The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2021, 07:02 PM   #1
Breadstick

72 C20 painless harness help

I've been installing my painless harness for a bit in stages (I know it's not ideal but it's how it has to go). I got all the wiring to run the engine previously and I planned to wire the lights today. I moved it from my garage to my wife's (where the tools and concrete floor are) and it started and drove just fine. I got all the front lights working and planned to call it a day and move it back to my garage, but it won't turn over at all. When i turn the key to on, nothing happens. When I turn the key to start, the brake and temp dash lights come on like they should when the key is to "on" but nothing happens. No clicking or anything. I didn't touch any wiring except the front lights and they work, except the left turn signal but that might be fried. I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. Any ideas?
Breadstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #2
lousyflyer

Re: 72 C20 painless harness help

First make sure the connector on the ignition switch is locked on properly.

One of the connections on your neutral lockout switch located on the steering column near the firewall may be loose or disconnected. It's easy to pull them off accidentally while fiddling around under the dash.

Next check the fuse block on the engine compartment side. Make sure the screw in the middle of the connector block is snugged down.

Last but not least the purple wire connected to the starter solenoid may be loose.

My money is on the neutral safety switch. If it's the original switch that came with the truck and the connections are secure, you may have to wiggle the gearshift lever to get it to work.
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
Breadstick

Re: 72 C20 painless harness help

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousyflyer View Post
First make sure the connector on the ignition switch is locked on properly.

One of the connections on your neutral lockout switch located on the steering column near the firewall may be loose or disconnected. It's easy to pull them off accidentally while fiddling around under the dash.

Next check the fuse block on the engine compartment side. Make sure the screw in the middle of the connector block is snugged down.

Last but not least the purple wire connected to the starter solenoid may be loose.

My money is on the neutral safety switch. If it's the original switch that came with the truck and the connections are secure, you may have to wiggle the gearshift lever to get it to work.
I owe you a bottle of something tasty. I started looking at things last night and I found that when I was routing the wiring for the headlights I must have pulled on the bundle a little and rocked the fuse block a little loose. I was afraid of cracking the plastic when I put it together so I guess I didn't tighten it all the way. Thanks a heap for the advice.
Breadstick is offline   Reply With Quote