The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
just samples

69 swb exhaust question

how do you get flowmasters or another exhaust system to fit? do you bend the pipes?

also which sounds better flowmasters or magnaflow?
just samples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
1low

Re: 69 swb exhaust question

ya your going to have to get some pipe bent up
1low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just samples View Post
how do you get flowmasters or another exhaust system to fit? do you bend the pipes?
First off, welcome aboard.
I'm guessing, from your questions, you are kinda' new at this stuff. Take heart, we all gotta' learn somehow.
Best advice, take it to a local muffler shop and tell them what you want. If you can, get a couple of quotes and then move ahead. I know that requires a little $$ up-front, but you'll be way ahead and you'll have a system that last.
Keep the faith and stay after it.
Quote:
That's a personal preference. Flowmaters have a distinct tone. I can spot them with my eyes closed.
Magnaflow are generally a little more mellow.
Go to a local cruise-in and listen and ask questions. You have to decide which sound you prefer.
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
96blazr

Welcome to the Board Just Samples.
Couple of questions: Is this your Daily Driver? What engine are you running now? And are you going to add any "Go Fast" goodies to the truck? Like a Hotter Cam and Headers?

I own a SWB and I had a custom shop do my system. I think it was the best value for my money. It fits my truck and doesn't rattle. Plus they can do a better job of fitting it to your truck and if they're worth a damn, they'll stand by their work a year or more down the road.

I'm using Hooker 2-1/2" Aerochamber mufflers with my system and they sound a Hell of a lot better than flows or Magna's, but that's just my opinion.
Summit has Aerochambers for 70 bucks-a-piece.

I chose the SS version and did all my pipe in SS, cause I don't feel like spending anymore money on my Exhaust system. I got it all in SS and welded and it's done deal for the next ten years (or More).

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
just samples

I am running a ZZ4 350 from GM and a B&M Racing transmission. he said it already had flowmasters but they are no where near as loud as others.

Do they fabricate the pipes there or do i need to buy the complete system off line and take it too, i was going to run from end of headers back.

Yea i am brand 'new' to this
Old 11-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

New - No Problem
Flowmasters come in several styles, each with a different noise level. But, they all sound like Flowmasters to me.
Check their website for samples. I think some other sites may sample too! Try DynoMax (Walker) and Magnaflow.
Find out what you like.
Spend all you've got,
Late in life, you'll think of the things you didn't do, not the things you did. - Get out and experience life !
Robbie Robinson a.k.a. TobyArnot (Toe Bee or not toe bee)
Old 11-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
BLOWN72

I've had Flowmaster on pretty much every car I have ever owned, so I can be a little bias. My last truck was a 97 Sierra with a 350 Vortec in it, with custom true duals 2.5" Flowmaster's and loved the sound a lot of people liked it. It could get loud though. But it was deep and wasn't too loud when just driving around but that wasn't with headers and cammed motor.

Last edited by BLOWN72; 11-02-2011 at 03:23 PM.
BLOWN72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
96blazr

Quote:
I am running a ZZ4 350 from GM and a B&M Racing transmission. he said it already had flowmasters but they are no where near as loud as others.

Do they fabricate the pipes there or do i need to buy the complete system off line and take it too, i was going to run from end of headers back.

Yea i am brand 'new' to this
So, do you want it loud (er)?
Like Toby said it's YOUR decision, but if you're looking for LOUD, then go with Flowmasters.
If you're looking for more low-end rumble and getting a Deeper tone then my recommendation is for the Hooker Aerochambers or the Magnaflows.
Do a search on Youtube and listen to a S-load of videos.
I have a 350/350 Combo with 2-1/2" Stainless and the Aerochambers. I get a really nice low-end rumble and not any "RAP" sound from it at all when I step on it. Sounds awesome from standing still through 70mph.
The shop did all the bending of the piping and hanging.

