The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Nix62

CPP P/S kit problem and a brake question

I purchased the power steering kit for my 62 but I'm having a hard time figuring out the mount plate and the backing plate. Only one of the holes lines up between the two plates no matter how I orient them.
I think that I may have gotten an non-matching pair or am I mad ?

And a follow up question............I have power drum brakes, factory with the hydraulic clutch/brake master cylinder. I'd like to put discs on the front. Can I keep the stock power booster and master cylinder and just substitute the disc calipers for the drum wheel cylinders ?

Thanks.
Nix62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Chevy Fleetside

Re: CPP P/S kit problem and a brake question

Looks like they sent you a wrong plate, but then again I don't know much about the 62 stuff. I guess you will have to call.
As for the brakes. You can keep the booster but you will need a dual master cylnder and a porportioning valve.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536

Last edited by Chevy Fleetside; 11-28-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
slepysal

Yea it can be a bit confusing off the truck here is my 60 with the CPP kit you do have the right kit for 60-62 look at the picture and you can see how it bolts on
Name:  ps6.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  54.0 KB
as far as converting to disc there ar a few threds on this ,But I would highy recomend you get the the bracket for power brakes from captinfab it will make it easy

"Over, Around or through it... "

Last edited by slepysal; 11-28-2010 at 11:22 PM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Nix62

Obviously I hadn't had enough beer when I tried lining the holes up.

I think I got it now.

So I can start the power steering conversion this week.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix62 View Post

I'd like to put discs on the front. Can I keep the stock power booster and master cylinder and just substitute the disc calipers for the drum wheel cylinders ?

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum. I've never seen a factory brake booster on a 62, it would be interesting to see the setup. Is it a conventional type mounted on the firewall?

In any event the drum brake master cylinder will not work with disc brake calipers, they are incompatible due to residual pressure valving, fluid capacity, and outlets needed for the separate front and rear hard lines. These are needed to accommodate the proportioning valve, which controls how much pressure goes to the front and rear brake systems. Generally the boosters must be used with the compatible master cylinder (disc or drum) due to differences in push rod length where the M/C attaches to the booster.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Nix62

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
,But I would highy recomend you get the the bracket for power brakes from captinfab it will make it easy
I already have power brakes, just that they are power drums.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I believe the bracket slepysal is referring to is to accommodate a disc brake booster/master cylinder and separate clutch master cylinder, allowing you to retain the hydraulic clutch. If you’re currently using a stock dual 1960-62 brake/clutch master cylinder it isn’t going to work with disc brakes:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=362375
Old 11-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Nix62

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I've never seen a factory brake booster on a 62, it would be interesting to see the setup. Is it a conventional type mounted on the firewall?
Here's what I have.

Didn't think it would be an easy switch.........just hoping it would have been. Keeping the hydraulic clutch and converting to discs might be more difficult.
I may just keep what I have. they work pretty well considering.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix62 View Post
I already have power brakes, just that they are power drums.
but you have a clutch/brake master combo yea? Is it a 3 bolt mount ? If so you will have to swap the master cylinder (as mentioned) to a dual master cylinder and I dont think those are available in a 3 bolt config.,so you'll have to go with a standard 2 bolt master and booster. Thats why I recomended the bracket.
If you can bolt a disc brake master to your booster, you still have to address the clutch master . post a pic of your booster/master cyl.

"Over, Around or through it... "

Last edited by slepysal; 11-29-2010 at 12:07 AM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Very cool, from what I've read that’s called a hydroboost unit. I’ve never seen one on a 60-62 before. I believe they have the advantage of not being dependent on engine vacuum.

Here’s a thread that pertains to them:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=hydro+vac

You might want to ask Captainfab what options may be available for your setup. I believe he knows a great deal about these units, while my exposure is only what I’ve read on this forum.

Last edited by markeb01; 11-29-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

When converting to front disc brakes, you really need to change to a dual reservior master cylinder made for a disc/drum system as well as the proportioning valve.. Switching from the stock combination brake/clutch master is fairly straight forward. However I see a couple of clearance issues. One is the air cleaner and the other is possibly the oil filter. The air cleaner interference with the firewall mounted booster is common with the I6 engines. GM installed offset air cleaners on the trucks with power brakes and the I6 engines. Let me know if you would like any other info.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #12
Nix62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
When converting to front disc brakes, you really need to change to a dual reservior master cylinder made for a disc/drum system as well as the proportioning valve.. Switching from the stock combination brake/clutch master is fairly straight forward. However I see a couple of clearance issues. One is the air cleaner and the other is possibly the oil filter. The air cleaner interference with the firewall mounted booster is common with the I6 engines. GM installed offset air cleaners on the trucks with power brakes and the I6 engines. Let me know if you would like any other info.
The air cleaner is one I found at a junk yard many many years ago.......it fit so it got used. I'm not married to it

The oil filter moves....and I suspect it's been moved to accommodate the hydroboost brake deal. Probably at the factory. However at this point I don't know that I want to change everything just to add on discs when the drums work pretty good. Perhaps when the current set up goes south.

Thanks for all the answers..........it's helped.

Last edited by Nix62; 11-29-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:55 AM   #13
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Let us know how the power steering installation goes, and post some pics of your truck when you can. Everybody here likes pictures.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
Haram

I did a cpp disc brakes conversion and power steering on my 1963. There kit are well put together. You actual have to alter the inside bracket for the power steering conversion to work, by removing one of the ears off the bracket. I don't remember which one. I will send a pic when i have some day light. As far as the disk barkes you need to run a dual master cylinder and a proportioning valve if you are going disk in the front. I will send pics of the kit i used.
Attached Images

Haram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
chevyguys
I Got it BAD!

Here are a few pics of my CPP kit. There was an instruction sheet with mine that outlined how everything goes together. Just had to drill out one of the threaded holes in the power steering box per the directions. Hope this helps...
Attached Images