The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2016, 01:15 AM   #1
dmjlambert

No tone

The guy who put together my dual exhaust on my 69 CST/10 did an outstanding job and it looks really great. The one thing missing I think is adequate muffler, but the tubing is bent and welded and mounted very nice. It goes straight out the back under the bumper. I have the truck's original 350 engine, rebuilt with stock setup.

When he was setting me up he was asking what sort of tone I want. I told him no tone at all, quiet as possible. He put what I think is glass packs on there. It does not look like what I view as a muffler, with an oval can shape, but rather looks like a larger round pipe a couple of feet long before going back to the smaller 2-1/2" pipe. It's somewhat loud and the drone is getting old.

I see lots of posts (many many posts) in the forum where people talk about sound of the truck. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud or something and I apologize for that, but what I would really like is a truck like my Dad's 74 C-10 (or my Mom's 70 Cutlass) when it was new. You could barely even tell the engine was running. There was more noise coming from the radiator fan blades than the exhaust. I'm talking about completely quiet, no "tone". How do I get that? What mufflers do I install?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:20 AM   #2
Custom/20

Re: No tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
The guy who put together my dual exhaust on my 69 CST/10 did an outstanding job and it looks really great. The one thing missing I think is adequate muffler, but the tubing is bent and welded and mounted very nice. It goes straight out the back under the bumper. I have the truck's original 350 engine, rebuilt with stock setup.

When he was setting me up he was asking what sort of tone I want. I told him no tone at all, quiet as possible. He put what I think is glass packs on there. It does not look like what I view as a muffler, with an oval can shape, but rather looks like a larger round pipe a couple of feet long before going back to the smaller 2-1/2" pipe. It's somewhat loud and the drone is getting old.

I see lots of posts (many many posts) in the forum where people talk about sound of the truck. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud or something and I apologize for that, but what I would really like is a truck like my Dad's 74 C-10 (or my Mom's 70 Cutlass) when it was new. You could barely even tell the engine was running. There was more noise coming from the radiator fan blades than the exhaust. I'm talking about completely quiet, no "tone". How do I get that? What mufflers do I install?
You get rid of that by swapping out the 350 with a Prius motor.
Custom/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:35 AM   #3
67chevy_hotrod

I have flowmaster 44's and at idle they are very very reasonable. Granted I have a 268 cam and longtubes. I would imagine with a bone stock motor, she would be fairly quiet. But as we all know we have different opinions. This is just mine! I have 1 3/4 pipe all the way back
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super 10 turned K30 (sold)
67chevy_hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:42 AM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

I would go back to him and explain further what your looking for and have him fix the problem. No need to call yourself names, you like what you like. He probably thought that it was quiet, since lots of folks who get custom exhaust work go way over the other direction. You may want to look into some late model stock muffers to quiet things down.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:52 AM   #5
ryanv70c10

Get the largest turbo muffler that you can fit in there. Dynomax used to sell a Hemi turbo muffler. I have had their super turbo mufflers on 3 different small blocks and they do gave a slight tone but you cannot hear the motor at cruise at all. At certain points in the rpm band the tone becomes audible but it for the most part was silent.
ryanv70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #6
notsolo

I had built a 2.5 dual stainless exhaust for my 350, X crossover and Flowmaster mufflers. The tone was OK but the drone was aweful, after several attempts to change the tone and loose the drone. I reverted to what would have been on the truck 40 years ago, I installed a Y pipe, and used the 2.5 stainless with both Flowmaster on 1 side. It is now quiet and and the drone is gone. Good Luck.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
70cst

Maybe stay away from the specialty mufflers and go with a more standard exhaust muffler ...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Stop looking at these aftermarket performance mufflers everybody is suggesting and put a pair of stock replacement mufflers on. It's not magic, it's a muffler, and that stock (factory) sound is what you describe. Look into Walker brand for quality

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Stop looking at these aftermarket performance mufflers everybody is suggesting and put a pair of stock replacement mufflers on. It's not magic, it's a muffler, and that stock (factory) sound is what you describe. Look into Walker brand for quality

What he said^^^. Stock oval mufflers. The longer it is the quieter the sound.... I had full length exhaust with 40 knockoffs put on the '67 Panel Truck and the drone drove me crazier..... I had "J" pipes installed and no more drone. Cost me $65.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
coreyjhen

Look into the '68-'72 Cadillac mufflers (Walker 21856). It has 2½" inlets and outlets, and it sounds like a Caddy.
coreyjhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #11
dmjlambert

Thanks very much for this advice guys. I'm going shopping for some of this stuff over the next few months, and will get it nice and quiet. Perhaps the stock oval mufflers, and I have been reading about J-pipes, they sound interesting. My last resort will be the Prius motor with dancing banana! :-)
Old 12-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
dmjlambert

I was just thinking of finding somebody with a Prius and do a straight engine swap. I think it would be funny to see a Prius with a Chevy 350 crammed into it. I guess they would have difficulty passing the smog check...
Old 12-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #13
see ten
WTB this ad

I have 4 mufflers on my 59 Belair... 2 36" and 2 12"... it's quiet

vid clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40uDpqwRG8U

Last edited by see ten; 12-24-2016 at 03:45 PM.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #14
davepl

Get rid of the Flowmaster, Floprow, Blowmaster, Corsa, Borla, Whatever. Their claim to fame in most cases is being loud and annoying.

If you actually want it quiet, source a muffler and resonator intended for a Cadillac. I'd go 1967-1970 Eldorado as a random guess. They're large, but these are trucks with a lot of room.

The best thing you could likely do is call Walker exhaust. They make OEM style exhaust systems, and if you tell them what you want, I'm sure they could recommend a muffler.

I have dual Dynomax on mine, the large long ones, and you can't hear the engine much from the cab until you get into the throttle. At idle and cruise you don't hear it, and that's the way I think a truck should be. I have fast cars for the other stuff.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote