The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
gdavis

Re: Crash's 72 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Decided to bring my engine lift back to the shop and test fit the cab before I finish up the body work on it.

I had a couple of problems. The transmission lines I hand built need to be modified at the transmission area. Also the front of the cab needed to be raised a little to get the front fender to line up correctly.

I installed the old rusty inner fenders and started looking at how I was going to mount the computer and wiring. I originally was going to mount the computer, fuse block, wiring, relays, and wiring terminals on the driver’s side inner fender, then I considered mounting it all under the dash, now I am back to mounting it all on the inner fender again.. Thoughts from you guys?

I also started looking at the AC lines. I am not completely happy with where I mounted the bulkhead connector, but I think I can make it look ok.. I just need to figure out how to route the lines.

I am considering buying new doors and inner fenders. I think GMCPaul sells a door that fits somewhat well out of the box. The only problem is shipping. I am planning on buy a cowl hood when I get the doors and maybe the inner fenders. LMC and others have free shipping on orders over $1000 dollars; my understanding is that GMCPaul does not. I guess I will give them a call and see what they can do..

Anyone have opinions on repo doors? How about the hood and the inner fenders, anything I should know about those?

I also want to wish my Dad a Happy Fathers Day…. Love you dad…
your cab looks like it is brand new. You did great work I hope that mine will liik that good. Happy building. gdavis
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
your cab looks like it is brand new. You did great work I hope that mine will liik that good. Happy building. gdavis

Thanks gdavis... I would bet yours would turn out even better.

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice! It looks like the cab fits like a glove. It must have felt like a huge accomplishment to have all those parts mounted up. At least there is light at the end of the tunnel. Can't wait to get my cab painted and back on for good.

Did you consider mounting the computer behind the engine like 68 short step does on his builds? It will get the computer out of sight. Not sure about your clearence?
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very nice! It looks like the cab fits like a glove. It must have felt like a huge accomplishment to have all those parts mounted up. At least there is light at the end of the tunnel. Can't wait to get my cab painted and back on for good.

Did you consider mounting the computer behind the engine like 68 short step does on his builds? It will get the computer out of sight. Not sure about your clearence?
Thanks Mike.. I still have a lot of work to do. I have thought about behind the engine, but there does not appear to be enough room. I think I can mount it all on the fender well and make it look decent. It is just an old farm truck you know...

When you painting yours?

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
67c10rustbuket

Congrats on the cab work Mark! you did an awesome job on the rust removal and finally won the battle. You worked like a machine on that and make me feel lazy at times, but in a motivational way .

If I remember correctly GMC pauls carries Tri Plus/key parts body panels which you can buy in person at classic auto located at 89th and I35 (moore/OKC border) so no shipping there. i have a fender from there but I only test fitted it before tear down and all my panels where pretty off as far as alignment goes. Maybe call GMC pauls and Classic and ask them which brand steel parts they are using but I am pretty sure both sell Tri plus.

For inner fenders a friend at work bought his for a 72 from certi fit in okc, they are lower quality panels but he said they fit great and they are only like $59 each. He also bought his fenders there and they look good and line up pretty nice but they are thinner than tri plus versions.

also with these Oklahoma stores you can actually return stuff if you are unhappy with the fit.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Congrats on the cab work Mark! you did an awesome job on the rust removal and finally won the battle. You worked like a machine on that and make me feel lazy at times, but in a motivational way .

If I remember correctly GMC pauls carries Tri Plus/key parts body panels which you can buy in person at classic auto located at 89th and I35 (moore/OKC border) so no shipping there. i have a fender from there but I only test fitted it before tear down and all my panels where pretty off as far as alignment goes. Maybe call GMC pauls and Classic and ask them which brand steel parts they are using but I am pretty sure both sell Tri plus.

For inner fenders a friend at work bought his for a 72 from certi fit in okc, they are lower quality panels but he said they fit great and they are only like $59 each. He also bought his fenders there and they look good and line up pretty nice but they are thinner than tri plus versions.

also with these Oklahoma stores you can actually return stuff if you are unhappy with the fit.

Thanks for the comments and the leads on the body parts... I still may go with the GMCPauls doors... but I will call Classic first...
Once again thanks...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Crash_OK

Another slow progress weekend.. Too hot and too close to the water..

I finally decided to mount the computer under the dash instead of on the driver’s side fender well.

Cutting a hole in the area I just patched and primered was a little tough. But better now than later...

I am going to build a bracket to mount the relays, CB, and TAC that attached to the bolt that hold the brake and steering column bracket to the firewall.

I think I will also order some doors from GMCPaul tomorrow…

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 07-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
bchaney

very nice job looks great
bchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
c10327

Very nice work , I am doing a 70 c10 that's taking alot of my time , but being a mechanic an body guy for over 25 years I want to do it right the first time . I'm getting close to paint , hats off to you ... should be a Great truck when done
c10327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10327 View Post
Very nice work , I am doing a 70 c10 that's taking alot of my time , but being a mechanic an body guy for over 25 years I want to do it right the first time . I'm getting close to paint , hats off to you ... should be a Great truck when done
You are a rare breed both mechanc and Body Guy.. I don't see how the body guys/gals do it.. it takes so long...

Good luck with your build

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaney View Post
very nice job looks great

Thank you...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Crash_OK

This weekend (Sunday morning.. spent all day Saturday on the beach with family and friends) I worked on a mounting plate to attach some of the wiring components needed for the LSX swap. Also, created a plate that bolts to the brake pedal support. I then created a plate to attach the new fuse box to.

Ordered doors and Cowl Hood from GMCPauls Friday.. Hopefully they will get here this week so that I can test fit the doors and Hood next weekend…

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
trashmanryan

Crash_ok...I love this build!
Posted via Mobile Device
trashmanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice progress Mark! I'm glad you're figuring out all the wiring mods. That way when I get ready to mine, you can walk me through it
Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
msgross

nice build...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
70K10Hunter

WOW I have been watching/reading your build thread, nice work and fast too,I like the modern engine and trans use. I have a 70K10 Lwb that I will be building as soon as I get done with a few other projects . I have decided after following your build that I too will use a modern powertrain setup. Everything looks great. I have a question or two if you don't mind? the trans you are using is a 4 speed correct? next are you planning on using the stock column? it is setup for a 3 speed trans. I went to to Costco today and was thinking about that as I drive an 08 Z71 silverado 4X4 with the same trans I think and I just got to thinking!!
keep up the good work.
70K10Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
Gene

Very, very nice job! Cool to see another okie building a SWB 4x4!

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #18
quadzero

Very nicely done wip. Great scores on the sand blaster and press. Nice to see this rig coming back to life again and all the faults being corrected like that crooked crossmember. Golf cart looks very sharp too btw.
quadzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice work on the wiring and mounts. I like what you have going Mark. Keep the updates coming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanryan View Post
Crash_ok...I love this build!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Ryan…

Quote:
Very nice progress Mark! I'm glad you're figuring out all the wiring mods. That way when I get ready to mine, you can walk me through it
Thanks Mike, you know I have you covered.. Looking forward to seeing more progress on yours when the time is right….

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
nice build...
Thanks…

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70K10Hunter View Post
WOW I have been watching/reading your build thread, nice work and fast too,I like the modern engine and trans use. I have a 70K10 Lwb that I will be building as soon as I get done with a few other projects . I have decided after following your build that I too will use a modern powertrain setup. Everything looks great. I have a question or two if you don't mind? the trans you are using is a 4 speed correct? next are you planning on using the stock column? it is setup for a 3 speed trans. I went to to Costco today and was thinking about that as I drive an 08 Z71 silverado 4X4 with the same trans I think and I just got to thinking!!
keep up the good work.
I will be using the stock column (looking for a tilt at this time). The 4L60e is a 4 speed; my understanding is that the stock shifter will be able to shift correctly for all the gears. I believe you can even buy a 4 speed shift indicator for the stock column..
Good luck on your build…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Very, very nice job! Cool to see another okie building a SWB 4x4!
Gene, I just read your build, I love the paint job and the truck is looking great…. Good luck with the rest of your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadzero View Post
Very nicely done wip. Great scores on the sand blaster and press. Nice to see this rig coming back to life again and all the faults being corrected like that crooked crossmember. Golf cart looks very sharp too btw.
Thanks QuadZero..

Quote:
Very nice work on the wiring and mounts. I like what you have going Mark. Keep the updates coming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks again Mike, I hope everything is going well for you.. Have a great day…

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
Crash_OK

No pictures for the work I did this weekend (Sunday). I did re-route the electric fan control wires back into the engine wiring harness and terminated those wires under the dash. I also routed two 10 Gauge power wires from the red battery connection box to under the dash to power the fuse box, relays, and PCM. I spent about 6 hours working on the wiring. My goal is to make sure everything fits on the cab before I do the rest of the body work and paint, just in case I have to do some more welding or drilling to mount the pieces needed. Next week I will install the wiring for the Vintage Air System, Air Conditioning Control, Radio (maybe), gauges, etc. Once everything has been fitted, I will tear it all down, finish the body work, primer, and figure out how to paint this thing.
I would recommend for others to do this test fitting before they paint, I will need to do some welding on the inner firewall to get all of the AC relays and other items mounted without running screws though the firewall missing up all the work I did to shave it.

On a positive note I did get everything re-wired so that I could start the engine again.. this is one of the motivators I use to work in the summer…

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #22
Crash_OK

Time for an update, I took a few days off last week and worked a little on the truck.

First I worked out a method to install the new hood springs on the new hinges.

This seemed to work ok..

Then I worked on the door hinges; broke them down, sand blasted, installed new bushings and hinge pins, and then painted with por15.

After that I test fit the new doors.. There is an issue with the location of the hinge mounting nuts in the doors. The worst one was on the lower section of the passenger door. It appears it is offset ¼ to 3/8 of an inch.

In addition it appears the door window hoop may be too tall on the new doors.. But I have not decided how much yet…

And finally on Sunday I started modifiy the old truck cab wiring harness for the new electronics…

Next week I will build another plate to mount the electronics to for the rest of the relays and modules. This will help me to test and fit my new Dakota Digital Gauge set.

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Last edited by Crash_OK; 07-16-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
That Mud Truck

I really wanna do this to my 72 but the only thing scareing me away is all the wires and electronics....
Thats really the only thing thats holding me back... How hard/easy would it be for someone who doesnt really ever work with wires to redo the wire harness like you did?
Btw your truck looks really nice and im really liking your stands

Posted via Mobile Device
That Mud Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Mud Truck View Post
I really wanna do this to my 72 but the only thing scareing me away is all the wires and electronics....
Thats really the only thing thats holding me back... How hard/easy would it be for someone who doesnt really ever work with wires to redo the wire harness like you did?
Btw your truck looks really nice and im really liking your stands

Posted via Mobile Device
There is a lot of good information on this site and others on how to complete the swap. I enjoying the wiring and mechanical aspect of the swap, and do not think either is that difficult. If you decided to do it, just know that there are good people on this site to help you with any issues you run into..

Good luck and thanks for the comments...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #25
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice progress Mark! Things are really coming together for you.
Posted via Mobile Device