The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #1
dagnabbitt

Small Block Crate Engine Advice

Hi everyone, I have decided to bite the bullet and spend some money on a crate engine for my 81 SWB. I am not quite ready for an LS swap, and would prefer to just replace the tired old (350? 305?) engine that was in the truck when I bought it. I really did wait until the last minute, the thing has so much blowby that I installed a road draft tube at the end of last summer just so I could get it home. It uses a hilarious amount of oil.

But I digress: I have found a place in my locale that has crate engines for sale and am presently looking at the below 330HP HO. I am pretty certain I will be going with this one... but would like to know what I can expect to spend on it to get it completed. The reason why I am going with the "base" and not the "deluxe" is because I presume that a lot of the parts on the old engine can be transplanted to the new one, but I am wondering what I am getting into with this.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19420873.html

Or, should I be happy with a mere 308HP, and buy a motor that doesn't need anything...?

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19421179.html

Price is in Canadian dollars, fyi.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 05-03-2021 at 02:10 PM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Small Block Crate Engine Advice

That’s a no-brainer!
The 350 HO of course.
Pluses are has vortec heads, cam that matches the compression ratio.
Minuses are you need an intake. Not sure if it uses a fuel pump on the block though.
The 308 hp motor has no compression for the cam and poor heads.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
dagnabbitt

Haha, you have convinced me: I was looking for someone to give me permission for the one I wanted anyway!

Next question: should I buy the base or the deluxe version... I am thinking I can buy the base since I can I have a donor smallblock already and can rob parts from it. I have been told that any Chev smallblock intake will work fine, but do the vortec heads make a difference?

Base:

Deluxe:

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19420874.html

I am looking at a $1400 CDN difference, so I am leaning towards the base, but again looking for someone to agree with me.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 05-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #4
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
Haha, you have convinced me: I was looking for someone to give me permission for the one I wanted anyway!

Next question: should I buy the base or the deluxe version... I am thinking I can buy the base since I can I have a donor smallblock already and can rob parts from it. I have been told that any Chev smallblock intake will work fine, but do the vortec heads make a difference?

Base:

Deluxe:

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19420874.html

I am looking at a $1400 CDN difference, so I am leaning towards the base, but again looking for someone to agree with me.
Your intake won’t bolt on. It’s the angle of the bolts. Vortec is vertical.
All the extras will likely add up to that extra 1400 anyway.
I’d go deluxe.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:28 PM   #5
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Your intake won’t bolt on. It’s the angle of the bolts. Vortec is vertical.
All the extras will likely add up to that extra 1400 anyway.
I’d go deluxe.
You've sold me on the Deluxe model, you should work for GM Performance!

I have looked at the Blueprint engines link, boy that looks like a good dollar per horsepower deal: but I think I have found my engine, this one maxes out my budget and I have to leave well enough alone at some point. GM Performance offers free shipping to my door and since this is my daily summer driver I also need/want it on the road really soon. I estimate that the mosquito fogger I have in there right now is giving me about 110HP... so 330HP will blow my hair back just fine. It is going in front of a built 700r4 that has not exactly had its limits tested, I am excited to get this engine and drive it!
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 05-03-2021, 05:30 PM   #6
MySons68C20

Quote:
That’s a no-brainer!
The 350 HO of course.
Pluses are has vortec heads, cam that matches the compression ratio.
Minuses are you need an intake. Not sure if it uses a fuel pump on the block though.
The 308 hp motor has no compression for the cam and poor heads.
Geezer knows his stuff! I concur!
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #7
Rickysnickers

There's also this

https://blueprintengines.com/product...or-bp35513ctc1
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #8
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
And only 6 grand in Canuck bucks delivered.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
Rickysnickers

Quote:
And only 6 grand in Canuck bucks delivered.
Ouch!! Ok never mind that then.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #10
REDROCKER652002

Quote:
My son may be looking for a motor soon. So, since they dyno it, does that mean the break in has already been done? That is my biggest concern with a brand new motor, getting the distributor in right, getting the rpm right to break in the motor correctly.

I like the idea of it being done for me. LOL.

Looks pretty good to me.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:51 PM   #11
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post
My son may be looking for a motor soon. So, since they dyno it, does that mean the break in has already been done? That is my biggest concern with a brand new motor, getting the distributor in right, getting the rpm right to break in the motor correctly.

Looks pretty good to me.
They still recommend a 500 mile break in period, but it is a period of "normal" driving. No hammering on it or burnouts, just grocery getting. Looking forward to getting mine.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 07-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #12
REDROCKER652002

Quote:
They still recommend a 500 mile break in period, but it is a period of "normal" driving. No hammering on it or burnouts, just grocery getting. Looking forward to getting mine.
In all honesty, that's a ton better for him than trying to break in a motor. I have never done it before, so for him and me, the 500 mile easy driving is a snap. LOL
Old 06-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #13
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post

Looks pretty good to me.
Exactly what dagnabbitt says. It's a roller cam engine, so no break in as far as the cam/lifters are concerned, just rings and pistons. You shouldn't have much of an issue putting the distributor in the engine. If I can do it, so can you
Old 06-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #14
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Well, due to Ricky's suggestion I started looking into it, and I did buy a 355 from Blueprint: and it arrived this week.

I quite often experience "buyer's remorse" on big purchases... I can't say that I feel that way today. I like it, and I can't wait until it is installed.

It's going into my 1981 swb stepper, whose build thread I have neglected but will hopefully update soon, now.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=807776
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 06-25-2021, 07:45 PM   #15
Asshat

Quote:
Well, due to Ricky's suggestion I started looking into it, and I did buy a 355 from Blueprint: and it arrived this week.

I quite often experience "buyer's remorse" on big purchases... I can't say that I feel that way today. I like it, and I can't wait until it is installed.

It's going into my 1981 swb stepper, whose build thread I have neglected but will hopefully update soon, now.

Cool!
Did it come like that, with the carb and distributor?
How much $$$???
Old 06-25-2021, 10:08 PM   #16
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
Cool!
Did it come like that, with the carb and distributor?
How much $$$???
Comes exactly as pictured, its still on the crate in that pic.

Retails for $4400 USD or so, I paid a lil more to have it shipped to me in Canada, but it arrived in a week, no fuss no muss.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 06-25-2021, 10:34 PM   #17
Asshat

Quote:
Comes exactly as pictured, its still on the crate in that pic.

Retails for $4400 USD or so, I paid a lil more to have it shipped to me in Canada, but it arrived in a week, no fuss no muss.
Nice!
Will it have a lopey idle?

Last edited by Asshat; 06-26-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Asshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:08 AM   #18
Rickysnickers

Quote:

Awesome!! I hope yours work out as well as mine did!!
Old 09-10-2021, 07:45 PM   #19
JJH Jimmy

Quote:

Did you get this installed? How does it run?

I originally was going to go with the GM 350/357 which was about the same price as the Blueprint 355 but there weren’t any in stock nation wide. And then I noticed that the GM part number changed and the price went up $1000.00! So I picked up the 355 from a local speed shop that had one in stock which saved me the shipping charges. I won’t be ready for a while to get mine installed but I was worried that Blueprint was going to raise their prices.
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #20
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy View Post
Did you get this installed? How does it run?

I originally was going to go with the GM 350/357 which was about the same price as the Blueprint 355 but there weren’t any in stock nation wide. And then I noticed that the GM part number changed and the price went up $1000.00! So I picked up the 355 from a local speed shop that had one in stock which saved me the shipping charges. I won’t be ready for a while to get mine installed but I was worried that Blueprint was going to raise their prices.
Sorry for the lack of an update, I really have to add some photos to my build thread as well.

To answer your question: the engine is simply amazing. I have never had a real hot rod before, but I do now. It has more HP and torque than the 6.0 in my Suburban 2500, and it is in a vehicle that is less than half the weight and with no traction control. When I pull out to pass someone I am pulling in front of them and hitting the brakes before I even have the gas to the floor. I don't know what you big block or LS guys are used to, but this engine is enough for me: I plan to buy another one for my other project as soon as I can get the funds together.

I struggled with the question of whether I should get the 355 or the brand new Blueprint 350 and made my decision based upon the cheaper price and nominally greater HP. I could still go either way.

What I am dealing with now is a persistent exhaust drone that is ruining my enjoyment of the truck. I have asked Blueprint for their opinion and perhaps some recommendations (they have recommendations on everything, carb, header gaskets, torque converters, etc) but haven't heard back from them.

That is one thing I didn't mention about Blueprint: they have rather poor customer service. The process of buying this engine was a bit like asking them to donate a kidney to me. Unanswered emails, unanswered phone calls, unreturned voicemails, at one point I had no confidence that I was going to see my engine and thought that perhaps I had given my credit card info to a bunch of scammers, it was that bad. Once the engine was delivered I thought I would get a call or an email - generic and autogenerated, even - asking me if I liked it and if I needed any technical support. Nothing, no followup since the purchase. Maybe that's normal, but for $6500 I expected a little better. Frankly, the engine deserves better, because they have a great product from what I can tell so far.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 09-14-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #21
JJH Jimmy

Quote:
Sorry for the lack of an update, I really have to add some photos to my build thread as well.

To answer your question: the engine is simply amazing. I have never had a real hot rod before, but I do now. It has more HP and torque than the 6.0 in my Suburban 2500, and it is in a vehicle that is less than half the weight and with no traction control. When I pull out to pass someone I am pulling in front of them and hitting the brakes before I even have the gas to the floor. I don't know what you big block or LS guys are used to, but this engine is enough for me: I plan to buy another one for my other project as soon as I can get the funds together.

I struggled with the question of whether I should get the 355 or the brand new Blueprint 350 and made my decision based upon the cheaper price and nominally greater HP. I could still go either way.

What I am dealing with now is a persistent exhaust drone that is ruining my enjoyment of the truck. I have asked Blueprint for their opinion and perhaps some recommendations (they have recommendations on everything, carb, header gaskets, torque converters, etc) but haven't heard back from them.

That is one thing I didn't mention about Blueprint: they have rather poor customer service. The process of buying this engine was a bit like asking them to donate a kidney to me. Unanswered emails, unanswered phone calls, unreturned voicemails, at one point I had no confidence that I was going to see my engine and thought that perhaps I had given my credit card info to a bunch of scammers, it was that bad. Once the engine was delivered I thought I would get a call or an email - generic and autogenerated, even - asking me if I liked it and if I needed any technical support. Nothing, no followup since the purchase. Maybe that's normal, but for $6500 I expected a little better. Frankly, the engine deserves better, because they have a great product from what I can tell so far.

Thanks for the update. It is good to hear that it runs well.

As for the drone. These mufflers have good reviews and it helps to have a cross over pipe with the tips exiting the side of the truck.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17222

Budget Build 1985 K20
Old 07-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #22
REDROCKER652002

Quote:
Not having read the full thread, I would concur on this. These guys put out a Youtube video of their shop that is first rate. I would give this a serious consideration
Old 05-03-2021, 07:24 PM   #23
garyd1961

GM has a new Vortec Crate motor with hydraulic roller cam and steel crank that's less tha 4Gs.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:14 PM   #24
JJH Jimmy

For a couple hundred more you get about 30 more horse and a roller cam.
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19420871.html

Budget Build 1985 K20
Old 05-03-2021, 10:31 PM   #25
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy View Post
For a couple hundred more you get about 30 more horse and a roller cam.
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19420871.html
Oh man I was afraid someone was gonna point that out. I can live without the extra 30 horse but is a roller cam worth the upgrade? This one comes with a carb and other extras, I know, but I have a new Edelbrock handy.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10