The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #276
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad71chev406sbc View Post
Nice build and what a great learning experience, right? I'll be staying tuned. And don't worry....one of those daughters may end up with a guy who's a complete gearhead!! .
That's not something I really want to think about just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad71chev406sbc View Post
If you go with the real spray in bedliner, it does not like to be modified. It'll peel up like a sheet off a matress. The only real way of doing a good job is stripping it all off and re-shooting. If you were going to do more bed work to it, I suggest doing it before having a nice, professional spray-in done. If you do the DIY kit stuff(roll on, rattle can), that's easily stripable and re-applied in certain areas. The real stuff is a much different case.
I've been looking it over lately and will probably patch the rust spot on the one that needs it, and pound out as much of the dents as I can. Then use some filler to smooth it out. It will look better than it is now. I think I'll be using Al's Liner.

If I was really concerned with having a great looking bed, I'd have to replace the whole floor and both wheel wells. But because I plan on using the truck to haul stuff later, that's not my goal. But it could be done later if that's what I wanted down the road.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 06-12-2010 at 07:32 AM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #277
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Spent some quality time in the garage today and continued work on the bed side. I got it completely stripped to bare metal.

Then started slapping on the body filler. No rust at all, the worst area is the front edge of the wheel well which had rolled up when the brace was removed. That's how I bought it.

The tail light area is looking pretty good. Just need to sand it with some finer grit.

Probably one more layer of filler on a couple spots and along the top rail to finish it off.

Also borrowed a tool from the body shop. I don't know what it's called but I know what's for. It could be called a panel alignment tool, or a BFH. I used it to manipulate the window frames a bit for a better fit in the door jam.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #278
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice progress! That bed side looks way different with all that paint removed. Nice work!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #279
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The week kind of got away from me, as time will do when you try to balance work, family, and hobbies. Had a minor emergency from the guy that let's me store my junk. He's having a large area of his lot leveled and gravel brought in, which meant me getting a phonecall this afternoon to come move it. The jimmy won't start so it needs towed around. The new tub is hanging from an A frame and I have no place to put it. I just picked up another top which is sitting out there on saw horses, and I still haven't cut the brackets I want from the junk blazer frame, which is still sitting there.

So to continue my whining, I towed the jimmy home, hauled the tub and parts out to where my 2wd blazer sits in the weeds, got the aluminum slots off the frame and told him to drop back in the trees for now. Sounds simple enough, but it's never as easy as the few words it takes to describe the end result.

With the new garage floor, I felt I better modify my welding cart. It had some large steel wheels on it (old freebies) and I didn't want it to tear up the floor. I picked up some adequate plastic wheels the other day and started to refab the cart. It was homemade out of scraps years ago, and was never level on the floor, so I fixed that and replaced the wheels. I had a bottle bracket from another weld cart (store bought) and modified that to fit this cart. So overall, I'm happy with it.

As far as the bedside goes, maybe tomorrow, maybe later, who knows. Thanks for reading my venting. I feel better now.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:20 AM   #280
nuke1

lOOKING GOOD!!! Your bodywork has improved tremensely. keep it up and you will be a pro in no time. I agree with you on the box, if you plan on using the truck, just coat it, I would suggest Al's like you said, nice stuff, sprays easy and covers great!!!
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #281
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Those projects can hinder you from time to time. I feel your pain. But it'll all work out in the end, so i'm being told a lot lately. Atleast you got your cart situated. That's one less thing to do later on.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 06-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #282
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
lOOKING GOOD!!! Your bodywork has improved tremensely. keep it up and you will be a pro in no time. I agree with you on the box, if you plan on using the truck, just coat it, I would suggest Al's like you said, nice stuff, sprays easy and covers great!!!
Thanks for the tips early on, it really made a difference. My main excuse to not work on it lately has been that sometimes, I just don't want to sand on it. Oh, I remembered the other day that I might have a good pass side wheel well out in my parts storage. So I might get another part that doesn't need welding or dent pounding and filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Those projects can hinder you from time to time. I feel your pain. But it'll all work out in the end, so i'm being told a lot lately. Atleast you got your cart situated. That's one less thing to do later on.
No matter how many things I complete, I never feel as if I have "one less thing to do".

I had some time to kill today near one of my favorite junkyards. Found a cool old chevy truck hubcap, got another HEI distributer with wires and a replacement coil, a horn from a 40 something chevy truck, and a gage cluster from a 73 camaro with a tach and clock. All for $30. I should go back for a mini starter and 6 cyl power steering set up I spotted.

The other day, we were at my daughters softball tourny and had time to kill, so the wife wanted to stop at some garage sales. I picked up 4 new qts of oil, 2 timing lights, and a few other odds and ends for about $6. Another sale netted me a pile of new wire, sanding, and cutting wheels.

Then on my way home from work yesterday, I spotted a cab for sale along the road. Not much left of it, but there was a stash of parts behind the building and I got the rad support (just surface rust) for $14, because that's what I had in my wallet. It even came with the headlights, wire harness and voltage regulator.

Not exactly sure if any of these parts will get used on this project, but I think the rad support will be, and maybe the camaro gages somehow. I got a couple ideas rattling around in my head like a loose marble in a vacuum cleaner.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #283
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice scores!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #284
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

very nice progress!

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 AM   #285
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks guys. I hauled the bedside out of storage today to see what exactly I got, and it turns out, not much. The wheel well was rusted worse than mine but had less dents. All I managed to save from it was a couple pices of floor for patches, the rear cover for the torsion box, a bracket and brace, and a reverse light bucket. I might cut out some of the outer sheetmetal for future patches, depends on the rust.

