The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2023, 12:01 AM   #1
DBear

Rear Disc Brake Conversion ??

Looking to possibly do a rear disc brake conversion on my 71 K10 Burb 4x4. Right now, it had the factory front disc/ rear drum set-up. I am doing a LS swap, and adding a hydro-boost system as well. Can anyone give me the pros and cons on adding rear disc brakes? Is it worth it? I know disc brakes are easier to service, but beyond that, what or how much is benefited? Thank you in advance.
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:36 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
Looking to possibly do a rear disc brake conversion on my 71 K10 Burb 4x4. Right now, it had the factory front disc/ rear drum set-up. I am doing a LS swap, and adding a hydro-boost system as well. Can anyone give me the pros and cons on adding rear disc brakes? Is it worth it? I know disc brakes are easier to service, but beyond that, what or how much is benefited? Thank you in advance.

Hi Tommy,

It's a little slow around here on the weekends....

Here are a couple of threads for you to read through.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=214225

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=180846

The are older threads but still some good thoughts in them.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:51 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

What are your plans for the Burban? That may the deciding factor for you.

Are you planning on towing?

One of the benefits of disc brakes is they are more resistant to fading under constant use like when going down long steep slopes.

Another benefit of disc brakes is (especially for aftermarket ones) is the larger variety of pad compositions available. This allows you to better tune the brake effectiveness to help prevent locking the rear brakes up in panic situations. Proper pad selection along with an adjustable bias valve to compensate for the load carried can make your truck stop better. (There is no reason you couldn't install a bias valve in a drum brake system.)

As the threads Doc posted say you can also up size your rear drums too. This is a good way to get a better emergency brake set up. Many rear disc emergency brake set ups are ineffective outside of being a parking brake on level ground.

Better parking brakes can be nice when towing with a manual transmission and or when your out four wheeling and end up damaging the brakes lines and have to limp back with only the emergency brake.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:08 PM   #4
DBear

Upgrading to the larger drums might be a good choice. Not sure how much towing, but mostly traveling and some light trailing for sure.

If I did upgrade to larger drums, what years would I need parts off of, and what parts specifically? Probably would buy new fresh drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
What are your plans for the Burban? That may the deciding factor for you.

Are you planning on towing?

One of the benefits of disc brakes is they are more resistant to fading under constant use like when going down long steep slopes.

Another benefit of disc brakes is (especially for aftermarket ones) is the larger variety of pad compositions available. This allows you to better tune the brake effectiveness to help prevent locking the rear brakes up in panic situations. Proper pad selection along with an adjustable bias valve to compensate for the load carried can make your truck stop better. (There is no reason you couldn't install a bias valve in a drum brake system.)

As the threads Doc posted say you can also up size your rear drums too. This is a good way to get a better emergency brake set up. Many rear disc emergency brake set ups are ineffective outside of being a parking brake on level ground.

Better parking brakes can be nice when towing with a manual transmission and or when your out four wheeling and end up damaging the brakes lines and have to limp back with only the emergency brake.
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:48 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

I believe that all 73-87 C10's or G10's with the Heavy Half option (GVW 5600 to 6000) will have the 11x2.75 brakes.

You would want the backing plates and all the associated parts attached to them. I believe your existing emergency brake cables should work with the larger brakes.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote