The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2021, 07:24 PM   #26
kev2809
low n' slo

Re: Easy way to remove motor and trans from donor?

figured I'd post in this thread since I had a few people checking in.....huge disappointment tonight

figured I would drain the oil before pulling the trans off.....
Attached Images

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:44 PM   #27
kev2809
low n' slo

drive side valve cover
Attached Images

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 09-29-2021, 07:55 PM   #28
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
I'm getting ready to post this donor for sale but I'm having trouble getting the tac wiring out. I have the pedal pulled and tac module but I do t see how the wiring harness comes out and what's supposed to get cut. any help?
You would have to cut both ends of the TAC wiring harness to get it out of a 2001. The easier solution is to get a harness out of a 2003 truck since they're a separate harness. Otherwise, just splice the wires back together to fit your application.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:56 PM   #29
ls1nova71

Quote:
drive side valve cover
This is why I always pull a valve cover before buying an engine. Did you drive this truck?

Old 09-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #30
mongocanfly
Post Whore

oh man..!!!!...that sure sucks..!!!!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #31
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
This is why I always pull a valve cover before buying an engine. Did you drive this truck?
yup drove it home about 10 miles ran pretty good actually...just was overheating but I figured it was either these notorious clusters or the radiator or thermostat. I don't really know where to go from here. I was really hoping not to rebuild...I heard water in the oil can spin the bearings but tbh I don't even know how to look for that lol

no smoke either and it sounded pretty good imo.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 09-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #32
LS short box

What a bummer. Was the truck in a flood? That's a lot of water. I suspect it can be saved but it will need to be a complete tear down and rebuild. Need to check for cracks in the cylinders and heads. I would pull the pan on the trans.
Still a bummer but you can build it back better. Lots of used stuff over on LS1tech.com.
I had something similar happen to me. Bought a "low mileage" (40,000) LS1 engine and 4L60E trans many years ago. Pulled the pan and front cover to just check stuff. Shiny chunks in the pan and a very loose timing chain. Took it to engine shop and it wasn't pretty. More like 240,000 miles. Put in good rods and pistons. New bearings. Small cam. The block and heads were sound. Heads got a slight port job along with a valve job. Its been in my 98 Wrangler for 13 years. It runs great.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:33 PM   #33
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
What a bummer. Was the truck in a flood? That's a lot of water. I suspect it can be saved but it will need to be a complete tear down and rebuild. Need to check for cracks in the cylinders and heads. I would pull the pan on the trans.
Still a bummer but you can build it back better. Lots of used stuff over on LS1tech.com.
I had something similar happen to me. Bought a "low mileage" (40,000) LS1 engine and 4L60E trans many years ago. Pulled the pan and front cover to just check stuff. Shiny chunks in the pan and a very loose timing chain. Took it to engine shop and it wasn't pretty. More like 240,000 miles. Put in good rods and pistons. New bearings. Small cam. The block and heads were sound. Heads got a slight port job along with a valve job. Its been in my 98 Wrangler for 13 years. It runs great.
well the clock on this one was about 230k. supposedly was a mechanics truck but damn lol I got it from my buddy's auction he's a wrecker driver and pulled it in and the guy never got it. that's why I figured everything was good with it. I bought it last November and brought it home...only cranked it like twice the whole time it was here before pulling it in the driveway last week to pull it.

I'm going pull the heads tomorrow and see what I can find. guess it's hard to tell with out the heads pulled and oil pan off. I'm hoping it's just a blown head gasket.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 09-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #34
Davidf

I have down this road just recently. Engine in my donor ran good when I test drove it. Drained oil and globs came out...uh oh, coolant and oil mix...probably means cracked cylinder head. Pull valve cover and man was it dirty with baked oil. Pulled heads and they passed pressure test. Cleaned engine best I could, replaced oil pump, resealed entire engine.

After my LS swap was complete, the engine started right up and sounded great, but it immediately left a puddle of oil under the rear main...damn, I messed that seal up. new seal and same results...turned out the crank was moving radially due to worn out main bearing. So, I bailed and bought an engine from a salvage yard. Used my boroscope to look inside the engine to ensure spotlessly clean. 2nd engine is great!

