The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2024, 09:56 PM   #1
rhc10

C7 brakes???

Will C7 ZO6 caliper and rotor work on my 68 C10?
Anyone making brackets kits to fit them? All I’ve seen is for C5/C6.

Last edited by rhc10; 03-27-2024 at 10:19 PM.
rhc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:46 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: C7 brakes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc10 View Post
Will C7 ZO6 caliper and rotor work on my 68 C10?
Anyone making brackets kits to fit them? All I’ve seen is for C5/C6.
It could possibly be done as a hybrid assortment of parts just like they're done for various cars (& correctly spec'd wheels).

The main difference between the two is the multi piston 'fixed' caliper vs. the floating variety. But they used a fixed caliper on C6 Z06's so w/the right brackets either type of caliper can work.

I will ask.... Why fixated on C7 only?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:35 PM   #3
rhc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It could possibly be done as a hybrid assortment of parts just like they're done for various cars (& correctly spec'd wheels).

The main difference between the two is the multi piston 'fixed' caliper vs. the floating variety. But they used a fixed caliper on C6 Z06's so w/the right brackets either type of caliper can work.

I will ask.... Why fixated on C7 only?
I just had an opportunity to pick up a set so was looking to see if it would work.
rhc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:58 PM   #4
PbFut

Its a big caliper. It will likely run a fair price for all the other stuff needed. You need to figure out the spacing and required hat and rotor combo. Brackets can be made easy enough. Wheel fitment will be another issue to confirm. Easiest way to get things right is to find a king pin match to your truck. Make a stand and attach to your work bench and have at it. It's actually a fun project, but the deal on the take off calipers was probably the least of the expense. Custom Bracket, Hats, Rotor, adjustable proportioning valve and likely new wheels and tires. Your wallet will be a lot skinnier when complete.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:21 PM   #5
weq92f

A long time ago I purchased a Baer Big Brake upgrade for a Trans Am. The kit was not too expensive and really worked well. Years later, I needed new rotors and the Baer price was CRAZY. With a little research and some effort I learned that the Baer kit was made up of OEM C-5 Corvette parts and so I got pads and rotors for reasonable money.

I would suggest that rather than sourcing and building your own kit from pieces, go and purchase a brake upgrade from one of the non-wilwood vendors...maybe even Baer. This will get you matched and tested component combinations that would likely perform just as well as the stuff you're looking at now.

Here's an example:

https://baer.com/1960-1987-C-10-C10-pickup-GMC-Brakes/

EDIT: Not dissing Wilwood at all, just figure the OP isn't into spending that much.

-Kevin
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:41 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post

A long time ago I purchased a Baer Big Brake upgrade for a Trans Am. The kit was not too expensive and really worked well. Years later, I needed new rotors and the Baer price was CRAZY. With a little research and some effort I learned that the Baer kit was made up of OEM C-5 Corvette parts and so I got pads and rotors for reasonable money.

I would suggest that rather than sourcing and building your own kit from pieces, go and purchase a brake upgrade from one of the non-wilwood vendors...maybe even Baer. This will get you matched and tested component combinations that would likely perform just as well as the stuff you're looking at now.

Here's an example:

https://baer.com/1960-1987-C-10-C10-pickup-GMC-Brakes/

EDIT: Not dissing Wilwood at all, just figure the OP isn't into spending that much.

-Kevin
Those Baer kits are ~$2k. That's not exactly cheap.

I'm guessing rhc10 was trying for the budget approach & yielding the same basic parts @ half that cost.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:46 PM   #7
LS short box

On my 68 C10 I bought the C5 kit from ? But he is or was on this forum. He supplied the modded stock height after market spindles, hubs, bearings and caliper brackets. I bought rebuilt C5 calipers and 13" C5 drilled and slotted rotors. SS flex brake lines.
I was running 20" wheels and I thought the 13" rotors look a little small so I made new caliper brackets that spaced the calipers out another 1/2" and bought 14" ZO6 rotors. The swept area of the 14" rotor and 13" is identical so the C5 brake pads worked fine. Got the caliper cores from Corvetteforums.com C5 parts for sale.
I have the 13" caliper brackets on the shelf. If you think you can use them they are yours for the shipping. I'm in central MN.
I've used the C5 brake stuff on a number of projects and they work well.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote