The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #26
Erik V

Re: Just bought my first Blazer!!! 1970...any thoughts on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncytruck View Post
I'd guess you're about right on the lift. I've owned 3 now. The first had 4" lift and 35's, second 6" lift and 35's and my current has a 4" lift and approx 31.5" skinny tires.

If you go with bigger tires, you may need to regear and/or go with some heavier duty axles. Then you may need to address stopping power too. If I were you, I'd drive it for a while, fix the things that need to function daily (like the missing button on the driver door handle) before adding bigger tires, more lift, etc.
Offtopic, but my passenger side button has been "missing" for years...and by years I mean over 30...and by missing I mean "hiding inside the door in the bottom". Truck still functions fine, but the girlfriend's short fingers dont allow her access to the passenger seat-unless I chivalrously open the door for her.

Erik
Erik V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #27
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Well your truck looks nice. Glad you were able to find another one. I would put up a post about having another local member go over and pay a visit to the seller of the first truck....

I would aslo start a build thread to keep track of your progress. Take lots of pictures so you can see it progress as you make changes.

Check craigslist for parts. Alot of the truck parts will fit the Blazer, including bumpers....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #28
Martyeth23

Thanks for the advice guys, yeah my girlfriend has had the same problem with the missing buttons lol! The truck really is in descent shape and i have seen some of the builds on here that have just been incredible!!! I'm sure eveyone has seen it but i checked out BLUE THUNDER's build, just awesome! There is still a ton of things i want to do to my new blazer so i might start a little build thread too, I know i want to put in new seats, have it sanded and painted...I'm thinking some shade of blue, upgrade the stereo system, cut a big portion off the roll bar past the bak of the drivers seat, get rid of the fuel cell and go back to a regular gas tank, get the entire inside rhino lined and then new carpet as it has none right now, maybe a new steering wheel and add emblems and new signal lights, and go back to the factory style chrome bumpers, i was wanting a few opinions on that part though, everyone keeps telling to me to keep the black steel bumper in the back and the huge (way to big in my opinion) cattle guard in the front, i know its all a matter of preference on the bumpers but some opinions would be a big help. I was also considering putting in new replacement front headlights with HID bulbs but cant decide, i love the way they look on my regular trucks but cant decide if they would be a cool addition to the blazer or if they would just look too out of place on a classic vehicle...i think i'm getting to that point where its about to be time to decide how far i want to venture away from the classic look and parts to a newer looking style truck ...and having trouble doing so...i love the fact its a classic and that its old and so simple compared to newer vehicles but at the same time after having owned and built up so many other modern trucks with lifts, expensive wheels and tires HID's and LED's and big stereos i find im fighting the urge to go way overboard on this project too...i guess a little at a time and my budget should help keep me in check as well
Martyeth23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #29
tubbedII
needs more $$$

My opinion on the bumpers is to ditch the ones you have currently. I'm a fan of big black beefy bumpers on lifted rigs and all, but not the round bar type you currently have...just a little outdated. Your cheapest bet would be going to a set of sport (stock chrome) bumpers all around, but if you plan on doing some heavy wheelin with the rig they won't provide any protection...but you'd look damn good doin it! Haha...

Going overboard is REALLY easy with any project so it's good idea to start a written plan taking care of the necessities 1st, but the important part is sticking to it. A safe/functional rig is more important than one that booms and shines bright, and a rig that's running is more fun that one that's in pieces in the garage (trust me on the pieces in the garage part...it's been over a year since I've been able to drive mine and I was just supposed to slap on some air bags).
Old 12-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #30
Erik V

my stock front bumper has the rollers for a PTO winch (currently not installed) built into it, the box that holds the winch bolts in between the framerails, and has 1/2" plate that fit snugly inside the chrome bumper all the way out to the end bolts (the factory diagonal support brackets are long gone). Dad did this in order to be able to wheel and race my truck when it was new, and keep the chrome bumper alive. It shows its age today, but I like the fact its so stout.

I agree, ditch the pipe bumpers, if anything build a modern prerunner style smaller tubular setup...thats my plan if I finally decide to permanently leave the PTO winch out.

Erik

edit: I was hoping that pic showed better how the plate works, but it just kinda looks stock minus a bolt per side. The driver front corner of the bumper is forwards a bit because when backing up while offroading ages ago, the edge snagged something and tweaked it. I'll get better pics of the bumper reinforcement if you want me to.
Erik V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #31
spenceman72

Sweet ride man, looks like a beast. I too am a new Blazer owner with zero prior mechanical experience. However, I have two bits of advice I think everyone on this forum would agree with;
1. Go TOPLESS as quickly as you can! I had the my top on for the first 2 months and off the last two....these Blazers with the tops off are not just a total blast to drive, but you'd think you were driving around in a Lamborghini with the looks and thumbs ups you'll get driving around town. Great thing for us here in Texas is we can go topless nearly year round.
2. Don't be afraid to jump into the projects you mentioned all by yourself. I've replace my alternator, break booster, starter, front wiring harness, water pump pulley, distributor and intake/valve cover gaskets. Prior to owning this Blazer my mechanical experience consisted of changing oil in an old S10 back in school..that's it. I've found that this forum holds the answers to virtually every question you could have and the members are very eager to help. This plus YouTube and other classic car sites, an original shop manual, lots and lots of patience and determination, and a steadfast determination to stick with it and have fun and I think you will be very happy with your purchase. Oh yeah, hopefully you have an autoparts store nearby and room in the garage for all the tools you'll be buying!
When you get that top off could you post a few pics of the roll cage? I'm thinking about getting the family style cage you've got.
Posted via Mobile Device
spenceman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #32
Martyeth23

Yeah I'll throw up a few pics of it already pulled the top off last week, I'm gonna be pulling out the whole roll cage in about 3 weeks if you are looking to pick one up super cheap
Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #33
mrchevy1972

Welcome to the beging of the sickness or should I say club. You are about to have fun . A little advice plan and think out what direction you want to go with your blazer. There are so many options
Posted via Mobile Device
1959 stepside. 468 700r4
01 suburban 8.1
mrchevy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #34
RLONG

Here is a couple of pics my blazer has 6" rancho lift with 39.5x15 my jimmy has 4" lift with 35" just to give you an idea.
Attached Images

RLONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #35
jaros44sr

Sorry to hijack your thread, but...

I didnt know that brown was available in '72, my father gave me a '75 in that brown and i always liked it. Now, i think i finally found a paint color. Does that brown have a small flake in it, metallic? Just dont see that color very often

Hijack off!...

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #36
Martyeth23

Wow!!! What an awesome Blazer!!! I was thinking of keeping the 15 inch wheels i have now but going up to 39.5x13.5 tires or 38x14.5, yours looks awesome with the 39's what else did you have to do to get them to fit? fender trimming or an extra body lift? I'm told from what it looks like i have a 3 inch body lift and 4 inch suspension lift, the front fenders have already been trimmed a bit so I'm curious to see what will fit without any extra lift or additional cutting....I was told to stick with the 15in wheel because once you go up past that the backspacing increases and they may not clear the tie rods...i sort of understood the explanation but was wondering if anyone could elaborate a bit as i've seen a lot with 15in+ wheels, is that just being done with wheel spacers i was told to steer way way clear of that route...
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #37
Martyeth23

So just to update those that were interested, I finally got a full refund on the Blazer I attempted to purchase in California. The guy Jose Perez came through and refunded apperently he had a ton of trouble with paypal(believe me i experienced an amazing amount myself) When all was said and done he turned out to be an honest guy and lived up to his word. The posting of his Blazer on Craigslist that appears in this thread seems far more legit to me now! So if anyone out in Cali is looking I know he is still looking to sell locally. Just wanted to caution others still on using paypal for any such similar transactions on large dollar items thet are an absolute nightmare! And here are a few topless pics for spenceman72
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #38
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyeth23 View Post
And here are a few topless pics for spenceman72
Glad you got that worked out! Looks like the pics didn't post though...
Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #39
RLONG

The brown is not origanal use to be metallic tan think sandstone. The blazer the front horns on front fender trimed.
RLONG is offline   Reply With Quote