The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
PMS

Offset upper control arm shaft

Does anyone make or know where I can get a offset upper control arm shaft for a 72 1/2 ton GMC 2wd. We installed drop springs and spindles and need offset for correct alignment.

Thanks,
Parrish
PMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Offset upper control arm shaft

You might check a parts store that handles the Moog line. Carquest & some others. They make them for some applications but I am not sure about that one. I( can look it up Monday.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Security guy

Are you sure you need them? I've got 2.5" drop spindles with 2.5" drop springs. I just got mine lined up yesterday and they said it came out almost perfect. I've got the factory control arm shafts. If you don't need them, save your money for other stuff.
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Hammer57
Sending her "south"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security guy View Post
Are you sure you need them? I've got 2.5" drop spindles with 2.5" drop springs. I just got mine lined up yesterday and they said it came out almost perfect. I've got the factory control arm shafts. If you don't need them, save your money for other stuff.
Exactly. Since you used spndles, you're only correcting for a 2.5" drop, which isn't much and should be easily brought back to spec with the original parts.
Hammer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
PMS

It was aligned 2 years ago and the tires are starting to wear. When it was aligned they could only get it close. The shim pack is large with only 1 or 2 threads left on the studs. I got some 17" wheels and tires and don't want to install until I fix this issue.

Last edited by PMS; 03-07-2009 at 05:26 PM.
PMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
craig24671

that's odd to me, cause I put 2.5 inch dropped spindles and coils. When they aligned it he did'nt use any shims and came out perfect, drives straight and true. did you replace your a-arm bushings?
craig24671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Something does not add up there. Should not be that much of an issue. Take it to another shop and see what they say. Alignment is more are that science.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:54 AM   #8
Mondo

I put dropped spindles & 2 inch springs without out a problem but when I went with 3in springs the shop didn't want to shim it out that far.

So I forked out more $$$ and bought some upper A Arms from Brothers that are made for lowered trucks and are designed with more castor and camber.

Rides great now but would of been a lot cheaper if I'd done it all at the same time
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
rmcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
I put dropped spindles & 2 inch springs without out a problem but when I went with 3in springs the shop didn't want to shim it out that far.

So I forked out more $$$ and bought some upper A Arms from Brothers that are made for lowered trucks and are designed with more castor and camber.

Rides great now but would of been a lot cheaper if I'd done it all at the same time
Mondo...I was wondering if you went with the tubular upper arm only? Just curious if you also bought the lower arm too. I'm ready to update or replace my arms and found this thread. Trying to make an informed decision.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
rmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
dyrt

You can also check rock auto. As for needing or not needing them, these parts are sold as problem solver pieces for stock vehicles. Alignment problems with these and the subsequent style frames were enough of an issue to warrant the r and d to make them. Even if he had no issues before, the new stuff might just need a little more shimming which could put the nut close to the ends of the threads. If the shop is reputable, i would take the advice and get the shafts. I wish I did because it looks like I may need them by the stack of shims that was on my 69.
Posted via Mobile Device
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #11
airdale94

Dyrt is right. Moog makes them. I have a set for my truck. Problem Solver or Camber Corrector. Ask your alignment shop if they can read the SAI Steering Axis Inclination. It will tell you if you have something bent; spindle, controll arm, ball joint, etc.
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:18 PM   #12
68-97stepper

Im going to revive this thread by asking for help.
IM looking for the offset shafts for the upper A arms on a 72 c10.

I have called, texted several suppliers who advertise the offset shafts----but when you read the description of what it fits the description doesnt include a C10 (only full size cars) and when you ask---"-Does this fit a c10 pickup" its like you ask about the theory of relativity----no one has a clue.
I know moog used to make an offset shaft but havent been able to nail that part number down either.

Im hoping someone can tell me (so I can tell the parts supplier) what the part number is.

thanks if you can help.
68-97stepper is offline   Reply With Quote