The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
89AKurt

Driving light mounts

Thinking of adding additional driving lights (taking off the gold-plated money pit MINI before ditching it LOL). Where do I look for: 1. mounts 2. switch and/or relay. It worked to have connected with high beam switch before.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
geunther

Re: Driving light mounts

Mine has Unity driving lights (along with a Unity spot light). I believe there were one of the dealer installed options at the time. The mounts come from underneath the truck and are bolted to existing frame homes. They are not attached to the bumper (which I like). They would be easy to replicate.

I don't necessary like the placement, but the fact that no holes were drilled makes me happy.
Attached Images

geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
89AKurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
Mine has UnityFACTORY driving lights (along with a FACTORY Unity spot light). I believe there were one of the STEALdealer installed options at the time. The mounts come from underneath the truck and are bolted to existing frame homes. They are not attached to the bumper (which I like). They would be easy to replicate.

I don't necessary like the placement, but the fact that no holes were drilled makes me happy.
THANKS FOR QUICK RESPONSE.

I can see making new ones that wrap around. But now they can be mounted to long straight application on TOP of the bumper, no cutting - thinking about various gap tolerance depending on visual). Switch?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
89AKurt

BTW: Comps on your '72 (didn't catch before clicking post, the proverbial pole shift AFTER pushing "send"). Lots of trim. >:^°

*edit* Probably against rules, I see something on top of the hood. I know about the second row just below door handle level. In architectural talk, the bottom one might be called sole plate, the second Chair Level or something. Just wanted to know the inside term for those. Drip edge (mine has some rust), wind wing, all I need is matt black spray paint to 70s it.

Last edited by 89AKurt; 04-28-2016 at 07:44 PM.
89AKurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
jeffahart

I went ahead and made Swiss Cheese out of my bumper. It will be tough to make a bracket that snakes between the bumper and grill trim to mount on top of bumper. The flat iron has to be thick enough so the lights don't vibrate, and it's a tight squeeze. You can make a bracket coming up from the bottom easy enough though. Good light harness' are available but you can probably make one cheaper. I just hooked up some old PIAA 520s but I still had the harness. Here's a pic, even though you're not into the Swiss Cheese method!

PIAA 520s are wired into bright lights, and also uses a switch.
Name:  20160428_162204.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  44.9 KB
Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 AM   #6
89AKurt

Thanks jeffahart!

I just about got it done!
Call this Cheapskate Driveway work, I used up aluminum C-channel that I made a mailbox post out of. I avoided drilling any holes!

First step, to make the part that used the bumper bolt, simply used a new nut to attach.

Peeking between the bumper and aluminum grill.

The pieces of the mounts were made from the same aluminum. Tolerances were about 1/16". Used a jigsaw for the big cuts, then a handsaw. Drill press came in handy. Tapped threads in the first mount, allen screws were set with Loctite. Kinda hard to finish the wedges on the disk sander. Yes, I'm more of a woodworker than a mechanic.

Don't know if this happens to others, but it's always the second part that becomes a PITA to finish (sorry for the crappy night shot).