The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
TexasSteve

Have power but zero start?

I bought this 2001 GMC Sierra 12 days ago & it has started flawlessly until today. My first thought wasa dead battery, like I gad left the interior lights on, but turning the key gets ZERO attempt at starting (no starter crank) all the power accessories act just fine, the gauge shows a full charge and my battery charger has been on the truck for 4 hours now & still no starter action.

Bad ignition switch? I have noticed that if the key was in too far or not far enough, the cylinder wouldn't turn. But turning the key today & NOTHING! My first thought is that the key cylinder is bad & not sending power to the starter.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss. This is my first modern classic & I have no real clue where to even start looking.
TexasSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
bighaas79

Re: Have power but zero start?

Would start by seeing if you have power to the starter when someone tries to start it. starter is far more common than ignition switch.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
379redneck

X2 on the starter. Try jumping the starter
Posted via Mobile Device

87 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 350/TH350/NP203 Flow Tech long tube headers, throttle body spacer, Edelbrock Performer cam, true dual Flowmaster 40s, 6 inch Superlift suspension lift

2000 silverado extended cab stepside 5.3l. Stock for now
379redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
TexasSteve

Will do, but I have never known a starter to work one moment & die the next. Always seen them as a gradually failing part.

At http://www.edmunds.com/gmc/sierra-15...liability.html I did read:

An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder and Housing Assembly. Failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder and Housing Assembly may prevent the engine from starting.

The cost to repair the Ignition Lock Cylinder and Housing is estimated at $183.75 for parts and $84.50 for labor. All prices are estimated based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or applicable taxes.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
MadManAndrew

A lot simpler than that would be to pull the starter relay and meter plug 85 and 86. If you get power there when you try to start, the problem is South; if not, it's North. Much easier than trying to jump the starter.

I agree with you it's probably the ignition cylinder, I've seen quite a few threads about them dying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
TexasSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManAndrew View Post
A lot simpler than that would be to pull the starter relay and meter plug 85 and 86. If you get power there when you try to start, the problem is South; if not, it's North. Much easier than trying to jump the starter.

I agree with you it's probably the ignition cylinder, I've seen quite a few threads about them dying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Starter relay? I'm used to the incorporated solenoid on older GMs & know of the relays for the older Fords.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
TexasSteve

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Ok.....I found the part Online so can't be too hard to find in person once I go look. Plugs 85 & 86....Which terminal relates to before or after the relay?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
TexasSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSteve View Post
Ok.....I found the part Online so can't be too hard to find in person once I go look. Plugs 85 & 86....Which terminal relates to before or after the relay?
Found the answer in my own collection of diagrams on my laptop.....
85 = power in
86 = power out
Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
MadManAndrew

My Duramax has a starter relay, I may be mistaken assuming gassers do too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
TexasSteve

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
If I have power on one side & the relay is bad, shouldn't I be able to use a jumper wire to imitate the relay & start the truck that way (key on of course)? And that would eliminate any further issues downstream.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
MadManAndrew

I would think so. Jump 87 and 30 together. The only problem with that is that when you try to start the truck with the key, all the accessories turn off so you have full power to the starter. I'm not really sure if that system would still work if you were to just jump the starter relay.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
TexasSteve

It was the starter. Simple hammer tap got it started. Now let's see if the mechanic rapes me on the repair price. Shouldn't since I brought it in...."Replace the starter." No diagnostic fee, nothing.

I'm Physically Disabled otherwise I'd sure do it myself. Plus it is raining & I have a gravel/dirt driveway, no garage, so I wouldn't be eager to get out there & do it myself today anyways. Considering what repair work I've done in the past...I can hardly believe that I'm paying for a starter replacement!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
MadManAndrew

Glad to hear you found the culprit. Not exactly the best thing that could have been wrong, but at least it's getting fixed.

Just as a reference for others that may stumble upon this thread in the future: a bit of googling turned up that loss of the 40 amp ignition relay also exhibits these symptoms.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
TexasSteve

Quote:
Glad to hear you found the culprit. Not exactly the best thing that could have been wrong, but at least it's getting fixed.

Just as a reference for others that may stumble upon this thread in the future: a bit of googling turned up that loss of the 40 amp ignition relay also exhibits these symptoms.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah. I checked out the relay before taking it to the shop & it was fine.

My Dad came over & he was under the truck with a hammer & me turning the key. A few taps got it to loosen it up & start. Headed straight for the shop to get it fixed.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
bighaas79

I just replaced the starter in my 02 a couple months ago. Wife ran to service station to fill the tank came home, the truck was off about 10 min. loaded family up to leave and nothing. tapped on starter and it took off. Since I had the whole family didn't want to take the risk of gettin us stranded so i shut it off to see if it would start again, and that was all she wrote. Not even tapping the starter worked. So ya they will just quit working all of a sudden. Never had one hint of an issue before that.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
TexasSteve

I'm sure they can, just never had one die without any warning before. And I'm 42 yrs old, so this isn't my first rodeo nor inexperienced in vehicles. But there is always stuff left to learn.