The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

I made a decision after a couple days of trying to figure out how I was going to modify the spare tire mount. In the end possibly obtained a lucky charm for the shop, I can always use some luck as everyone can.

Picked up some ¼ inch steel plate and cut out a 6-1/2 inch DIA. circle on the band saw. Drilled the ½ inch DIA. holes for the 5 lug x 5 inch DIA. wheel pattern and press in the NAPA 641-1102 wheel bolts.

Before removing the original mounting plate from the frame drilled a wheel center hole in the plate and then welded in a support bar with a corresponding centering hole to locate the new mounting plate.

Name:  Spare-Tire-Mount.jpg
Views: 13475
Size:  85.0 KB

Not wanting the spare tire to break off the mount and pass me on the road (that would be embarrassing) I took the mount down to a professional welder with a big enough welder to weld the new thicker mounting plate on. I also added a mounting plate to the top of the spare tire mount to install the CB antenna to (CB antenna is on order and should be in within a few days). All that’s left to do is drill the antenna mounting holes, clean up the mount and send it off to the powder coater for a black finish.

Name:  Spare-Tire-Mount-2.jpg
Views: 11739
Size:  86.2 KB

The ¼ plate that I picked up for the mounting plate was in a larger circle and after cutting out the new mount I ended up with a horse shoe shape. History says that to hang a blacksmiths horse shoe above your door will bring luck to your shop. Yes the debate goes on as to how to hang it facing up or down (I definitely do not know the answer) but being a modern-day metal worker/blacksmith decided to hang it above my shop door to bring luck to my shop.

Name:  Horse-Shue.jpg
Views: 11591
Size:  46.5 KB

May the luck of the blacksmiths horse shoe be with you in your shop on your build

Last edited by Bruce88; 03-14-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Bruce88 is offline   Reply With Quote