Because of this little bit of work today, I think I will at least pull my wheel tubs out and make sure I take care of any rust in those areas before I call the inside of the bed good. Maybe by that time I'll come across some good replacements. I'll get back on the body work again soon and have the passenger side done and in epoxy primer at least. I think the driver side is a bit better and should go alright once I get started.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #286
jf781

Just found your build thread and I must say great work. I'm kinda like you and plan on taking all of this on yet have no experience with body work or welding so it will be an interesting ride for sure.

Good work and thanks for keeping us updated.
jf781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #287
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf781 View Post
Just found your build thread and I must say great work. I'm kinda like you and plan on taking all of this on yet have no experience with body work or welding so it will be an interesting ride for sure.

Good work and thanks for keeping us updated.
Thanks for reading and the feedback. A couple tips for the newbies.
1. Get the right tools. That doesn't mean you have to buy high end stuff, just get some good sanding blocks, the right sandpaper, a decent welder that is rated for welding the thinner sheetmetal. Power/air tools are a must. I had one makita angle grinder when I started and now have 3 so I don't have to keep changing wheels from cutting to grinding to sanding, etc. The new ones are $20 specials and work just fine.
2. Practice welding on scrap sheetmetal to get comfortable with it. It's not that hard because all your doing is a series of tack welds. Hold the trigger for less than a second most of the time. Move the tip slightly across the seam during that.
3. If the choice comes up between replacing the panel or repairing it, if there is a good rust free part available, use it. I probably had 10 hours minimum on each door. They are a pain and I would avoid doing it again if possible.
4. Find experienced people and use them. Some body repair guys are very willing to help you out. Both local and here on the board. I've borrowed tools, had them look at might work, and gotten tips for just about every single thing I've done so far. Thanks again James, and all you others from the paint & body section that have answered my questions and helped me out.
5. Be patient. You will have to lay filler in more than once, probably more than 3 times before you get it right. Sanding s**ks and is time consuming and dirty work. Everything in your garage will be dusty, and I mean every single thing.

I'm not doing anything fancy, not much for cool mods. I am doing what most of us on the board need to do and logging all my failures and successes. As Bruce88 says, enjoy your build.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #288
mcbassin
Still Learning

Cool scores at the Junkyard!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #289
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Cool scores at the Junkyard!
If you think thats good, you should see what I got today...

Aux battery tray(1st one I've ever found)

Blazer hatch (I have the broken piece to patch back in, easy repair)

Blazer bucket seats

Also a bag full of other doodads from the blazer doors and a new inner bottom patch panel that was laying in a truck.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #290
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Finally got back to work on this. It was a very busy month in June. Other than a small touch up on one ding, and sanding with a finer grit, the bed side is ready for primer. The door is stripped clean, needs a little mud work yet. Half a day or less to knock that out. I'm not in a big hurry right now because the humidity is too high. It should drop in a few days and I'll spray the primer then.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #291
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I've had some time here and there over the past few days to get some more work done. The passenger side door and bed are ready for primer. All the filler and sanding work is done. I just need to wipe it down and spray it. Which will probably be tomorrow, but who knows, I might get lucky enough to do it today. I even rolled the truck out of the garage so I could get the inch of dust out. What a mess sanding makes.

For those of you considering doing your own bodywork in an attached garage, think twice my friends. There is nothing that escapes the dust. Luckily my garage is detached.

My 43rd birthday is sunday and I'm taking Monday off from work. It's possible I might get the driver side done too.

I forgot to mention that I dropped off the new radiator support and inner fenders at the sandblasters. Should get them back next week.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-10-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #292
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking really good!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #293
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice score at the J'Y again! The body is looking really good! should be getting close to some primer soon.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #294
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looking really good!!!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Nice score at the J'Y again! The body is looking really good! should be getting close to some primer soon.
My favorite time of year is junkyard season.

As a matter of fact, closer than you think.

I'll get it turned around tomorrow to work on the driver side. Just have the hood and tailgate left after that.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #295
VA72C10
VA72C10

Great progress! Looking very smooth. I find that sanding the primer is very gratifying as it goes from rough to glass smooth....
Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #296
jf781

Good work man. Imagine its very gratifying to see that all one color again.

Keep plugging away.
jf781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #297
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf781 View Post
Good work man. Imagine its very gratifying to see that all one color again.

Keep plugging away.
You have no idea. My oldest girl was always embarrassed to be seen with it in all it's multi colored glory. Then yesterday, when she was helping me move it around so I had better access to the driver side, she said "this really looks pretty good when it's all one color". She also loves the color I have picked for it.

Still plugging away. I almost have the bedside stripped, just a few sqare feet left.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #298
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This morning...

This evening...

No surprises, other than how GOOD it looks. It needs very little filler. Should be done with the driver side by this weekend.

And my birthday present was delivered today. It's very comfortable.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #299
wancosc356
I Like Mine With No Shine!

Great progress on the truck! Happy Belated Birthday Man! Enjoy the hammock!

1967 Chevrolet C10 Short Fleet (Literal Ground Up....One Day)
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
1969 Lincoln Continental Coupe Project FOR SALE
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=4578&cat=17
1981 Honda CM400 C Bobber SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384152
wancosc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 PM   #300
VA72C10
VA72C10

bedside looks great! Happy belated Birthday. Looks like you deserve some quality time with your present because of all the hard work you've been doing!