The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #26
airspeed247

Re: 1979 C10 SWB Build - Off To Hawaii

I personally think with the torque thrusts it looks good how it is now but if I had kept the 15's then maybe about a 2" drop would have been perfect. Given it more of a muscle truck vs sport truck look. I'm happy with both though. If I did it all over again I would probably do 15's with the 2" drop. But I'll save that for the 61' C10 I have.
airspeed247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:44 PM   #27
airspeed247

Nothing major but I did get some new door window knobs to toss on. My other ones were broke and figured I would swap them out. Best price I found was on amazon.

More so for this post is to show off the condition of the doors and the lower wood/molding/no idea what this is besides a speaker surround and the doors themselves. Needless to say the doors are pretty toast on the bottoms. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference on swapping the doors out as the original serial number tag is on the drivers side door or if anyone really cares about that. If I could find some good donor door before I move I will probably toss them on.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2022, 03:47 PM   #28
airspeed247

Bigger issue now is that after I lowered the truck and the transmission puked out fluid from the fill tube and I unclogged the breather line. I've added two quarts of transmission fluid as it was super low (Must have been puking for a while)

The truck will not shift now.....

Also need to get in there and adjust my shift needle. Its way off.
Attached Images

Last edited by airspeed247; 08-11-2022 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #29
airspeed247

Also quick update. Shop that sent my spindles setup a mock setup and they had no issues. The clearance between their rotor and the caliper pins was good to go. So no idea whats wrong with mine. Maybe my rotors are larger? when I replace them I'll confirm but no clue. More worried about the shifting now as I was able to drive the truck around as it sits with no issues minus being stuck in gear.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:25 PM   #30
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Sounds like the vacuum line is off the shift modulator? Adjusting the little needle above the column is easy. Remove the plastic cover at the bottom of the column and you’ll see the little clip. Just slide it around on the column sleeve until your gears line up.

Also, what size are the torque thrusts? The stance is perfect on your drop.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #31
airspeed247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Sounds like the vacuum line is off the shift modulator? Adjusting the little needle above the column is easy. Remove the plastic cover at the bottom of the column and you’ll see the little clip. Just slide it around on the column sleeve until your gears line up.

Vacuum line? I think you're on to something there. I need to figure out where that is because when I was reaching around underneath to clean the vent there was a rubber hose that I pulled out of the way a bit to get some more clearance.Let me see if I can find a diagram of that. Thank you for shooting me that way.

Agreed on the needle adjustment. Should be super easy.

HOWEVER... like all projects when I took off the cover I ran into some broken pieces that I need to replace to make it work.

Sidenote - So I read alot of these build threads and so many of them start off the same way.

Simple build, don't plan on getting crazy with it etc etc.

Then you go through about 10 pages and it's a frame off rebuild because people can't help but getting carried away.

I feel that. Really trying to keep this an every day garage mechanic KISS build. But we will see.
Attached Images

Last edited by airspeed247; 08-11-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:52 PM   #32
airspeed247

Quote:

Torque thrusts are a square setup 18x8 I believe. They may be 7.5's, I picked them up with tires already mounted and didn't get to pull the part numbers off them. I'd prefer a bit more offset but I got a great deal on them with tires and couldn't pass up using them.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:17 PM   #33
airspeed247

Quote:
Sounds like the vacuum line is off the shift modulator?
After doing some more research on vacuum modulators I'm starting to think maybe mine was going bad in general. I had smoke on the exhaust, smells of transmission fluid, fluid showing low and it shifted pretty hard prior to going out. I'm going to check my vacuum lines this evening but may swap it out anyways. Cheap insurance. Will relay how it goes. Thank you for pointing me in that direction!
Old 08-11-2022, 09:47 PM   #34
airspeed247

Crawled under the truck after the kid fell asleep to check the lines on the transmission vacuum modulator and sure as **** it was completely disconnected. When I was underneath the truck to clear out the vent line I saw the rubber vacuum line there and thought it was a vent line from somewhere else and had tucked it away.

Looks like whomever installed mine just has a rubber vacuum line running from the transmission all the way to the intake. So I re-connected it to make it work however the vacuum line is too large. So I'm going to get a new modulator, a smaller vacuum line and try and source the metal one. In the meantime I hope this will get me back on the road and thank you again Corts60 for mentioning it.

This is exactly why I started this thread. I know more than the average person but there's always things I'm learning and today was definitely one of those moments. So I appreciate that
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2022, 06:46 AM   #35
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airspeed247 View Post
Crawled under the truck after the kid fell asleep to check the lines on the transmission vacuum modulator and sure as **** it was completely disconnected. When I was underneath the truck to clear out the vent line I saw the rubber vacuum line there and thought it was a vent line from somewhere else and had tucked it away.

Looks like whomever installed mine just has a rubber vacuum line running from the transmission all the way to the intake. So I re-connected it to make it work however the vacuum line is too large. So I'm going to get a new modulator, a smaller vacuum line and try and source the metal one. In the meantime I hope this will get me back on the road and thank you again Corts60 for mentioning it.

This is exactly why I started this thread. I know more than the average person but there's always things I'm learning and today was definitely one of those moments. So I appreciate that
Glad to help bud! That’s what we’re all here for. A nice place to chat and receive help without all the social media garbage attached. Haha.

I might suggest just replacing the hose first before buying the modulator. The loose hose may have contributed to that hard shift before.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:54 AM   #36
Rich84

Quote:
Vacuum line? I think you're on to something there. I need to figure out where that is because when I was reaching around underneath to clean the vent there was a rubber hose that I pulled out of the way a bit to get some more clearance.Let me see if I can find a diagram of that. Thank you for shooting me that way.

Agreed on the needle adjustment. Should be super easy.

HOWEVER... like all projects when I took off the cover I ran into some broken pieces that I need to replace to make it work.
I am not seeing the broken pieces..If your talking about the crack in the white plastic it is supposed to be there. The wire goes in it.
But I can't see too good, you might be talking about something else.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:00 PM   #37
airspeed247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
I am not seeing the broken pieces..If your talking about the crack in the white plastic it is supposed to be there. The wire goes in it.
But I can't see too good, you might be talking about something else.
I thought the white plastic was broke at first as well but realized it was good to go. More so referring to the needle itself where the wire is supposed to connect and where it's suppose to sit in place to be able to slide left and right. Also the column piece where the end of the wire clips to is missing some plastic. I think I can work around that part but the broken needle pieces may mean I have to replace the entire shift indicator. Not a huge deal and easy swap. Just another part for the list.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:08 PM   #38
airspeed247

Thanks to Corts input I ran over to NAPA and picked up a new transmission vacuum modulator. I assumed mine still worked but was just disconnected but I figured it was cheap insurance to just go ahead and replace it. NAPA had a made in USA one and I replaced some of the hose and added hose clamps so hopefully I don't run into the issue again.

Took it out and immediately noticed not only that it shifted again! but also did so ALOT smoother than with the old one in. The old one had a noticeable harder hitting shift and this one is super smooth. It's possible the other one was adjusted that way as it was also adjustable but I like how it is now.

Really surprised one small part like that could throw off shifting completely. Also shows how simple things can be sometimes.

I will note that when I replaced mine a good amount of transmission fluid came out so I swapped them fast to help mitigate that. I've seen post where no fluid came out for people and others where alot did. Just wanted to note that.

Pictures are of before and after. I tossed a zip tie up there so that it wouldn't flop around as much or rest on the header.

Took the 2 year old out and we finally got to get a good ride in today.

One thing I did notice is that my rear passenger side bottoms out alot. Wasn't expecting that based off what I've seen on this drop setup but it's extremely likely due to my torched rear leafs. I'm thinking replacement ones will not only lift it slightly but give me the correct spring rate again which should fix the issue. May also just add a C notch while I'm at it but we will see.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2022, 10:54 AM   #39
airspeed247

Nothing crazy this weekend but did pickup a spare tire from a later model truck. Need to figure how I want to mount it so its not just hanging out in the bed sliding around and getting beat by the sun. Going to check out some options out there. Was only $40 and finally have some peace of mind.

Also swapped out one of my rear shocks. When I got it if you flipped it over it would make a sound like there was a loose nut or something inside there. Like a rain stick basically. Amazon made easy work of it and the fresh one is installed.

Finishing wiring up my gauge lighting so that it all works and then next on the list is of needs is an:

1. Alignment
2. New brake master cylinder as mine is starting to leak from sitting I believe.
3. Finding some over the shoulder seatbelts vs just the lap belt
4. Rear View mirror
5. Add a horn setup as mine is missing

From there I'd like to get a roll pan and new steering wheel but no rush on those.

I am going to work on the doors as well. I want to remove that bottom layer of rotted out wood thats there and maybe get some new speakers with covers to clean it all up.

Still on the search for rear leaf springs...
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2022, 05:12 PM   #40
69Tom

Quote:
I thought the white plastic was broke at first as well but realized it was good to go. More so referring to the needle itself where the wire is supposed to connect and where it's suppose to sit in place to be able to slide left and right. Also the column piece where the end of the wire clips to is missing some plastic. I think I can work around that part but the broken needle pieces may mean I have to replace the entire shift indicator. Not a huge deal and easy swap. Just another part for the list.
I just bought this and was done with it.

https://www.classicparts.com/1973-79...ctinfo/91-450/
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:10 PM   #41
airspeed247

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
I just bought this and was done with it.

https://www.classicparts.com/1973-79...ctinfo/91-450/
Thats what I'm going to end up having to do. If I go that route I may order a few more things though so I'm stalling a bit.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:37 PM   #42
airspeed247

Nothing too crazy but got some more little things in. Not sure what they will require in Hawaii so I tossed on a rear view mirror that was broken off, ordered a horn kit as mine seems to be all missing and scored a steering wheel to swap on. Just an old grant that will be better than whats on there.

Think I may have sourced some leaf springs off a suburban that are the same length that I can swap the top leafs out with but standing by for measurements.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #43
airspeed247

Bigger question I have is in regards to the A/C setup thats in the truck.

So the truck originally had a 305 and had this 350 that was a supposed to go into a camaro into it. The A/C compressor looks to be updated and doesn't line up with the belt locations but I'm sure I could fix that. Other thing is that the hoses don't match up either.

Those who have setup A/C, is this setup worth using or should I just remove the compressor and hoses that are just sitting in there? I'm leaning towards taking them out as I really don't know if that setup would work and is worth having just sitting in the engine bay.

This compressor has only two hoses coming off. One hooked up to the front where it looks like a return line is missing and the other that doesn't have the right connector to attach to the cab side.

Advice would be greatly appreciated?
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2022, 04:28 PM   #44
airspeed247

Still deciding on the A/C components. May post them in the main page to see if anyone has any insight before I pull them off.

In the meantime I wasn't planning on getting a new steering wheel for a while but I tossed an offer out on ebay for one for $20, they accepted, so here I am. I like this style for these trucks but wanted to do something a little different.

The paint was flaking off the "spokes" so I figured I would sand it all off, paint it and clear coat it to give it a fresh look. Besides the paint the grip itself is in great condition and it came with the correct mounting kit. So win win. Also I've included a picture of the steering wheel setup that was on the truck. I've looked under the hood and couldn't find a horn so with that and the wheel setup I just assumed it had been ripped out. So I was going to bypass it and just instal my own horn kit. Upon installing this new one though the horn kept going off when I contacted the switch. So it changed my plans to make this setup work like original. Another win

Back to the steering wheel I won. Cleaned the grip up and its like new, then took the flaking paint off to reveal a nice patina. Figured screw it, it actualy matches the trucks body so I decided to leave the spokes as they are and will clear coat them with probably a satin clear. Wire wheeled the rusted bolts and clear coated them but decided to go ahead and swap them out for grade 8 bolts just to change the look. Ordered a horn button which is on its way and now have a custom looking patina steering wheel. I'm not upset about it. With shipping I can't complain as I'm in maybe $50 and the size, feel, and look is so much better. Will shoot over another shot when the horn is fully installed.

Less than 30 days of us moving and starting the venture to Hawaii now so trying to knock out any last minute items while I still have a driveway and garage
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #45
airspeed247

Not sure why these upload upside down. Will look better with the new bow tie horn button but thats the jest of it.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2022, 04:21 PM   #46
airspeed247

Got the horn button in and went ahead and replaced the mounting hardware as well as I didn't realize the factory horn setup worked when I got the steering wheel. Needed the correct horn wire and one of the three mounting bolts was stripped.

Overall really happy with the semi-custom look I was able to work with it and more excited that the horn actually works like its supposed to. When people rebuild/replace a steering column you never really know how that will work out.

One month out from the move now and then the truck will be stored for a little bit until I can get it shipped over. Will keep it posted on last minute changes.

Since I haven't had good luck finding rear leaf springs I think I'm going to order a drop shackle for the rear to compensate for the extra sag from the leaf springs. Since is SUA now then a drop shackle should raise it. I just want to get an inch out of the back to help with the ride height. I will do a C notch down the line but want to give the shocks a little more breathing room to go along with the relocation brackets. With the right leaf springs I think it would be totally fine back there but this should even everything out how I want.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #47
airspeed247

Here is what I was told about my a/c setup:

"That whole bracket setup looks like a mess, and I can't even see the alternator but from what I can see it doesn't look right either. Looks like a short water pump but the compressor bracket is for a long water pump. The water pump pulley probably has been modified to fit, pretty sure it's from the car but it's missing a spot for a belt on the rear. With a long water pump the fan would be more into the shroud where it's supposed to be. The power steering setup is some combination of the truck and car."

So needless to say I'm going to rip it out. No sense in it just sitting in there incorrectly and just resting on things. When I'm able to figure out what or if I want to run a setup I'll match everything up
Old 08-25-2022, 08:34 PM   #48
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Your truck has a long water pump on it already.
Whoever told you it was a short water pump was wrong.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:36 PM   #49
airspeed247

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Your truck has a long water pump on it already.
Whoever told you it was a short water pump was wrong.
I appreciate that. Either way I think I'm going to try and pull it out.

Truck is ready to go on it's first leg and headed to Texas from Florida next week. Will try and do any last minute things I want to with it before it gets shipped over but the process has begun.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:30 PM   #50
airspeed247

The shift to the Pacific has begun. I'm not entirely sure how this will play out to get it to Hawaii but the first move began today. Loaded up and headed to Texas from Florida.

Prior to its next move I will see it again for a couple days before we head to the island but this is the first step. Hoping to do the rear leaf shackles when I see it as they just came in today. Would have installed them prior but they showed up right after it left.

From Texas my goal is to drive or get it to California in a few months after we get situated and then ship it over from there. We shall see how it plays out though and I will keep this up to date.
Attached Images