The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
spmtamu11

WTB Vintage Air SureFit 941170

WTB Vintage Air SureFit 941170 Non Factory Air.

Didn't realize the lead time was 6-8 weeks and really want one so I can enjoy driving my truck in Texas this summer without having to wear a swimsuit...

Just hoping someone has one laying around or has a line to a company that does.

TIA!
spmtamu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:26 PM   #2
MeanGreen72C10

Re: WTB Vintage Air SureFit 941170

Im in the middle of installing mine.. I did not realize what it was going to take to get to all the bolts....
MeanGreen72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:21 AM   #3
Accelo

I don't have one f/s, but I can give you some tips to speed things up.

Installation requires a factory air style controller. Have the air conditioning controller in hand. The non-air controler has only one bulb to light the controller. The air-conditioning controllers have two. Get the extra 1895 bulb, it comes with the wiring for both bulbs, just no bulbs.

Plan on how to mount the compressor. Mine came with some compressor brackets that you can use to design your own. Most purchase a variation that it prefabbed. Get a mount if you don't already have one.

Set everything in place and then cut your hoses to length so you can get them crimped. (One one end is crimped from the factory) Depending on where you live this can be a pain. Vintage Air will crimp them if you send them in. Locally it was $90 to crimp three ends, a rip off.

Have calking or black spaghetti to seal the new plate to the firewall. Have the correct paint if you don't like powder-coated black.

Cut the hole in the core support if you have an original non-air core support. As far as I know the reproductions all have this hole pre-drilled. The location information is in the manual.

Cut the three holes in the dash in the correct spot. The instruction manual can be downloaded from there site, it will detail the locations. If you can't get it from the site I believe I have the pdf I can send you.

This pre-work will greatly speed up the install process. I was impressed with the kit. Went together nicely. Especially the front condenser. Plug and play and everything fit. I as in awe after all the china junk I am used to.

It looks like this Ebay seller has them in stock?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22388591784...xoC8bUQAvD_BwE

Also an ad in the dealers section of this forum.
Vintage air - huge sale!

Best of luck
Rick

Last edited by Accelo; 05-15-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
chevmn

You might have looked at these, but I was also going to purchase a Vintage Air system, but after a great deal of looking and talking to others ended up buying a "Old Air" system, and ordered direct from them, and it arrived about 3 days later. With this said, I have not installed, but I am told many parts are the same such as the compressor. Lines are crimped, and the person I talked with was knowledgeable and in the end gave me a better price than any of the big name vendors. Complete system for a big block a/c cab truck minus the dash controller just under $1300 including shipping. Time will tell, but what I see looks to be good quality, and price. Had a local guy quote that same system, and he wanted over $1600 plus tax and shipping. I like to help the local guys, but that is not even competitive in my mind. Just something to think about if you are still shopping. As I said, my mind was made up on Vintage, but change my mind after researching.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote