The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2021, 09:36 PM   #1
72longstepper

Inner/outer rocker fitment---help!!!

Let me start by saying that NO I did not do this right. No proper planning I just all of a sudden made this a cab off restoration. Had never welded before etc.
Here is my problem. Drivers side is mostly done with a bit of (hopefully) adjusting I think the door will fit. Passenger side has turned out to be a nightmare. Both corners had been done some time ago when the rage was to put foam everywhere. The corners were never re-tacked to the floor pan and they packed foam in the seam etc. That has all been cleaned out. I have the inner rocker and the front pier on and the back pier tacked because my gap is way off. I know that re-pops are not exact fits and I had to cut both the inner and outer rocker on the DS to make them fit. I have measured everything and to make the outer rocker works I will have to just about rebuild it. I am talking about at least 1/2" to 1" to short. I will take pictures tomorrow as I am to tired to take them now. I am into my 3rd year with this project, will be 73 next month and starting to get weary. LOL
Also a bit confusing is when I put new cab bushings on (they are not cinched down yet) the back bolts I took off were bent quite a bit about 2/3 of the way done from the top. No frame work at all on the 1972 GMC C15 LWB Fender Side.
Attached Images

Last edited by 72longstepper; 07-26-2021 at 09:26 PM. Reason: add photos
72longstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:38 PM   #2
raggedjim

Re: Inner/outer rocker fitment---help!!!

I hate you're having trouble. Pictures will help us help you more than anything.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:34 PM   #3
72longstepper

Posted pic and best way to explain further is that the total gap is about 3/4 to 7/8" end to end. I can pull in the back about an eighth. Also a question on the "elevation" of the inner and outer rocker. DS is pretty much even straight across. PS (the one I am having trouble with) the outer rocker is about 1/8" lower. The gap is pretty much uniform where the molding would go but it is uneven and not like DS. If that makes sense.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:57 AM   #4
raggedjim

Ouch, I've never seen one off that much. I think the first thing I would do at this point is hang the door in the opening without the rocker panel on there. If that gap also exists with the door then you have a cab problem. If the door fits well with the cab then you have a problem with the rocker panel.

I took off / put on my doors about 5 times on each side. It's a pain but it helps keep check that every thing is in line.

If the cab is out of wack you'll have to make some cuts and use ratchet straps to pull in all in alignment.

Good luck, Rg

'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
Old 07-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #5
raggedjim

After looking at your other threads I THINK you have a problem with the cab, more than likely the front a-pillar is out of position. Do you have any pictures of the door alignment to the windshield pillar and the top of the cab?

'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
Old 07-29-2021, 03:17 PM   #6
72longstepper

Will put door back on and take some pics, but next two days are going to be scorchers so it will probably be sometime this weekend. TY for your replies.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #7
raggedjim

I know how frustrating some of this can be. Take your time, it's HOT!

'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
Old 08-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
SkidmoreGarage

I had all sorts of trouble with my passenger side outer rocker. When it comes to how the new metal fits, anything is possible. You can check out my build thread for examples of how I had to slice mine up.

I wanted to second that you should use the parts that you have at your disposal to determine what part is out. You have the door, use that to check the opening and gaps. You have the other side, use that to determine if the front cab support, rear cab corner, and other points in the frame are out of alignment. If the inner rocker has been replaced, it is possible that these points are spread wider. You can also use the old metal and the other side to determine if the new rocker has the correct dimensions. In my case, you can see in my thread, that mine was way out. I had to slice, hammer, bend, patch, and re-weld almost every part.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
72longstepper

TY for your reply-----I have decided that health wise I am not able to finish this. Will be 73 in a few weeks and have listed my "project" on this site.
Reality is a hard thing to face sometimes. Funny thing is that right up until I started this I was in, what I thought, pretty good shape. Two heart operations, vertigo and my buddy Arthur Itus have done me in LOL.