So, maybe don't waste your time on the engine you have and get a better one. I got my 5.3L from the salvage yard for $425.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:17 PM   #35
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
I have down this road just recently. Engine in my donor ran good when I test drove it. Drained oil and globs came out...uh oh, coolant and oil mix...probably means cracked cylinder head. Pull valve cover and man was it dirty with baked oil. Pulled heads and they passed pressure test. Cleaned engine best I could, replaced oil pump, resealed entire engine.

After my LS swap was complete, the engine started right up and sounded great, but it immediately left a puddle of oil under the rear main...damn, I messed that seal up. new seal and same results...turned out the crank was moving radially due to worn out main bearing. So, I bailed and bought an engine from a salvage yard. Used my boroscope to look inside the engine to ensure spotlessly clean. 2nd engine is great!

So, maybe don't waste your time on the engine you have and get a better one. I got my 5.3L from the salvage yard for $425.
yup I thought getting the whole truck running was a better idea lol. I called my buddy up yesterday that I got it from and he said he has a 2002 tahoe I can swap it for. this one looks immaculate on the inside (was wrecked in the front). engine looks great too and waaaaay cleaner than this one. going back later to run some cables to the battery to turn the key to check the mileage. already posted this one for sale on craigslist

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 10-05-2021, 11:05 PM   #36
Gregski
Post Whore

I recall years ago I went to Pick N Pull by myself to pull my first engine, I was planning to call my buddies to come help me later on, I got there and picked a Tahoe in the middle of 5 fresh new cars, two on one side and two on the other, the time was 9 am

a crew of 3 guys showed up next to me, they knew what they were doing, by 11 am I had everything loosened up ready for extraction, meanwhile these guys were yanking their fourth motor and transmission combo, no joke, no lie

this is how they did it, one guy went from the top in the engine bay and cut all the belts and hoses and disconnected the wiring harness the second guy went under the trucks and disconnected the driveshaft and the transmission crossmember etc, the third had a saws all and literally cut the front subframe off the trucks on either side and the whole front clip came crashing forward, and then they hoisted the engines out of the carcasses, in California they cut out the catalytic converters so the exhaust was already taken care of and cut off
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:00 AM   #37
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
I recall years ago I went to Pick N Pull by myself to pull my first engine, I was planning to call my buddies to come help me later on, I got there and picked a Tahoe in the middle of 5 fresh new cars, two on one side and two on the other, the time was 9 am

a crew of 3 guys showed up next to me, they knew what they were doing, by 11 am I had everything loosened up ready for extraction, meanwhile these guys were yanking their fourth motor and transmission combo, no joke, no lie

this is how they did it, one guy went from the top in the engine bay and cut all the belts and hoses and disconnected the wiring harness the second guy went under the trucks and disconnected the driveshaft and the transmission crossmember etc, the third had a saws all and literally cut the front subframe off the trucks on either side and the whole front clip came crashing forward, and then they hoisted the engines out of the carcasses, in California they cut out the catalytic converters so the exhaust was already taken care of and cut off
u know, I just watched a guy on YouTube do the same thing...cut the whole frame behind the motor. I mean, I guess it saves u a few minutes but I don't see why people do that

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 10-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #38
ls1nova71

They have been sawing the frames around here for a long time. Occasionally they saw the fenders and all....😬
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #39
kev2809
low n' slo

I guess because I'm green in the junkyards...seems that's where it's common. which I get it cut that thing in half and load it

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 10-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #40
bigmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I really despise removing the engines out of the 4x4 ones. There is little to no room to get the bell housing bolts out. This especially sucks doing it in a pick n pull.
I pulled motor only from a 4x4 Yukon. I ended up cutting the tunnel in order to get at the bell housing bolts.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #41
bigmoe

Quote:
I'm getting ready to post this donor for sale but I'm having trouble getting the tac wiring out. I have the pedal pulled and tac module but I do t see how the wiring harness comes out and what's supposed to get cut. any help?
The wires from the tac to the pedal are impossible to remove in one piece (from an '08 at least). Get as much wire as you can and cut it. It can be lengthened and rejoined.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote