The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
luifer76

Semi Wheels

hey guys i apologize for being so ignorant in this particular subject but my question is for all the guys running 22's or 24's on their duallys that have been cut down to accept low profile tires i been looking around for a set of semi wheels for my square dually i seen some here local and a great price too some of the ones i seen are polished allready and some are not and they still need to be cut down from 22.5 to 22's anyway moving along with the question i talk to a guy on the phone and i had planned to go see the wheels and buy them until the guy told me that the wheels were lug nut piloted so i ask the guy if this the kind that people were using on their duallys.... and he said he wasn't sure but he tried to explain to me that they make 2 different kinds of wheels lugnut piloted and hub piloted well i didnt understand the difference specially over the phone..... i know they use adapters in order to put them on a dually but which kind of wheel are they using? both kinds? if some out there is familiar with this i would appreciate your input and it will be greatly appreciated i just don't want to buy the wrong set and be stuck with something i dont need thanks in advanced
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
chebyshortbox65

Re: Semi Wheels

Seems most use hub piloted which means exactly that the wheels are centered buy the hub itself,the budd or lug piloted use the lug nuts themself to center the wheel on the hub you can easily spot the diffrence by the mounting holes budd have big lug holes that are resesed and stud piloted have small lug holes and the rims mounting flange is flat,on the machining they machine the outside lips of the wheels so a 22" tire will fit over the lip,i think they make adapters for both style wheels but not 100% on that
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
luifer76

so it sounds like both kinds will work is just the way their mounted?....
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
J Knight

If you have a choice of the two, I would use the HUB PILOTED rims. Stud piloted wheels are not used by semi trucks any more, not since about 1990 or older.