The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
cansled

King pin thrust washer assembly

I have read all the posts on this form regarding kingpins, The one thing I can't figure out is the assembly and order of the brass thrust washers on my 1956 3100. In the original shop manual it states there should be a thin washer between the two thrust washers facing each other like a sandwich with a thin washer in the middle. However the speedway motor instructions state that the two thrust washer should be facing each other with no mention of the thin washer in between. The kit does come with washers to use as shims but it also comes with two smaller washers that would fit inside between the brass thrust washers. Anybody have the proper information on this. Thanks.
cansled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: King pin thrust washer assembly

maybe I am wrong here, but the thrust washer they speak of is actually a thrust bearing, correct? it has roller bearings inside it? terminology? thin shims under a thrust bearing usually get pounded out and lost in short order.
when I install kingpins I usually ensure the axle is not grooved or worn from the pounding of the last set up. file is required but ensure it stays true to the plane of the kingpin axis. in other words ensure the surfaces the thrust bearings and shims sit against are flat and 90 degrees to the kingpin axis. then on assembly I install the thrust bearing under the axle and take up the slack with shims above the axle, to eliminate any play, where there is a lot less pounding from going over bumps etc and generally holding the weight of the vehicle. some sets have an O ring to seal the grease in the thrust bearing and some don't. ensure when you put it together that you are able to grease it easily. when you grease the truck in the future you need to take the weight off the wheels when greasing to ensure the grease gets into the load bearing areas.

anybody else done kingpins lately? been awhile since my last set. was actually thinking of getting rid of the reamer and pilot set.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
1project2many

The original manual has a great picture clearly showing a thick spacer. Below that is a bronze thrust washer between two thin steel washers. The written description also states that shims are used between the top of the axle and the yoke to eliminate excess vertical play.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...55ctsm0303.htm

The picture shown with the Speedway kit appears to show (2) thick spacers, (4) bronze washers, (4) steel washers, (2) shims, and various other bits. If your king pin kit parts content matches Speedway's photos, it seems that you could match the original assembly order. Can you measure the thickness of the original parts vs the new parts stacked in the same order?
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1947-...Set,37029.html
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
cansled

Thanks for your reply. The pre-1955 first series trucks had thrust bearings the 55 and up second series have thrust washers consisting of 2 brass/copper washers instead of ball bearings.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
mr48chev

His methods are far from professional and he gives a bit of miss information on putting the plugs in the ends but he does answer your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B42_fk_G3hs

Don't laugh too hard at some of the things he does.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
cansled

Yeah I saw that video too. however what he's showing is not what the manual states. At 4:48 in the video is where he puts together the thrush washers as an example because he is actually using the thrust bearings. But you'll notice he left the one washer sitting by the dust cover and described it as being a shim. however you can see that the real shims are off to the side in a different size than the washer he left sitting on the bench. I think that washer should have been put in between the two copper thrust washers as the manual states. He does make it look easy though. Thx.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansled View Post
Thanks for your reply. The pre-1955 first series trucks had thrust bearings the 55 and up second series have thrust washers consisting of 2 brass/copper washers instead of ball bearings.
Are you talking to dsraven?

Quote:
maybe I am wrong here, but the thrust washer they speak of is actually a thrust bearing, correct?
Technically it is a thrust bearing...
Quote:
it has roller bearings inside it?
No. No roller bearing. Only the bronze/steel/bronze combination.

Bronze is not generally placed against bronze in a high pressure application. The friction created if there isn't enough lubrication can cause the bronze pieces to try and stick to each other. There is usually an iron, steel, or hardened steel face mated with a bronze thrust washer.

Last edited by 1project2many; 04-15-2020 at 07:09 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansled View Post
Yeah I saw that video too. however what he's showing is not what the manual states. At 4:48 in the video is where he puts together the thrush washers as an example because he is actually using the thrust bearings. But you'll notice he left the one washer sitting by the dust cover and described it as being a shim. however you can see that the real shims are off to the side in a different size than the washer he left sitting on the bench. I think that washer should have been put in between the two copper thrust washers as the manual states. He does make it look easy though. Thx.
You saw the part I wanted you to see I would have to give him a D for the whole presentation though.

It's one thing for a guy in his back yard to use a claw hammer and what ever he can scrounge for a punch but for a guy who is allegedly qualified to instruct people on how to work on their trucks to use a claw hammer and then misuse a tool that is intended to be in an air chisel and potentially mushrooming the end of it so it can't be used as designed is pretty sad when he is working in a shop that should have every correct tool known to man.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
Russell Ashley

When I was a kid my Dad chewed me out for using the side of his claw hammer to knock a rusty bolt out of a clamp. I thought of it when I watched the video. On this guy's behalf, It appears that he has had it all apart already and this was just to show the steps to take to get it apart. It came apart too easily.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote