The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2022, 12:27 AM   #1
TX3100Guy

Tail light, brake, turn signal, backup light ideas?

I'm closing in on finishing the rear of the 1953 five window and have begun thinking about ideas for lights on the back of the truck. With a new wiring harness to be installed along with a traditional rear bumper, I'm looking to integrate tail/turn/brake/backup lights.

Has anyone had any luck finding an integrated light that can be bolted on to the rear bed bolt locations?

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:32 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Tail light, brake, turn signal, backup light ideas?

Nothing that looks right on a 53 Chevy 3100.

NOTE these are lights that fit the criteria in the original post, not lights that I think would be attractive or fitting on and AD or TF for that matter. Some would be grear on a later flatbed though.

You know my reputaiton by now, I am a stickler for everything in a build being a cohesive part of the total build style and it has to be a working part of the total look and not looks stuck on or added as an afterthought.

A bunch of vendors on Ebay are selling led tail, stop, turn and backup light units for trailers or trucks that would look great on my car trailer or my boat trailer if I could find a waterproof set. The problem is that on and AD they are going to look like you took the easy way out and stuck trailer lights on it.

Turn lights integrated with the stop and tail bulb all depend on what turn signal switch you use. The brake lights have to run though the turn signal switch for it to work.

I bought a pair of these Narrow 10 inch Led light for a utility trailer I am building because the fit in the 3 inch channel that the frame is made out of and are protected.

More fitting if you don't want taillights mounted on traditional brackets off the side of the bed are 41/48 Chevy car taillights mounted under the tailgate. YOu could mount some 2 inch round flushmount backup lights or do like I am planning and mount a pair of slightly hidden backup lights under the bed.

Or a fairly simple does all three led that is in the shape of a standard 6 inch oval truck/trailer light and used the regular mount for one. The Grote number and brand means that they are easy to find and are a decent quality.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 11-18-2022 at 03:52 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:38 AM   #3
mr48chev

6 inch oval with a shiny surround https://heavydutylighting.com/produc...h-backup-light
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:11 PM   #4
joedoh

I use a standard LED replacement stop/tail light, the whole housing type, to keep it looking original. for back up lights I suggest buying an LED spot/fog light like the ones the jeep guys use on their front bumpers and putting it under the bed pointing at a 45 degree angle. you will see EVERYTHING, and there is no mistaking you are backing up to anyone behind you, without blinding them.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:28 PM   #5
e015475

I followed Joedoh's advice and did the LED version of the stock tail light X2. I welded a -6 AN fitting on the stock bracket then used some 3/8" stainless tube as conduit

e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:45 PM   #6
leegreen

How do the whole housing LEDs compare to incendescent bulbs?

I paid decent coin for some twist in replacement LED bulbs, but they were not as bright for either park or brake as $2 1157 incandescent bulbs.

I also found some aluminum foil tape inside the housing makes bulbs a lot brighter.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
mr48chev

The AD Panel truck/ #9 Chevy style taillights that can be bought from a number of vendors repro or on Ebay

You can get them all chrome https://www.ebay.com/itm/351863644239

Or painted/able https://www.ebay.com/itm/35184190131...Cclp%3A2047675

They aren't the cheapest alternative but they do look right on 47/59 stepsides and the unknowing might not spot them as not being original. On that Tan TF I did a bit of a double take as they just look like they belong there.

As I mentioned earler I have a pair of driving lights like the clear ones in the last photo that I had on something way back when in a box in the shed that I've always thought would make decent backup lights on one of my rigs and can be tucked away just out of sight but light up the world behind you when you go to back up. https://www.ebay.com/itm/18564379752...Bk9SR9aZg8SRYQ

That would be real easy if you were running a stock bumper and no filler panel or roll pan.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #8
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
How do the whole housing LEDs compare to incendescent bulbs?

I paid decent coin for some twist in replacement LED bulbs, but they were not as bright for either park or brake as $2 1157 incandescent bulbs.

I also found some aluminum foil tape inside the housing makes bulbs a lot brighter.
the housings that have the custom made panels in them look like a hole in the universe, very very very bright. which is great because they are so small and so much safer.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 05:40 PM   #9
TX3100Guy

I'm not talented enough to french in the light to the fender and that's not the look I wanted anyhow. I'm thinking now of just using the factory original style but with LED's instead of incandescent lighting. I assume the new versions of these light fixtures (I don't have the originals) can act as tail/turn/brake lights. I see new fixtures (and brackets) on the old Brothers website, but will shop around before I spend that much.

As for the backup light I happen to have a brand new LED fixture from my Jeep days (about 6 inches wide) that is bright enough to light up a crime scene. I like the idea of mounting in under the vehicle but tilted slightly so as not to blind anyone. It should do a bang up job when backing up.

Last edited by TX3100Guy; 11-18-2022 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:38 AM   #10
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3100Guy View Post
I'm not talented enough to french in the light to the fender and that's not the look I wanted anyhow. I'm thinking now of just using the factory original style but with LED's instead of incandescent lighting. I assume the new versions of these light fixtures (I don't have the originals) can act as tail/turn/brake lights. I see new fixtures (and brackets) on the old Brothers website, but will shop around before I spend that much.
As I said earler, It all depends on what turn signal switch you use as to if your stop/tail lights will function as turn lights or you have to have separate turn lights. The old style clamp on the column switches that don't have a provision for the brake lights to connect to them have to have a separate turn signal light or bulb. The newer switches that have a wire for the brake lights can get by with just one light on the back with a dual element bulb. .

Old 11-19-2022, 11:47 AM   #11
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
As I said earler, It all depends on what turn signal switch you use as to if your stop/tail lights will function as turn lights or you have to have separate turn lights. The old style clamp on the column switches that don't have a provision for the brake lights to connect to them have to have a separate turn signal light or bulb. The newer switches that have a wire for the brake lights can get by with just one light on the back with a dual element bulb. .
I have a brand new Autowire wiring harness and fuse panel (with flasher relay) that is for an upgraded version of the AD. It has separate wires for turn, tail, brake, backup, license plate, and third brake light. On top of that I'm installing a new Ididit steering column with integrated turn signal stalk and four way flasher switch.

From what you've said, if I get a tradition looking rear light housing, but LED) as long as its capable of being wired for tail/turn/brake, I should be good.

Old 11-19-2022, 12:12 PM   #12
leegreen

Tail, stop, turn lights:
For two element the brakes are wired power->4way flasher->brake switch-> turn signal switch->bulbs.
Turn flasher is wired power->flasher-> turn switch

So your fuse panel, wire harness and column all need to work together.

here is a 70s-80s typical GM wiring diagram. column connector is shown with the white wire at top. Wiring in the column takes care of how brakes, turn and 4 way get activated. I copied this to wire my truck from scratch and it works

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  33.9 KB

I wired 3rd brake light from point shown by blue arrow as it needs to be independent of turn. Wired this way 3rd brake flashes with 4-way. You need two brake switches to keep it separate. My main brake switch is on pedal, but there is a currently unused brake switch on my wilwood adjustable proportioning valve, so I might redo that at some point.

In your shoes I'd probably bench test before assembling into truck. GM connectors and wire colors are a pretty common feature of hotrod wiring kits and aftermarket columns, so probably all compatible but easier to find out before you route wires.

Last edited by leegreen; 11-19-2022 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:19 PM   #13
TX3100Guy

Quote:

here is a 70s-80s typical GM wiring diagram. column connector is shown with the white wire at top. Wiring in the column takes care of how brakes, turn and 4 way get activated. I copied this to wire my truck from scratch and it works

Attachment 2232670
Attachment doesn't seem to be working.

Old 11-19-2022, 12:22 PM   #14
leegreen

I was probably editing it, I left out the 3rd brake light.
does it work now?
Old 11-19-2022, 12:22 PM   #15
TX3100Guy

Quote:
I was probably editing it, I left out the 3rd brake light.
does it work now?
Yes, thank you.

Old 11-19-2022, 08:19 PM   #16
leegreen

had the truck out in the driveway today and could get a picture of my rear lighting scheme. Not integral with reverse as you asked for, but have not seen anything like that that fit my intended look.

Factory AD truck tail/brake
3rd brake mounted on bracket inside rear window
2 short LED tail/turn lights tucked under tailgate.
4" round rubber bucket 'tractor' lights for reverse welded to hitch
license attached to underside of bumper apron with LED license light

Name:  brake.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  44.4 KB
Old 11-19-2022, 08:22 PM   #17
TX3100Guy

Quote:
had the truck out in the driveway today and could get a picture of my rear lighting scheme. Not integral with reverse as you asked for, but have not seen anything like that that fit my intended look.

Factory AD truck tail/brake
3rd brake mounted on bracket inside rear window
2 short LED tail/turn lights tucked under tailgate.
4" round rubber bucket 'tractor' lights for reverse welded to hitch
license attached to underside of bumper apron with LED license light
Wow, nice.... I like the look and may steal many/most of your ideas.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:09 PM   #18
leegreen

there is something faulty with how I explained away my third brake light flashing with 4-way.
I suspect the wiring between the LED tail lights, they are sold as a plug in accessory with 4flat trailer harness.
TBC
Old 11-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #19
mr48chev

There are so many styles of third brake lights that you can have one that is just brakes or one that is brake and signals.

The just brakes needs to be connected between the flasher and the turn signal switch to work right and have it's own wire from there.

Side note on brighter tail lights. My experience is that by painting the inside of the housings bright white you get far brighter lights than with black or dull silver inside the housing.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:00 AM   #20
leegreen

Right now I am stumped why the 3rd brake flashes with 4 way, but decided to ignore it and move on.

The white paint trick is one I used when converting factory park lights to dual element park/turn and yellow bulbs....
Name:  front.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  39.4 KB

Happy with how that turned out.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:41 PM   #21
G&R's57GMC

How about ‘53 or ‘54 Belair tail lights mounted to the rear surface of the stake pockets ?
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:28 AM   #22
mr48chev

That set of lights will get the attention of the folks behind you. That will work.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:41 PM   #23
leegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
How about ‘53 or ‘54 Belair tail lights mounted to the rear surface of the stake pockets ?
I found a reference that those are 4 1/4" wide. The stake pockets are not that wide. You could widen them, that might be interesting.

I always wanted to put this on my truck but there is nowhere large enough that it would not look silly.
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  38.8 KB
Old 11-25-2022, 01:28 AM   #24
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
I found a reference that those are 4 1/4" wide. The stake pockets are not that wide. You could widen them, that might be interesting.

I always wanted to put this on my truck but there is nowhere large enough that it would not look silly.
Attachment 2233610
On the AD trucks I saw one of these ^^^^ used as a 3rd brake light centered below the rear window. Cool looking on an AD but I think too old timey for the Task Force trucks. Just my $.02

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:02 AM   #25
leegreen

That Stop light actually came off an AD nosed school bus converted to a logging crummy , then a leaky storage shed.

If you hold it under rear window it goes from window to top of box, right over the molded belt line. I don't see any way to add it to the AD body work without it looking like a wart. It is destined to sit on a shelf for a few more years