The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
64stpside

Does a 64 C10 have an acc ignition position?

Hey guys,
Finally got the vortec 350 i rebuilt put in my 64 C10. Had to use an electric fuel pump. I'm using a fuel pump oil pressure safety switch with relay in the fuel pump circuit as well. I used this for the wiring diagram:
https://www.tanksinc.com/pdf/fuel_pu...structions.pdf

In light of cold weather approaching, I don't want to have to crank the engine a lot to try to build oil pressure to activate the fuel pump in case I don't get it started with what's in the carb's fuel bowls. I want to have the ability to prime the carb with a switch. I was gonna use a momentary toggle switch going from the battery to the pump as a way to bypass the oil safety switch during startup. Does the factory ignition switch have an accessory position? I read where a guy did that on an old car (can't remember what it was). That's how he got around having to use a toggle switch. He said he turned the ignition switch to the acc position for a few seconds to prime the carb before starting it.

I'm leaning to this being my answer but want to make sure, this is from a post on the tri-five forum:

"Yes, you are confusing the "accessory position" on the switch with the "accessory terminal" on the switch.

The "accessory position is where there's power to the accessories but no power to the ignition. On most switches that have it, you turn the key CCW from the off position. But a 55-57 stock switch doesn't have that position.

Bottom line is that with a 55-57 stock ignition switch you only have accessory power when the switch is in the on position, and you have ignition power then too."

If this is the case with a stk 64c10 ignition switch, does anyone make one with the added accessory setting?
64stpside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Does a 64 C10 have an acc ignition position?

Acc is left, Ign On first click right. When cranking it over for fuel and/or oil only. I disconnected my coil wire (from the ignition to coil itself) during this phase. I never use ign on (right) click unless I plan to start it.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote