The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
88Stanger

PSI Harness to Holley Terminator Max

So I just wanted to tell my experience with my PSI wiring harness VS Holley Terminator Max setup.
I started with a base 2000 4.8 Iron Block. I bought the 5.3 crank and rods to convert over to 5.3. Then I had the block bored, honed, cleaned and such. Did a complete rebuild of the entire engine, new pistons, rings, "Hot Cam" and lifters, stock heads with cleanup and so on. Then topped it off with a 92mm throttle body, 36lb accel injectors, Holley Single plane split intake with a 90 degree throttle body elbow and set of headers. I then bought a complete wiring harness from PSI with one of their stock rebuild ECU computer and mount.
Got all this installed and wired up with a 4L60E tranny also, then my tuner converted the stock MAF system to a Speed Density system. Fired right up, ran good, dynoed with 352hp at the rear tire. I was happy with that, but it just did not react right when you stomp on the throttle and would not shirt right when you manually shifted it. The tuner tried to fix the issues, loaded various maps and setups and still had some issues.
After all this and just me being frustrated because i do not have the software to look at the motor info, i found out about the Holley Terminator Max system, looked into it and bought the kit that matched my setup.
I have since removed the entire PSI wiring system and brain (which is up for sale) and started the install of the Holley system. I am about 80% complete with the transition and honestly am excited to see what it does when it is complete. Just being able to see what is going on with the motor is exciting to me and then being able to change that is I want is intriguing to me too. So in the next week or so i should have more info on this conversion for those interested.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #2
Joemomma1

Re: PSI Harness to Holley Terminator Max

I'm interested. I've been critical of the holley system as I view them as unnecessary for the most part. Tuning software is available to you. Is the convenience the main draw or is it the "self tuning"? Based on what you described, sounds like you may need to find another tuner. How exactly is the terminator going to fix the issue if you haven't identified the problem? Assuming one actually exists.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma1 View Post
I'm interested. I've been critical of the holley system as I view them as unnecessary for the most part. Tuning software is available to you. Is the convenience the main draw or is it the "self tuning"? Based on what you described, sounds like you may need to find another tuner. How exactly is the terminator going to fix the issue if you haven't identified the problem? Assuming one actually exists.
Thank you for the response, sorry it has taken me a bit to respond.
To answer your main question: I really like to see what is going on, make minor changes if warranted. This honestly is the main reason. I have nothing against the PSI system or the stock style brain, I just do not like needing to depend on someone and to buy the software to operate it is not cheap and well I really like Holley stuff, read some good reports and even the tuner said it was a good system. I cannot judge the tuner honestly. I have spoken to alot of guys who swear by him so i have no bad things i can say about him honestly.

Update: So i got the Terminator system in and hooked up. After figuring out that when you read that the main power switched on wire must be "hot when cranking" is actually hot when cranking, the system will work. LOL So after making sure that was corrected, it fired up instantly, no issue. I actually startled me honestly, it started so quickly. I was very happy and now I am cleaning up the wiring, hiding the ECU and have the laptop to ECU cable on order. As i get all that done and looking good, i have contacted a guy on LS1Tech whom is really knowledgeable with the system and is willing to help me with it. I am excited to see it working fully and me running it.
When that happens i will respond back with update. As for now, i am very impressed so far.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
Joemomma1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Thank you for the response, sorry it has taken me a bit to respond.
To answer your main question: I really like to see what is going on, make minor changes if warranted. This honestly is the main reason. I have nothing against the PSI system or the stock style brain, I just do not like needing to depend on someone and to buy the software to operate it is not cheap and well I really like Holley stuff, read some good reports and even the tuner said it was a good system. I cannot judge the tuner honestly. I have spoken to alot of guys who swear by him so i have no bad things i can say about him honestly.

Update: So i got the Terminator system in and hooked up. After figuring out that when you read that the main power switched on wire must be "hot when cranking" is actually hot when cranking, the system will work. LOL So after making sure that was corrected, it fired up instantly, no issue. I actually startled me honestly, it started so quickly. I was very happy and now I am cleaning up the wiring, hiding the ECU and have the laptop to ECU cable on order. As i get all that done and looking good, i have contacted a guy on LS1Tech whom is really knowledgeable with the system and is willing to help me with it. I am excited to see it working fully and me running it.
When that happens i will respond back with update. As for now, i am very impressed so far.
Good info. This is probably what I'm going with on my next swap just to try it out.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
LS short box

Andrew over on LS1tech is very good on the Holley stuff. He does online tuning via I think Team Viewer.
I kind of curious why your tuner converted to speed density. Typically its done for turbo type engines.
I've done a number of LS swaps using GM ECM's and mass air. My tuners had no issues getting the tune spot on.
Nothing against Holley. Good luck with your project.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #6
LS short box

Andrew over on LS1tech is very good on the Holley stuff. He does online tuning via I think Team Viewer.
I kind of curious why your tuner converted to speed density. Typically its done for turbo type engines.
I've done a number of LS swaps using GM ECM's and mass air. My tuners had no issues getting the tune spot on.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:15 AM   #7
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
To be honest on why my tuner went to Speed Density, I cannot say, i have no idea honestly.
I have talked with Andrew about doing a tune over that viewer at a decent price, so I have to get all the wiring fixed up, hidden and such and then started, warmed up and making sure the base load is working ok and then I will work with Andrew to get it all working correctly.
Again, I have nothing against GM stuff or even PSI whom was awesome to work with honestly, but I really like to see what is going on and I really did not want to spend the money on a new program, so I really like Holley stuff and figured what the heck, give them a try. Not alot of people I know have went with Holley stuff, so I like to be a bit different and try something new.. so Holley it is.
I tried FiTech 3 years ago ...... hopefully this outcome is better than that one.... lol
Old 04-07-2022, 02:52 PM   #8
biketopia

You will be thrilled with andrew's work. I had him tune my holly dominator controlled SBC running LS coils and a stealth throttle body. fired right up and runs like a dream. I'm fighting a fuel starvation issue but that's on me, the car runs better than it ever did with a carb or the snipper.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote