The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #1
kev2809
low n' slo

guys using the holley 302-2 pan

is the windage tray and new dipstick/tube actually required? I bought a knock off earlier this year and will be finally installing it this week...but just now read the description that windage tray GM #12558253 and dipstick GM #12669528 and dipstick tube GM #12625031 must be used....AND the the windage tray needs to be modified. I looked around on the forum and see mixed results.

pan is going on a 2002 5.3 engine in a bagged 67 suburban. I don't mind ordering the above parts but I just want to know if it's absolutely required and why the tray modification?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:25 PM   #2
kev2809
low n' slo

Re: guys using the holley 302-2 pan

ok I watched a few videos and I think I'm understanding it now. the windage tray needs to be cut down in the front to clear the shallow pan depth and the new pickup tube, and I'm guessing the newer dipstick is required because the stock hits the new baffle in the pan. but what does a different gm windage tray do..if I can already cut my stock one?

the part number I listed for the tray looks to be the same just shorter in the front?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 11-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
ls1nova71

I would cut the stock one down and see how the pan fits with it. If it clears everything then it shouldn't be a problem, only way to know for sure is to try it.

As for the dipstick, same deal. If it goes all the way in the pan, it will work. it will likely be too long, but you could fill the engine with the correct amount of oil and remark the stick.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I would cut the stock one down and see how the pan fits with it. If it clears everything then it shouldn't be a problem, only way to know for sure is to try it.

As for the dipstick, same deal. If it goes all the way in the pan, it will work. it will likely be too long, but you could fill the engine with the correct amount of oil and remark the stick.
ya I been watching a few videos and reading up on it. I wasn't sure why it was required for a new pan and dipstick. I was playing with it last night and noticed the stock pan does prevent the oil.pan to sit flush up front and it doesn't allow the pickup tube to sit all the way down. I'm guessing cutting off the front and ordering the ls3 dipstick will probably fix it

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 11-11-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
kev2809
low n' slo

well cut the tray down and that part worked....and for some weird reason the stock tube and stick fit...which never happens lol. I'm sure the full oil level will probably read different but no biggie. when I top it off I will take it out and make a new mark if I have to.
Attached Images

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__