The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Wear gloves.....

I even use to cheap brown cotton gloves to add an extra layer for knuckle protection. The do have "high performance" gloves out there too.
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Me and all my crew use nitrate gloves. Their disposable, a box of 100 runs about $15, will keep your hands clean and resist most chemicals. Long sleeve shirts also go a long way in protecting you arms, even in steamy south Florida all my techs use long sleeve shirts.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
funky3821
My brain fell out

Well this doesn't pertain to the knuckle protection but to over all hand protection!

Less then a month ago I was in my shop working on the injectors for the TBI on my truck. I had a freind over working in the garage next to the shop and I hear this "OH #$%# My @#$$ thumb!" So I run out to see what happened! Theres my buddy with a bloody hand and a quizzy look on his face!
What happened was her was grinding a rivit off a ball joint and hit his thumb! Ripped his nail almost clean off and put a huge dent in his thumb! I told him we needed to go to the doctor and have it cleaned out!

Later that week I got to see his thumb and MAN :sick: HE had a 1/4 knotch cut out of his thumb and no nail! Pretty nasty!

So always remember to wear gloves when grinding! Not to mention eye protection!!!!!!
Go here

'88 Chevy Silverado w/305
funky3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
cdowns

love those cheap brown cotton gloves!! i buy them by the dozen!!!!especially usaefull whenwaxing buffing or polishing stuff they work good for tight spots
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
Americanrider

yea...wear em if your going to wire wheel something.
Attached Images

Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
blaserman

Man you were lucky. That almost went into the vain. I always were thin leather gloves that I get by the box at HF.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #7
71SWBChevy
Post Whore

My uncle is a diesel mechanic in a mine and on day when using a wire wheel a wire went into his throat barely missing his juggular. He had to have it surgically removed. Needless to say he alway wears collared shirts as opposed to the normal t-shirts. Also he was exceeding the recommended RPM's for the wire wheel.
71SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:21 AM   #8
ureckme
ureckmefixit2@cox.net

If you have read any of my threads in body & paint you know I got cut real bad 3 times in one mounth, left hand. One a week for 3 weeks 2 inches a part and all bad bleeders. Just wear your Gloves!. No Glove, No love.
Crower Custom Grind .462in .486ex
Dyno Test 422hp @ 5600
And it's got a Holley
3.73 Gears
12 Bolt 3.73 w/Posi
700R4 Going In
I'm a Body Man So There!
That's why it's not painted
ureckme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #9
squizzleboy

speaking of grinders. i was using a cutoff wheel on a grinder and i was standing over the metal wearing some loose shorts and boxers. a spark came straight up my pants and hit me in the u know what. i dropped that grinder so fast and i am still haunted by it to this day.
silverado seats
american autowire harness
squizzleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:20 PM   #10
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Wear gloves? maybe not always

We run a very safety concious shop and rarely have injuries. A couiple stories about gloves from personal experience. We ask operators to use cautious judgement when wearing gloves around rotating machinery. Case in point, our bed strip roll forming operator was cleaning the rollers which is typically done with the rollers slowly turning. He was wearing white cotton gloves. His glove finger got caught in the pinch point between rollers. He managed to hit the stop button and pull his hand out of the glove before injury but it could have been disaster.

My cousin was wearing leather work gloves too near a fairly large rotating shaft of a piece of farm machinery. A set screw on the shaft caught the glove and took his arm off near the elbo. This was years ago before many of the current safety standards were in place.

When you think about it, even a large drill press bit or similar tool can catch a part of a glove and do serious damage. Extreme care must be used if wearing leather or canvas gloves around any rotating equipment.

Work safely!

Mar-Ktech