The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #26
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Re: Flip a Blazer?

Opinions are like A#%$*&es, everybody’s got one. So here’s mine. I like your idea for a basic 350 with a serpentine belt and TBI, I think that would be the way to go.
700R4 tranny
4:10 (possibly 3:73s) in stock ˝ ton axels
33 inch A/Ts
4inch spring lift – or go with a longer rear spring from a newer model and shackle flip for a smooth ride.
A/C would be beneficial in my part of the country but not a necessity.
Newer model seats with a basically stock dash and door panels
It’s a tossup on carpet or rubber mats, the carpet is so hard to keep clean if you do ANYTHING off the pavement. I.e. the river, the lake, the beach, dirt roads, etc.
I would stick with a basic but bright color like a red or blue.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #27
70rs/ss

I think mostly stock in appearance with the $$$ spent in the right places is what makes or breaks a sale! If I want a knarly wheeler, I won't look at anything stock unless it is dirt cheap and or gutted then I'll use the carcass. If looking for a driver, fun truck a beater isn't it either. If a nice Blazer with no cut metal, nothing crazy in tire lift range, but a nice running motor (EFI will give good MPG as well as giving the Appearance of good MPG {most folks understand and realize the benefit of EFI even if an older stock EFI set-up}) OD is the icing on the cake, as the 700r4 has a low first gear, you can kinda get away with a 4.11 and tall tires or a 3:73 and a shorter tire, and still get a .75 OD. This type of Blazer would actually appeal to a lot of folks as a resto nut will see it is essentially stock with upgrades for efficiency and driveability and dependability, while a hard core guy may say wow, that is a great start to a wheeler, just needs axles, etc, etc. This type of build is a very happy medium and would absolutely appeal to a lot of folks!!

I love this idea!! BTW don't discount LT1's as there FI is a bit more modern and tunable than the TBI (throttle body) or even the the other TPI (tuned port inj). So a Throttle body would be the OK choice, Tuned port next and LT1 would be the Highest perf and MPG abaility of the three and is still dirt cheap since everyone has jumped on the LS wagon. I have a 96 LT1 sitting complete with a 4l60e and it isn't worth anything to anyone but me! An iron headed one or even an aluminum headed one with mostly stock cam, etc would be cheap and a rebuild is just like any other SBC, except for the dist, water pump, but machine work wise the labor is the same.

Man, sorry for going on and on, can you tell I have given this some thought for myself in the past!! I had an 05 Yukon XL new (rolled it about 8 months after buying it!) and when it was totalled I was going to buy it back for the drivetrain (actually dreamed about a complete frame {motor/trans/transfer/suspension, etc} basically take the yukon body off the frame and drop a 67-72 Burb on top) for a driver that was stone reliable, comfortable and MPG friendly. An old Burb/truck/blazer with drop dead good looks and styling from the factory, but with all the comforts of a $40k SUV. I will do it someday, but now I am aiming for a 12v Cummins/4X4/ burb with all the inside comforts of new with the power to haul a country and 20-22mpg!!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 07-24-2008 at 05:17 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:30 AM   #28
vtblazer

Appreciate the input guys, thanks.

As it turned out I just found another blazer, so this can get some real consideration.

I see it being a bright color w/33's and a 2.5" lift.
Later model Tahoe seats and carpet.

Going to look for an over drive set up but being I already have two complete tranny/T-case sets, I might decide to use one of them.
One's a th-350 and the other is a th-400, both still complete and both came out of running/driving trucks.

So let the games begin, I'll keep ya posted.

If someone comes across an LT1 let me know please.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #29
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Appreciate the input guys, thanks.

As it turned out I just found another blazer, so this can get some real consideration.

I see it being a bright color w/33's and a 2.5" lift.
Later model Tahoe seats and carpet.

Going to look for an over drive set up but being I already have two complete tranny/T-case sets, I might decide to use one of them.
One's a th-350 and the other is a th-400, both still complete and both came out of running/driving trucks.

So let the games begin, I'll keep ya posted.

If someone comes across an LT1 let me know please.
Where did find this one? Any PICS?

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #30
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Where did find this one? Any PICS?
You beat me to it!

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09

Last edited by Chevyman63; 07-30-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #31
vtblazer

Maybe it's time to start a new thread...
Old 07-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #32
70rs/ss

I have one, but shipping to you from AZ would be tough! On the other hand, we have kicked this around several times, but now let me add up all the deals into one scenario!! You drive to AZ with the single walled top, get here load up my 72 4X4 and I'll toss the LT1 and 4l60 with the wiring and all in for free?! Is the deal getting sweet enough to get you out here?1 I know it is a tough time and fuel prices etc, but I can add some other stuff in to make it worth while?? How about getting you some AZ rust free sheet metal you can take back and make a profit on to help out with fuel costs?! Anyways, i have one if you think the shipping or trip isn't too much/
Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #33
vtblazer

So your willing to trade me your 72 4x4 (I want pics) plus the LT1 with tranny, computer and wiring for the delivery of my single walled top?

That's how it reads in your post, if I read it and understand it correctly, I'm definitely interested.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #34
AJs72K5

Geez! Makes me wanna find a single wall top and take a drive!

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #35
70rs/ss

AH, no, I thought you were kinda interested when I had it for sale but the drive was the issue (still have it), I thought I'd buy the top, sell the Blazer to you (or sell it to you minus the cost fo the top which ever?) and give you the LT1/4l60e to get you out here? I know it's a strtch, but can't hurt to ask, right? The metal parts, i can get lots of rust free stuff to go home with you to sell and make a little $$$ to help with the fuel??

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 07-30-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #36
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
AH, no, I thought you were kinda interested when I had it for sale but the drive was the issue (still have it), I thought I'd buy the top, sell the Blazer to you (or sell it to you minus the cost fo the top which ever?) and give you the LT1/4l60e to get you out here? I know it's a strtch, but can't hurt to ask, right? The metal parts, i can get lots of rust free stuff to go home with you to sell and make a little $$$ to help with the fuel??
Heh heh...okay I got it wrong but whoa, what a deal that woulda been.

Just bought another blazer this morning, sorry but thanks for the great offer anyway.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #37
AJs72K5

So......you're gonna do the flip build and build your driver at the same time??? Dang, I'm impressed.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #38
70rs/ss

I was a bit confused too, but I think this build is the only build and it is a keeper. I might be lost still, but I think this is where he is now??
Old 07-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #39
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJs72K5 View Post
So......you're gonna do the flip build and build your driver at the same time??? Dang, I'm impressed.
Yes, there are two to build now but if it works out, my driver priority.
The driver has been on the table for awhile, the flip was a fun idea I thought I'd bring to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
I was a bit confused too, but I think this build is the only build and it is a keeper. I might be lost still, but I think this is where he is now??
Your on it, sorry for any confusion.
Me, myself and I wonder some days too...