it out or want to take the time to figure it out.

I like the Ford Solenoid idea with a hidden switch, I'd hide that Ford Solenoid too. That is well under 20 bucks for solenoid, wire and switch most of the time.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:48 AM   #35
-Dan-

How about a hidden switch under the dash that kills power to the distributor?
-Dan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:32 PM   #36
cameo

i had a lifted K5 Blazer with a manual trans. I removed the clutch safety switch and just had a jumper wire pluged into the connector. when I parked the truck, i would pull the wire and drop it in my cup holder. The starter trigger wire was interupted, no start.
when deep in the bush and needing ultra crawl mode, I could run the starter with the and drive the truck on just the starter motor. sounds crazy, but you'd be surprised at how many times that came in handy.
I also had a Nissan Pathfinder that i did this on, and when my fuel pump crapped out, on a major freeway, I was able to drive the truck up over the curb to avoid getting rearended at 65 mph.
cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:37 PM   #37
MD2020

I had a 66 Chevelle back when I was young and it had some kind of short in the wiring and it would drain the battery. And where I worked some one tried to steel it 2 times, what they did not know was I would pull off the negative battery cable at work always and some times at home.
I carried a brick and would sometimes park my back tire on the brick (or a slope at a store) and jump start it (4 speed) or a Date would have to push start it.
I knew I had a good date if she jump out real quick and pushed.
I kept it tune all the time.
I got pulled over by the Police one time and he made me turn it off so I had to push start it by myself after he drove off.

I was young with no money and had a Junkey car but it looked good and ran good.
After all that rambling just put a disconnect for the battery.
I will defiantly use some kind of disconnect on the truck I'm building.
Attached Images

MD2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:48 PM   #38
dsraven

That's a good one MD, I wonder if your date wondered why she could drive while you pushed, lol.
My date (now wife for the last 38 yrs) was gonna do a funny once while putzing through her community on the drive home. She slipped my V8 Vega into neutral as a joke. Problem was she slipped in to reverse by accident. It stalled. Good old turbo 350 never even skipped a beat though. It was a pretty quiet trip the last 2 blocks back to her house. Haha.
I still bring that up sometimes, to keep her honest.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:03 PM   #39
MD2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
That's a good one MD, I wonder if your date wondered why she could drive while you pushed, lol.
My date (now wife for the last 38 yrs) was gonna do a funny once while putzing through her community on the drive home. She slipped my V8 Vega into neutral as a joke. Problem was she slipped in to reverse by accident. It stalled. Good old turbo 350 never even skipped a beat though. It was a pretty quiet trip the last 2 blocks back to her house. Haha.
I still bring that up sometimes, to keep her honest.
The detent plate has small saw tooth places to hold it in the gears.
I had a drag car with a powerglide transmission and it would not stay in PARK, I talked with the manufacture and he sent me a new one.
I always used my E-Brake on my daily driver after seeing it.
MD2020 is offline   Reply With Quote