The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Poulsbo

Question 65 c10 Newbie Engine combo advice

Hello,

This is my first post and I'm hoping the master engine builders in this forum can help me avoid some pitfalls with my first 350 build.

I'm working on a 65 c10 fleet side/long. My hope is to eventually do a full restoration...but in the meantime, I want to get it back on the road.

The original 283 has a nasty knock that I think is a spun rod bearing. So I've decided to swap it for a slightly higher performance 350 which I thought would be fun to build myself!

I'm hoping to get a moderate performance engine that is fun to drive with enough HP and torque to light'em up every now and then...but will idle at a stop light.

I bought a junkyard 350. Disassembled, cleaned, checked and machined the block and crank with my local machine shop. Swapped out the old dished pistons for new stock flat-tops. And discovered that the 993 heads were pretty much shot.

So I decided to go with a set of USA assembled Pro Comp aluminum heads. (hoped for performance enhancement on a budget.) (FYI, I've read everything I can on the Pro Comps and rest assured, I will NOT install or run them without the blessing of my machinist. I've also ordered all ARP bolts, studs and guide plates. But, they'll go back to Skip White if they don't pass the test.)

But now, as I start planning for pre-assembly I'm concerned my parts may be mismatched.

My question is, will this engine combo work? Do I need a bigger cam to match with the heads? Any advice is welcome. Here's what I'm working with:

1. 350 SBC / 4-bolt main / bored .060 over (Double checked cylinder thickness...block is sound)
2. Pro Comp 210cc runners / 62cc machined combustion chamber aluminum heads
3. 2.02 Int /1.90 Exh. PBM (Non-magnetic performance valves)
4. Edlebrock Performer 2012 aluminum intake
5. Edlebrock 1405 / 600 cfm manual choke carb
6. Speed-Pro HYD Cam with: .420Int / .442Exh / 278 deg. Int. Duration / 288 deg. Exh. Duration

Thanks for any help.
Poulsbo is offline   Reply With Quote