The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
chevyfreek

65 C20 Tow Rig

Hello everyone, I own a 65 C20 and would like to make a tow rig out of it. my pipe dream is 6BT Cummins and a NV5600. I would box the frame, and make stronger trailing arms with airbags. But as I said that is a pipe dream and isn't going to be true in the next 5 years, but what I really need to know is what should I do to make my 65 tow a 35 foot gooseneck with a 65 VW bug and a 95 4runner across country potently. I realize I will probably get some flack for this and get told to buy a new truck for this, but if I have to buy a new truck I don't think my old lady will like that as we have 4 cars/trucks. LOL
So, any help would be appreciated, even if its telling me 35 foot is too long and try thinking 16-20 feet and one car/truck. Thank you for all your help.
chevyfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: 65 C20 Tow Rig

I used my C10 to pull a horse trailer (a 16' Sundowner Performer customized to accommodate two Draft horses) to local events, but I would be hesitant to pull something heavier and longer with even a C20 chassis for long hauls...not that we can't build the power to pull it, but mainly because of the stability and braking concerns. With two 18hh 1 ton horses, tack, feed and water, the trailer would move the rear of my truck around. I also boxed my frame, went with tubular trailing arms, and HD rear air springs.

For pulling a 35' travel trailer and all of the equipment and amenities that go with it, I would only pull it with a 1-ton pick up for the safety of myself and the other drivers around me.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
chevyfreek

Ok, what would be the stability concerns be? I understand the braking part that I would upgrade as well and have a trailer braking system in place to aid that. How would the trailer move your rear end? Is their a way to combat the rear-end moving around? The most I've towed is a single place car trailer and a U-Haul up the west coast on the Pacific Coast Highway, so I don't have the most knowledge on what would happen.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
chevyfreek

Would adding a rear sway bar help or a 4link?
Old 06-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

For me, I would want the HD leaf spring pack with overloads...the track bar moved the rearend around too much for my taste through the suspension travel. Plus, if you only have rear air springs, and one fails, you're kind of screwed.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote