The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
carrzy4

Suspension Upgrades for Towing

Hey Guys,

My daily driver is a 2012 Yukon XL 1500 and I was looking for some advice on upgrading my suspension for towing.

Ive looked into the coil rite air bags that fit inside the coil spring and those just don't look very reliable. Ive also looked at the airbag - coil spring conversion kit from Hellwig but ive heard that the brackets may bend under heavy load. What about adding a coil over shock as a helper with my coil springs?

With previous air suspension systems I felt like I was just waiting for the day that my bags leaked and didn't hold pressure. Was especially concerning when I was out in the bush with the trailer attached so the idea of adding a helper coilover shock seems appealing.

What are some of your experiences and recommendations?

I would never exceed GM's tow ratings for my truck but I do long trips and would like for the truck to handle well.

Im also starting to look at engine upgrades as well but I will start with the bolt-ons and go from there.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Suspension Upgrades for Towing

I am surprised you didn't buy it with the factory air suspension. I just sold an 07 Denali XL with the GM towing package, and it worked flawlessly. Just load it up with people, or a trailer and it adjusted on the fly.

If it were me, I would try to replicate the GM system. I have used the in coil style bags before, and they worked great. My only complaint was the were a little to firm when aired out, but they never failed.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
jephs422

Agreed, the factory tow set up is pretty nice.

The biggest issue (if it's an issue at all) I think you'll run in to with not going the airbag route is how it's going to ride when you're not towing. Unfortunately there is no magic spring and nothing is free. Stiffen it up to tow and it's like riding around in a 1 ton truck with nothing in the bed.

I like overload bags myself and the ones that go in the coilspring seem to work decent. Plus, if they do spring a leak, it's really no harm no foul until you get it fixed.

Scott's Hotrods
Oxnard CA 93030
jephs422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
bk04z66

I have an 04 avalanche that has pretty much the same rear suspension as the tahoe. I tow 7 to 8klbs pretty regular. It is lowered with a belltech kit and I use firestone in the coil bags in the rear. I have had no problems for 8 years.
bk04z66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
carrzy4

Thanks for the quick replies.

The air shocks that are standard on the denali's and escalades are pretty decent, I have experience with those. Just scared of having issues on the road.

That might be the way to go since there is a dealership everywhere, or I could always keep a set of spare gas shocks in the trailer, just in case.

What are my options if I were to put a 3 or 3.5" lift on the truck...or should I stay away from lifting this beast altogether?

This truck will be used primarily for work, which is mostly highway driving and during the summer for towing the trailer, 5 hour trip once a month usually. The occasional off-road experience.