The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #26
48richard

Re: Question for the guys with OEM 71-72 sport mirrors

Agree with Lee H. That is the best way to adjust your mirrors. You don't need to see your quarter panel, and that area is covered by your inside mirror anyway. It takes a bit of getting used to, but as Lee says, having the mirrors adjusted out virtually eliminates blind spots, if you use your inside mirror too.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #27
GoaterAz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
OK, at the risk of being booed off, I’ll offer this. If you can see your quarter panels, or close to it while seated your blind spots are not covered. To adjust the mirrors to get the blind spots covered, sit in driver’s seat and lean your head to the left until it just touches window, adjust mirror until you can just see the rear edge of the rear quarter. Then lean inboard about the same amount, should be about centered in the car, and adjust the passenger’s side mirror. When viewing all three mirrors you want the smallest amount of overlap possible. This method will all but eliminate the blind spots.
I'm right there with you, Lee. That's exactly what I learned online and it felt really goofy at first but it's the only way to eliminate blind spots. You learn to trust it with time.

I was disappointed when I first started reading this thread because those were the mirrors that I planned on installing, but I thought people were complaining that they couldn't open them up far enough, but after learning the opposite, these might be pefect for me! lol.

I'd really like to hear from someone that has these, adjust them as described above and see how you like them. Be warned, it feels like your shoes are on the wrong feet at first, lol.

Me neither.
GoaterAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #28
jlaird

Just to confirm, are we talking about only the passenger side as having the visibility issue?
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #29
GSFMECH
On the road

I have several sets of these over the years and never had a problem, right now I have a set of NOS mirrors on my truck and I can adjust the pass side to see the bedside.However I did help a buddy of mine put on a set of repops on his truck and installed them back in the factory holes and it would not adjust in far enough, same problem as described....I blamed it on the repops.

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #30
scrapmetalart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoaterAz View Post
I'm right there with you, Lee. That's exactly what I learned online and it felt really goofy at first but it's the only way to eliminate blind spots. You learn to trust it with time.

I was disappointed when I first started reading this thread because those were the mirrors that I planned on installing, but I thought people were complaining that they couldn't open them up far enough, but after learning the opposite, these might be pefect for me! lol.

I'd really like to hear from someone that has these, adjust them as described above and see how you like them. Be warned, it feels like your shoes are on the wrong feet at first, lol.
im with you guys. don't need to see the side of your truck, you know where that is. its the blind spot that's the problem. I don't have a passenger mirror but my drivers mirror is off a vega. similar in looks I can see fine out of it
Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #31
serge

Hello to all,
Recentlly installed sport mirrors. They work fine.
Used 67/72 Factory Assembly Instruction Manual. Found page with dimension's for locating sport mirror's. Dimension's are off of "reference lines" 20 and 35. Used another section of manual to understand location of "reference lines".
Also passenger side is located slighty further to the back then driver side.
Hope this helps.
Serge
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #32
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
Just to confirm, are we talking about only the passenger side as having the visibility issue?
I can only speak for the passenger side. I have new doors that didn't have the holes drilled in them. I drilled the passenger side per the measurements in the manual, installed the mirror and jumped in the truck to admire my handy work only to be horrified when I couldn't see anything even close to me. I had my daughter stand behind and to the side of the truck, I couldn't see her until she was at least 10 feet out from the rear fender. I didn't want to drill the driver side after that.

I don't want to have to lean half way across the truck to see out of the mirror. I've been told the OEM mirrors aren't any better.

I would even consider installing a round mirror on the sport mirror base if it allows me to see without leaning across the truck.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #33
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
Hello to all,
Used 67/72 Factory Assembly Instruction Manual. Found page with dimension's for locating sport mirror's. Dimension's are off of "reference lines" 20 and 35. Used another section of manual to understand location of "reference lines".
Hope this helps.
Serge
I'm glad yours worked Serge. We're they OEM or aftermarket? Brand? Pics?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #34
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
Hello to all,
Hope this helps.
Serge
I don't see how you made heads or tails of the reference lines. Exactly what did you reference yours from?
Sorry if this is off subject but I am planning on drilling mine tonight.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #35
serge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
I'm glad yours worked Serge. We're they OEM or aftermarket? Brand? Pics?
Steve,
Passenger side is aftermarket from GMC Paul. Driver side is OEM.
Manual would simplify things by giving dimensions from door edge in lieu of reference lines.
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #36
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I don't see how you made heads or tails of the reference lines. Exactly what did you reference yours from?
Sorry if this is off subject but I am planning on drilling mine tonight.
DON'T DO IT !!! Lay out green frog tape or painters tape in the area where the mirror will go. Mark your reference lines on the tape and mark where the mounting holes will be. Now, have someone hole the mirror in that position and get in the truck and try to see out of it. You're welcome! I just saved you from drilling three holes in your truck. I wish I had been told the same thing before I drilled mine.
You can do a search and find posts describing where the mirror is mounted from the factory. In these posts you will find pics and measurements.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #37
joeydurango

Before mounting our repop mirrors in the factory location (which is where we ended up drilling the holes anyway), my wife and I took turns holding the mirrors in various locations and seeing what we could see. The driver's side is perfectly fine. Not so much on the passenger side, but there's nowhere you can mount it that makes it work better than the factory location. Someone - can't remember who - advertises a 71/72 passenger sport mirror with an actual convex lens. May try to find this again and replace the passenger side, because that would work pretty well.
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #38
Lee H

I guess I was too subtle, hope this exchange does not offend anyone. GM designed these mirrors to view into the blind spot. The blind spot is in the adjacent lane, just to the side and slightly lagging the vehicle. If you can see the rear quarter the blind spot is not covered.

The “lean” is only for adjustment to place the mirror view in the blind spot. Once adjusted, the view from the mirror is in the blind spot when looking from the drivers seat sitting straight, not leaning.

So, if you want to see the quarter panel VS the blind spot, the sport mirror is not the right mirror. Peace, Lee

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #39
72K20SUBN

Smile Re: Question for the guys with OEM 71-72 sport mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post

I've put some thought into this over the years, and this is what I'd come up with if I had the resources to reproduce.

jlaird/josh@replicate.... if you are thinking about reproducing. I have some suggestiions:

1) Design based off the appearance of the 1972 factory sport mirrors. Keep the mounting base the exact same for a drop in replacement. You'll get way more sales. I'd buy 3 pairs instantly to replace my factory/repro sets.
2) Lengthen the mirror arm another 2 inches or so.
3) By extending the arm length, it will effectively raise the mirror, so you may need to vertically reduce the angle to reposition mirror to its correct spot.
4) By extending the arm, it will also position the mirror more reward relative to the vehicle. Again, an angle adjustment horizontally would be required.
5) Increase the size of the viewable mirror maybe by 3/4 inch height, and 1 inch width. This will help us higher 4x4 guys have more viewing area, without taking away from factory look. I'm sure 2wd guys may not mind either (maybe even 2 mirror size options).
6) Where the "mirror" mounts to "arm", add another 1/4 - 3/8" distance of separation , so that the mirror has more adjustabililty before the mirror edge makes contact with the arm (common problem on passenger side mirror)
7) Another thing I would like to see is a small blind spot morror build specifically for these sport mirrors. Small, square, all polished or chrome, and low profile. Something that looks stealth and not out of place. I like blind spot mirrors to see my rear tires against a curb when parking.

Get some of these out quick.... I need some! =)
Thanks much
- '71 Custom20 Deluxe 4x4
- '63 Pontiac Bonneville 2Dr HT

Last edited by 72K20SUBN; 08-10-2014 at 04:16 PM.
72K20SUBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #40
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72K20SUBN View Post
I've put some thought into this over the years, and this is what I'd come up with if I had the resources to reproduce.

jlaird/josh@replicate.... if you are thinking about reproducing. I have some suggestiions:

1) Design based off the appearance of the 1972 factory sport mirrors. Keep the mounting base the exact same for a drop in replacement. You'll get way more sales. I'd buy 3 pairs instantly to replace my factory/repro sets.
2) Lengthen the mirror arm another 2 inches or so.
3) By extending the arm length, it will effectively raise the mirror, so you may need to vertically reduce the angle to reposition mirror to its correct spot.
4) By extending the arm, it will also position the mirror more reward relative to the vehicle. Again, an angle adjustment horizontally would be required.
5) Increase the size of the viewable mirror maybe by 3/4 inch height, and 1 inch width. This will help us higher 4x4 guys have more viewing area, without taking away from factory look. I'm sure 2wd guys may not mind either (maybe even 2 mirror size options).
6) Where the "mirror" mounts to "arm", add another 1/4 - 3/8" distance of separation , so that the mirror has more adjustabililty before the mirror edge makes contact with the arm (common problem on passenger side mirror)
7) Another thing I would like to see is a small blind spot morror build specifically for these sport mirrors. Small, square, all polished or chrome, and low profile. Something that looks stealth and not out of place. I like blind spot mirrors to see my rear tires against a curb when parking.

Get some of these out quick.... I need some! =)
Thanks much

Nailed it!!! Especially #6.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #41
29od1

I put on aftermarket sport mirrors and had to do this to adjust the passenger side in enough to see. Not hard to do at all.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=181353
29od1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:09 PM   #42
54blackhornet

Might help
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #43
tdangle

I guess I got lucky. I bought a set of repop mirrors with the passenger side a convex mirror. I don't have an issue seeing down the side of my truck and the other lane. I'll admit not as good as the factory mirrors it came with but with the excellent visibility thru the back window I feel secure driving.

Now if I had a camper on it or towing a large trailer, better mirrors would be a must.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #44
Jim Boy

Smile Re: Question for the guys with OEM 71-72 sport mirrors

I had a set of the west coast jr on my 68 and nearly got creamed when I pulled out of a spot and a car came out of the blind spot created by those mirrors. They were too big for a pickup, my opinion. I put the sport mirrors on and have no trouble with either side. Those of you that are having the viewing problem, I read maybe on here, that a fellow took and used a rotary tool and carefully ground a little bit off of the mirror arm to allow the mirror head to turn in further. I don't think it would take too much to make it work. If you have the mirror already it would be worth a try. My $0.02 worth. Have a good one and good luck.
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #45
Blazer690

Was not happy with my re-pop mirrors! I taper ground the bace, spaced the mount and die ground the retainer. It works.
Attached Images

Blazer690 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #46
54blackhornet

I am looking for a passenger side spot if anyone wants to sell one.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #47
sick472

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Might help
Thanks for posting that red-marked page from our truck bible. Good Stuff!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #48
Steve Cole

Reviving an old thread I started….. with a new question- has anyone found a usable mirror that has the same mounting hole pattern as the 71-72 sport mirrors? I don’t want to drill new holes but I do want a new mirror. Someone mentioned they bought sport mirrors that had a convex mirror on the passenger side, this would be a good solution as well. Who sells these? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #49
Reddeye

I know LMC has convex ones: https://www.lmctruck.com/1967-72-che...n-door-mirrors, part # 38-5851, which I believe are just United Pacific C707202.
Reddeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:40 PM   #50
purple gas

I've got aftermarket mirrors. Not repops, they're 4" round actually. Same problem with the passenger side, can't turn it in enough to be of any use at all. I even played with it's position before installing it and it just wouldn't give me the field of view I needed.
I installed it and spent a couple bucks on a stick-on 3" plastic convex mirror and it actually works pretty good.
At least now I can see in the next lane to change lanes or back through my very narrow gate if I need to.