If you want, you could buy your own pipe, but I'd just let them take care of it. Make sure it's a Reputable shop.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Quote:

Hey JS,
I took some pictures with my phone, posted below. As I said, I paid $ to have someone to fab my exhaust. I'm 65 and still very capable of doing it myself, but I've finally realized that paying someone who has the right tools, saves me much time and much more frustration. Nothin' fancy, just two Thrush Turbo ($25/ea.). Moving mufflers to the rear really did move the noise source further back. And like the shop guy said, with 'em at the back, chopping 'em off and changing to something else becomes a non-issue. So............
Pic #3 shows the full run up to the OEM manifolds. Took off 4-tube headers (God, I must be gettin' old).
Attached Images

Spend all you've got,
Late in life, you'll think of the things you didn't do, not the things you did. - Get out and experience life !
Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyArnot View Post
Hey JS,
Moving mufflers to the rear really did move the noise source further back. And like the shop guy said, with 'em at the back, chopping 'em off and changing to something else becomes a non-issue. So............
Took off 4-tube headers (God, I must be gettin' old).

Not a bad idea. Definitely would make for ease of replacement and or swapping.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Robznob11

Most of the mufflers mentioned have a crackle when romped on my preferance is dynomax super turbos mellow at idle but deep agressive growl when romped. If you want to spend very little just cut it off before the axle and put two turn downs pointed straight at the ground. Even if you go all the way back dumps will always be louder. Id say get on youtube and search and listen to different brands on many set ups use earbuds to get a good feel of the tone.and one final thought camshafts play a big role in the tone and loudness of a exhaust through the entire rpm band so dont be suprised when you buy what someone else is running and dont get as agressive sound as them.larger pipe will be louder but there is no need for to go bigger than 2.5 it will kill your low speed tq. Good luck and welcome!!
Posted via Mobile Device
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
just samples

does the pipes matter, i know the size does, but the pipes dont make a big difference in sound does it. the muffler is what chages it mostly.

The ones currently have been welded on so i would have to cut or take off from headers back...
Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #13
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Quote:
does the pipes matter, i know the size does, but the pipes dont make a big difference in sound does it. the muffler is what chages it mostly.

The ones currently have been welded on so i would have to cut or take off from headers back...
Theoreticaly "size does matter", in that a larger dia. pipe would have a slightly lower resonant frequency, but the human ear would be hard pressed to detect the difference. 2-1/4" is plenty big for a street truck, but there again, it's up to you.
Don't know if S.S. would make a difference, I can't afford S.S. I figure what I've got will have to last more than a few years.
Spend all you've got,
Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The real difference in "Pipe" is the bends and length.The bends need to be mandrel bent so that they don't bunch up or collapse in the bends.Length will also affect the sound some shorter is usually louder.Side exit also always seems louder to me but unbalanced since I can hear one side better.
Do some research and decide what "YOU" like before you spend the $$$.Exhuast last a long time if done right.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #15
Boog
laying low

Nothing wrong with putting the muffs at the rear. Vettes and Camaro, Firebird, Nova all have had them back there. It's actually a pretty good idea. I have wondered if a crossflow muff from an early Camaro might mount up and sound good on a truck.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
BLOWN72

Quote:

Size does matter in the sound department, the smaller the pipe the louder and more raspier and popping it's going to be. I would say 2.5" would be a safe bet. I have done that on a lot of cars and trucks and always just sounds better
BLOWN72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #18
1972RedNeck

How about some good ole' Cherry Bomb glass packs?

They're probably too loud for you. I like my flowmasters on my 383.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #19
67-72trucks

I run Flowmaster original 40 series on all my restorations
67-72trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #20
Robznob11

here is how i done mine. its 3" I had to make pipe to connect headers to kit because the f body headers kick out towards the frame, but other than that i just used a jeggs x pipe kit and super turbos. a regular sbc would be easier caus most headers come out straight. I would have loved to go through the custom member like its intended but becuase of the engine set back and 80e just did not have room for x pipe
Attached Images

,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #21
just samples

so i just buy the muffler and get a muffler shop to fabricate my pipes right?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #22
Ms 69 longbed

The shop we go to will test fit different mufflers so you can hear how they sound on your truck or car. The guys I talked to recommend 2 1/4 pipe with magnaflow mufflers since I don't want to irritate the neighbors too much
Ms 69 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #23
just samples

do some muffles like flowmaster outlaws not have a big rectangle box like super 44's?

What about the cat? i guess most older cars dont have em?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #24
just samples

is Pypes exhaust any good?