The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: How do you feel about electrifying classic trucks?
If it keeps them on the road - I'm for it! 14 100.00%
No thanks, nothing like the original! 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

1951 Chevrolet Pickup Truck Electric Conversion

not mine but interesting none the less, let me know what you all think, lets see if this falls into that love it or hate it category

I'll try to add a poll to this post for fun

1951 Chevrolet Pickup Truck Electric Conversion, 5 Years and 25,000 miles later | EV Show
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
NorCalGal

Re: 1951 Chevrolet Pickup Truck Electric Conversion

I think it’s cool! They did a good job keeping it original looking.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #3
daveshilling

That thing is awesome! No leaks, no hassle.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
Tempest67

is this the future of "Hot Rodding" ?.... yikes, I am intimidated by EFI,

not for me, but I think they did a good job of keeping the classic look, which we all love.
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #5
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
is this the future of "Hot Rodding" ?.... yikes, I am intimidated by EFI,
having converted two go carts for the kids and a motorcycle I can tell you it is only four components as opposed to dozens in ICE cars (Internal Combustion Engine)

1. there's the motor, yes actually properly called the motor ha ha and it is the size of a water melon yet it can power an average car no problem

2. there's something called the controller this would be like a carburetor, it's usually the size of a toaster (white box in the pic below)

3. there's the batteries obviously, this is where people loose their minds talking about 400 mile range for when they want to drive across the country yet studies have shown the average American drives less than 40 miles per day, ha ha

4. there's the charger for the batteries, this is another point of contention, how long it takes to charge, when we had our electric Nissan leaf we started out charging every single night, freaked out that we are going to get stranded somewhere if we didn't, in the second year we charged every other night, and in the third maybe 3 times a week overnight, and that car only had an 80 mile range

now everything else is the same, you keep your transmission, the brakes are still brakes sure they offer regen but you don't need them really, there's power steering can be mechanical or electric, ac, heater, windshield wipers, etc

you can keep it as simple as you want or geek out as much as you want, but pound for pound electric cars are way simpler than internal combustion engine powered ones, no oil leaks, no fuel tank, no exhaust leaks, no coolant leaks, no radiator, no clutch, no oil pump, no water pump, no mufflers, no catalytic converters, blah blah blah

Last edited by Gregski; 09-03-2021 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #6
crossfire84

That was awesome! This gives me bad ideas.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #7
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
That was awesome! This gives me bad ideas.
lemme hold your beer
Old 09-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

It's cool I'll give him that..but the range wouldnt get me as far as I'd want to go in a single trip....dont know about the cost either...they have prices from 7-17+ k..I'm thinking it would be at the upper price range..
I wont say never...but I will say not now...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
nvrdone

my son just told me he wants to convert his '79 Mustang to an EV. Kit is 12K which is about what a good 351 would cost. So that looks like the next project. I ask him why and he said just to irritate those Tesla drivers when he plugs in at a charging station. Imagine the reaction with a EV powered AD or TF. would be fun.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #10
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
my son just told me he wants to convert his '79 Mustang to an EV. Kit is 12K which is about what a good 351 would cost. So that looks like the next project. I ask him why and he said just to irritate those Tesla drivers when he plugs in at a charging station. Imagine the reaction with a EV powered AD or TF. would be fun.
good for him, he can probably source the parts for half that if he just buys a wrecked electric car or two
Old 09-06-2021, 05:53 PM   #11
greg_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
having converted two go carts for the kids and a motorcycle I can tell you it is only four components as opposed to dozens in ICE cars (Internal Combustion Engine)

1. there's the motor, yes actually properly called the motor ha ha and it is the size of a water melon yet it can power an average car no problem

2. there's something called the controller this would be like a carburetor, it's usually the size of a toaster (white box in the pic below)

3. there's the batteries obviously, this is where people loose their minds talking about 400 mile range for when they want to drive across the country yet studies have shown the average American drives less than 40 miles per day, ha ha

4. there's the charger for the batteries, this is another point of contention, how long it takes to charge, when we had our electric Nissan leaf we started out charging every single night, freaked out that we are going to get stranded somewhere if we didn't, in the second year we charged every other night, and in the third maybe 3 times a week overnight, and that car only had an 80 mile range

now everything else is the same, you keep your transmission, the brakes are still brakes sure they offer regen but you don't need them really, there's power steering can be mechanical or electric, ac, heater, windshield wipers, etc

you can keep it as simple as you want or geek out as much as you want, but pound for pound electric cars are way simpler than internal combustion engine powered ones, no oil leaks, no fuel tank, no exhaust leaks, no coolant leaks, no radiator, no clutch, no oil pump, no water pump, no mufflers, no catalytic converters, blah blah blah

I was on board until I found out I would have to give up the personality of the vacuum windshield wipers...Just kidding. That is too cool
greg_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:30 AM   #12
Gregski
Post Whore

and here's how not to build an electric truck, though it shows how simple they can be

DIY Electric Powerful Truck - Used (Dual 2) Motor, See How To Make
Attached Images