The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #26
blazin

Re: steering problems still.. HELP HELP!!!!

here is a pic of the front end.. maybe someone can tell me if my drag link is on a bad angle... if anything looks wrong.
Attached Images

blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #27
chevyblazer

hi im new in this page y have a little expirience with 4x4 i hade truck that did the same thing my problem was the bolts that go on the frame with the i dont no how to called but its that piece of metal that goes across whre the sterreng box is sometimes they lossen,but to looke at it someone haves to move the sterreng so you can look at it sorry for the bad letter i dont speek that mouch inglish post me back

Last edited by chevyblazer; 05-15-2010 at 12:05 AM.
chevyblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #28
chevyblazer

now that i looked at the picture i think the problem is the sterring arm it needs to be like 2 INCHES HIGHER OR THE LINKGED HAVES TO BE LIKE SIGSAG OR SOMETING LIKE THAT,OR TO GHET OUT OF TROUBLE YOU PUT A 2 WHEEL DRIVE STERRING BOX AND PUT THE LINKGED ACROOS LIKE THE SUPER DUTYS FORDS

Last edited by chevyblazer; 05-15-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #29
blazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyblazer View Post
now that i looked at the picture i think the problem is the sterring arm it needs to be like 2 INCHES HIGHER OR THE LINKGED HAVES TO BE LIKE SIGSAG OR SOMETING LIKE THAT,OR TO GHET OUT OF TROUBLE YOU PUT A 2 WHEEL DRIVE STERRING BOX AND PUT THE LINKGED ACROOS LIKE THE SUPER DUTYS FORDS
the steering arm is raised 6 inches.. came with the lift kit.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #30
chevyblazer

you sholud change the sterring box
Old 05-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #31
chevyblazer

chenge the sterring box and pu a 2 wheel drive with the linkegd across like the ford super duty

Last edited by chevyblazer; 05-15-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #32
bigbadchev72
People know me

you have too much angle in your draglink, it should be flat, or very close to flat. I have a 6" lift on my truck and have the dropped pitman arm, and the raised steering arm. Dont wast your money on the S shaped draglink, they are junk, the tierod ends on them wear out super fast and are around $60 each to replace. All you will need is a dropped pitman arm like the one below.

http://www.jackit.com/store/supercart.cgi?s=skj_ca50

I dont have any shims under my springs in the truck, but i do have them on the blazer.

Have you checked around the steering box for cracks, you really need to pull it off the frame to inspect it good around the bolt holes in the frame. It is also a good time to trhough in a steering box brace. It really siffens up the front end feel. you would be suprised how much stress and twisting the frame takes around the steering box.
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels

Last edited by bigbadchev72; 05-15-2010 at 12:42 AM.
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #33
blazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyblazer View Post
you sholud change the sterring box
it has a new steering box
Old 05-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #34
blazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadchev72 View Post
you have too much angle in your draglink, it should be flat, or very close to flat. I have a 6" lift on my truck and have the dropped pitman arm, and the raised steering arm. Dont wast your money on the S shaped draglink, they are junk, the tierod ends on them wear out super fast and are around $60 each to replace. All you will need is a dropped pitman arm like the one below.

I dont have any shims under my springs in the truck, but i do have them on the blazer.

Have you checked around the steering box for cracks, you really need to pull it off the frame to inspect it good around the bolt holes in the frame. It is also a good time to trhough in a steering box brace. It really siffens up the front end feel. you would be suprised how much stress and twisting the frame takes around the steering box.

thanx for the tips bigbadchevy.. i will order a new dropped pitman arm and see how that works. i'll look for a brace aswell. hope this works. cheers
Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 AM   #35
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin View Post
it has a new steering box
he's talking about going with a crossover steering setup, that will cost you even more money though...

I'd do the dropped arm as stated... not much else left to replace it sounds like..
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #36
blazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadchev72 View Post

do you have any pictures of what the angle should look like? whats your setup in your blazer?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #37
1tonblaze

the alignment shop should have a book that goes that far back with specs and some hunter machines have those specs in them . I have a spec book at work in my tool box that goes back that far . is the axle shifting from side to side ? look at the bushings where the shackel goes threw the frame in the front these are known to wear out plus them being almost 40 years old i am pretty sure they are not in the best shape i up graded mine with a set from off road designs with a bigger bushing . also have them check the thust angle because this could cause this issuse
1985 c20 chevy long bed , beater , on its way to a better place in pa from what the dmv told me
2010 kia forte koup 2.4 sx -over the river and threw the woods to the total lot it went .
1999 k1500 suburban 350 vortec 4l60e leather land yacht .
1tonblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #38
blazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonblaze View Post
the alignment shop should have a book that goes that far back with specs and some hunter machines have those specs in them . I have a spec book at work in my tool box that goes back that far . is the axle shifting from side to side ? look at the bushings where the shackel goes threw the frame in the front these are known to wear out plus them being almost 40 years old i am pretty sure they are not in the best shape i up graded mine with a set from off road designs with a bigger bushing . also have them check the thust angle because this could cause this issuse
i put new bushing where the shackel goes throught the frame, when i did the lift. if the thust angle is out i must have a twisted frame?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #39
jamie72

have you checked the u bolts on the axles, to make sure ther still tight? after a few miles they need to be retighten,as they might be flexing as you steer? just a thought..

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #40
1tonblaze

I have the same steering arm as you on my front axle . I would do the drop pitman arm as that angle does look alittle funny to me . my next up grade on my dana 44 is going to be the cross over steering with the high steer arms since i am going to be runing a 36 or 345/75/16 tire on my rig .
1985 c20 chevy long bed , beater , on its way to a better place in pa from what the dmv told me
2010 kia forte koup 2.4 sx -over the river and threw the woods to the total lot it went .
1999 k1500 suburban 350 vortec 4l60e leather land yacht .
1tonblaze is offline   Reply With Quote