The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2021, 02:20 PM   #1
kglowacky

2 inch drop spindle or maybe not??

Been out enjoying my truck with great pride. Had more then one comment on the ride height. They all say why didn't you drop it a couple inches. I respond by saying I did using 2 " drop spindles from CCP and dropped it 4 inches in back changing the front brackets and installing the rear drop shackles. here is a picture of my truck does it look like it has been lowered?

I am wondering if my springs on front and back are correct for my truck. I bought this truck in pieces and the seller told me the front suspension was out of a 8o something suburban and he said nothing about the rear end and springs. When installing the front springs I remember my mechanic and I had the toughest time getting them to compress to the point where he said are you sure these are the correct springs. Let me say truck rides really nice just seems to most it is not lowered.

The truck is level front to back or very close to it.
Attached Images

kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:37 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: 2 inch drop spindle or maybe not??

It is likely most people who own these trucks now either lower them 4/6, or stuff them with bigger tires.

My rcsb stepside looks fine with 30x9.5x15 at stock height. Wider tires will give the truck a whole different stance.

My 18 Silverado had a 2.5/4 inch drop, and people who owned stock height ones. Thought my was stock too, but preferred its height. Like I had a street package or something, and they did not.

Guess it is all about the stance, and people's views on it.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #3
LT7A

That's a neat looking truck, but I agree, it sits a lot like my stock one does. Do you have heavy duty rear springs on your SPID (I don't know if they were offered on short beds)? The front looks like it may have come down about an inch or so, but it really does look like it sits mostly stock.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
kglowacky

after doing some research I did not cut my coils in the front and reverse my rear end from the bottom of the spring to the top of the spring. So what I got is only half the effect most people get on a drop. Not sure if I will do anything as I like the way it drives and the look is what I wanted in a old farm truck look.

Going to measure my springs tomorrow to see if they are a stock or heavy duty. My guess at this point they are off a 80s suburban front and back (heavy duty)and that's is another reason it still sits that high.

Thanks for the comment on a good looking truck. It has a ls1 and 460e Set up. And it runs really good.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
TrailerTrash

How many leafs are in the pack?

It looks really high. About as high as my 77 was when it was stock. I got the stock springs in no problem at all.

'77 C10 350/350 2/4 drop and a mild street engine
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
72c20customcamper

Could the burban springs have been from a 3/4 ton ? Never had a problem reinstalling stock springs .

Nice truck by the way
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
Dead Parrot

What size tires? A smaller tire can create an illusion of height since there is more gap between the top of the tire and the matching spot on the fender.

From the pic, looks to be a stock truck with the normal bed high stance.

On level ground, which way does water flow in the bed? Water doesn't care about looks, it just goes toward the low end. It will tell you real fast if the bed is level or sloped one way or the other.

For a work truck, I like one that sits stock. Fields can go from flat to rough in just a few feet. Plus the dirt roads around here can get deep holes and ditches after a heavy rain, which have been frequent lately.

If you like how it rides, don't worry about what others think. You might spend a lot of money making other people happy and wind up with one that doesn't ride well.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #8
kglowacky

tires are 235/75/15
5 leafs in spring (currently)
. and I removed one leaf before install as I thought it looked a helper spring.
I am starting to believe I got the heavy duty springs in the front or the incorrect ones alll together. I guess I will need to decide if I cut mine get new ones or leave it the same.

Last edited by kglowacky; 07-25-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #9
dagnabbitt

Nothing against cutting springs, many people do it, but brand new drop springs are pretty inexpensive and you will be happy with the result. I assume if you took the time and expense to change spindles that springs will be easy for you.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #10
Nick_R_23

The truck looks great! But judging by the picture, the rear looks like it sits too high to be at a 4” drop - a 2/4 drop should sit level. The front looks correct, and appears to be a 2” drop, but the wheel gap in the rear tells me something isn’t right back there.

Edit: Since you are running skinnies all the way around, some of the optical effect of inset wheels may mess with how the drop is perceived. You can run 1” wheel spacers all the way around to bring out the track width, which may help with the appearance.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #11
kglowacky

I am going to put the truck on level ground and take another picture. I am pretty sure it is close to level. This current picture maybe a a little deceiving as my driveway does slant. The 1 inch spacer idea I like.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #12
Wikid61
Post Whore

After finding flat level ground, measure & record the distance from the fender lip to the ground all 4 corners. Take pix of the measurement presently of the lower control arm to the ground. It may have heavy half or bigger coils. You may trim 1 full wrap for a 2 inch drop. That will firm up but not harshen the ride. Of course that then would require the rear coming down same amount for a near level ride. Most use the flip kit, but consider the present leaf pack (pix would help again) thickness. The thicker the leaf pack the more drop when putting the rear axle on top of them.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #13
kglowacky

Here is my measurements

Fender opening to ground RF LF LR 30 inches
RR 31 inches

Rear tip of frame where bumper brackets bolt
RR 20.50
LR 20.0

Front control arms Ball joint end RF LR 5.5 inches
Bushing end middle of bolt to floor 9.0 inches

So it looks like my frame is off .5 inches on the rr side and my bed is off .5 inches. I can shim the bed so both would be 31 inches no problem. Not sure this is that important for a truck 40 plus years old. It lined up in specs at the alignment shop.
This also assumes the ground is level. Also the one picture of the side of the truck looks not level it was that I took the picture crooked. The wheel openings are level.
Is the factory specs show a 1 inch rack from front to back?

Attached are three pictures of the truck on level ground. You will see where the bed meets the cab it is off by about .5 inch.
Take a look at the rear springs anyway of telling if they are incorrect.

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by kglowacky; 07-25-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:41 PM   #14
Wikid61
Post Whore

For every inch of drop in the front, that is how much closer to the ground the lower control arm will to to the pavement. You may go another 2" w/the 15" wheels.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:48 PM   #15
kglowacky

I built this truck to drive and really just have fun. I really don't want to spend more time working on it then driving it. I just asked because people walking by don't think it is a 2 inch drop. And since it is my first truck I really don't know what the heck it is suppose to look like, It is no show truck just a beater that I have a lot of money in.
I don't want to be dragging the ground every time I hit a bump.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #16
Nick_R_23

That new picture looks more level. Keep in mind that you have several factors that might skew the look of a drop -

1. 2/4 is fairly mild and thus more subtle in appearance.
2. The wheels are still outside of the wheel wells. Most “visible” drops will start to tuck them inside
3. Skinny wheels and tires. Most drops will utilize more of the real estate with wider wheels and tires. 255/60 may improve the looks, will appear slightly more aggressive.
4. Narrow track width. Drop spindles retain your stock track, drop springs push the wheels out some (around 1 inch), due to the natural travel arc in the suspension. It’s normal to use a 1 inch spacer in the rear with a spring drop to make the rear match, however, again, it may help out with your visuals with the additional width at all four corners.

Ultimately, if you’re happy with it, there’s nothing wrong with a mild drop. It just sounds like you’re running into people more familiar with the visuals of a 4/6 drop, which is most common.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:48 PM   #17
Wikid61
Post Whore

That is why a 2.5/3" spindle w/a 2" coil is the max for regular folk driving these beats lowered. You really need 4 inches minimum from the ground to your lowest point. Go look right now hard at where your stuff sits. Take away 2". Your spindle is likely 2.5. Bell Tech's are 3". Do you have a sway bar?
Old 07-25-2021, 09:24 PM   #18
kglowacky

Yes I have a sway bar.
I bought the CCP drop spindles not sure if they were 2 or 2.5, but either way I see what you are saying. I am at 9 inches on the bottom and 4 inch is max so I still have 5 inch left ( to the 4inch min) as I assume the ball joint distance will remain constant at 5.5. So my truck is lowered 2-2.5 at this point. Going to drive it at this height and enjoy it. I will move back to my immediate problem of steering wheel slop, 2 rebuilt boxes and still cant keep it on the road. Got a call into redhead on details of their box. Thanks everyone you were a great help.

Last edited by kglowacky; 07-25-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:58 PM   #19
Warrens69GMC

Probably thinking it should look like this
Attached Images

Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:07 PM   #20
kglowacky

yes that is what I expected but pretty sure now I was wrong.

PS I want to buy some premium.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:19 PM   #21
Wikid61
Post Whore

Trim one wrap on your present coils springs & you will be fine. Firm not harsh & handling will be up a notch.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:22 AM   #22
Wikid61
Post Whore

This is what you desire? Yes, those mags are not 15's. But this is likely a 4.5 inch total drop in the front.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2021, 06:38 AM   #23
4u2nv

Get rid of the helper spring , not needed and you will get some drop there.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #24
Loco83

My 83 with 2 cut coils and flip kit in the back.
Attached Images

Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #25
kglowacky

loco83 how does it ride? do you bottom out much in the front and back. I like the look.
Will it align with this much drop.