The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2022, 04:56 PM   #1
Rusty one

Exhaust routing with a Dropmember

I have a 63 with PB Extreme 3 front/ rear
Dropmembers. I'm running a sm blk with stock manifolds and it's time for the exhaust. Looking for pics from forum members who have an exhaust done or planning one.
I'd like to run it along side the outer frame rails,but not sure if there is room or even possible. ( route from exhaust mani to the rear of front tire where the frame kicks up) Looking to use 2" pipes.

Any pics and or advice would be appreciated.
TIA...
Rusty one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Exhaust routing with a Dropmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty one View Post
I have a 63 with PB Extreme 3 front/ rear
Dropmembers. I'm running a sm blk with stock manifolds and it's time for the exhaust. Looking for pics from forum members who have an exhaust done or planning one.
I'd like to run it along side the outer frame rails,but not sure if there is room or even possible. ( route from exhaust mani to the rear of front tire where the frame kicks up) Looking to use 2" pipes.

Any pics and or advice would be appreciated.
TIA...
I can't offer any pics but there's room between the outer rails & body to run exhaust. The trucks I've seen done had the tubing coming out of the manifolds into 90° bends under the area where the rails kick up for the front x-member & then 90° turns back toward the rear once outside of the rail. My old room-mate had his routed outside of the rails on a 62 (lowered but not extreme drop). The mufflers were dead-center of the cab mounts. I personally would have placed them between the front bed panel & the beginning of the wheel opening arch.

Routing height was kept the same as if it were ran within the rails (nothing was below the bottom of the rail). You'll want to be aware/mindful of rear wheel size/back-space so the pipes have enough room from the tires.

I'd start by clamping some 2"x6" lengths of .250" steel to the bottom off the frame from just in front of & just behind the cab mounts. Tape some 1/2" material down on those to set the 'height' of the tubing routed to the rear. Determine how/where you want your hangers to support the tubing there. Then it's a matter of snaking the tubing under the kick-up in front to meet the tubing coming out of the manifolds & following the rear frame kick-up to clear the axle tubes.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-13-2022 at 09:46 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:09 AM   #3
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I can't offer any pics but there's room between the outer rails & body to run exhaust. The trucks I've seen done had the tubing coming out of the manifolds into 90° bends under the area where the rails kick up for the front x-member & then 90° turns back toward the rear once outside of the rail. My old room-mate had his routed outside of the rails on a 62 (lowered but not extreme drop). The mufflers were dead-center of the cab mounts. I personally would have placed them between the front bed panel & the beginning of the wheel opening arch.

Routing height was kept the same as if it were ran within the rails (nothing was below the bottom of the rail). You'll want to be aware/mindful of rear wheel size/back-space so the pipes have enough room from the tires.

I'd start by clamping some 2"x6" lengths of .250" steel to the bottom off the frame from just in front of & just behind the cab mounts. Tape some 1/2" material down on those to set the 'height' of the tubing routed to the rear. Determine how/where you want your hangers to support the tubing there. Then it's a matter of snaking the tubing under the kick-up in front to meet the tubing coming out of the manifolds & following the rear frame kick-up to clear the axle tubes.
Thankyou for your response and advice.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

What Scoti suggested is basically how I just did mine on the IH.. I clamped angle iron on frame rails and laid a 1x on top to set my pipe height 3/4" above the bottom of the frame rail..laid my long straight sections of pipe on that and clamped it down, then fanangled my bends to connect point A to B..
It's hard to visualize yours without seeing it..
Are you building this yourself, or letting a muffler shop do it?

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
What Scoti suggested is basically how I just did mine on the IH.. I clamped angle iron on frame rails and laid a 1x on top to set my pipe height 3/4" above the bottom of the frame rail..laid my long straight sections of pipe on that and clamped it down, then fanangled my bends to connect point A to B..
It's hard to visualize yours without seeing it..
Are you building this yourself, or letting a muffler shop do it?
I started out to but my welder took a dump so I was going to get a muffler shop to do it. I wanted some pics to show its possible to run it from the exhaust mani to the kick up at the chassis then to rear of the front tire.
I figure it's only 2" pipe so a 90 should work and still have room at the front shock and tire.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
I started out to but my welder took a dump so I was going to get a muffler shop to do it. I wanted some pics to show its possible to run it from the exhaust mani to the kick up at the chassis then to rear of the front tire.
I figure it's only 2" pipe so a 90 should work and still have room at the front shock and tire.
My buddy's engine was a mild 350 & they used 2.25" tubing. A local muffler shop welded it up so it definitely can be done.

Is your welder dead or are you having issues laying consistent beads? If it's still able to pulse/tack, route the set-up & tack the pieces together. Then take it to the muffler shop & let them weld it up.

If the welder is completely dead, you can build small sections to get the routing you need using some strong masking tape to hold the 45°/90° bends together. Take them to the muffler shop & get them tacked. Go back to the truck & verify things are still good. Make corrections as needed. Repeat the effort section by section & it can be built. This is how I've built the exhaust set-ups I've done.

Once the layout is all tacked together, it can be finished welded back @ the muffler shop.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #7
Rusty one

Quote:
My buddy's engine was a mild 350 & they used 2.25" tubing. A local muffler shop welded it up so it definitely can be done.

Is your welder dead or are you having issues laying consistent beads? If it's still able to pulse/tack, route the set-up & tack the pieces together. Then take it to the muffler shop & let them weld it up.

If the welder is completely dead, you can build small sections to get the routing you need using some strong masking tape to hold the 45°/90° bends together. Take them to the muffler shop & get them tacked. Go back to the truck & verify things are still good. Make corrections as needed. Repeat the effort section by section & it can be built. This is how I've built the exhaust set-ups I've done.

Once the layout is all tacked together, it can be finished welded back @ the muffler shop.
It's dead...unfortunately I only have one car and the wife uses it to go to work every day.
I tried going to different shops a few years ago when I did another system...most don't wanna take the time to help.
I appreciate your response.
Hopefully someone has pics so I can show these shops...yes it can be done!
Old 04-13-2022, 03:54 PM   #8
SCOTI

Not a Dropmember set-up but similar routing like my buddy did on his...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...0&postcount=17

Is there a specific reason you don't want it between the rails under the body? PB's set-ups have provisions for exhaust routing so I'm curious why one wouldn't take advantage of the feature.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-13-2022, 05:43 PM   #9
SCOTI

Some decent images I found online of board member vin63 trucks exhaust...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=598305

Another w/a Dropmember...
https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=540977
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-13-2022 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #10
Rusty one

Quote:
Not a Dropmember set-up but similar routing like my buddy did on his...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...0&postcount=17

Is there a specific reason you don't want it between the rails under the body? PB's set-ups have provisions for exhaust routing so I'm curious why one wouldn't take advantage of the feature.
Thankyou for the link. The trans x member is right in line with the exhaust and the PB rear extreme 3 leaves barely any room for pipes...I also have the gas tank back there.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:19 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Thankyou for the link. The trans x member is right in line with the exhaust and the PB rear extreme 3 leaves barely any room for pipes...I also have the gas tank back there.
Gotcha. The DM set-up under my '64 is just the front x-member + front & rear arms. I built my own trans x-member & rear frame set-up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG