The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2002, 06:31 AM   #1
7T1BURB

Hidden Antenna

Have seen various vendors advertising the "hidden antenna" and was wondering if anyone had installed one and was radio reception good? Don't want to install a cowl mounted antenna and thought this might be a good alternative. Appreciate any info. THANKS!
7T1BURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 07:03 AM   #2
Tim Christian

Smile

I put one on my son's truck. It works pretty good but still not as good as a cowl mounted antenna.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:16 AM   #3
Jwill41

I just have an old antenna that was laying around in the garage. I wedged it in right underneath the glove box cardboard and tie-wrapped it in place. Works great and can't be seen.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:26 AM   #4
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I'm going to sink an electric antenna where my gas cap used to be. I'll take pics once I get started.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 10:53 AM   #5
slam33

I have one that I got off E-bay, it's for planes and boats. Fiberglass housing with electronics. I mounted it under the cowl on the pass side and welded up the antana hole. It works great, best $4 I ever spent.

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 10:53 AM   #6
XXL
Seņor Member

Another good spot is behind the grille, horizontally. Just mount it to either the right or left vertical stanchion and use a plastic standoff to hold the other end from bouncing around. I use the Harada universal* black (fiberglass whip) antenna and it works just fine. I've done this on a half-dozen or so cars over the years.

Kenneth

* "universal" means it doesn't actually fit correctly on anything.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:04 AM   #7
BIG ORANGE

Question

This reply is to Randy,what do you use to mount the radio to the cab? I've seen this pockets that the antana comes through and has aliitle drip leg to let water pass through the bottom of the housing,is this what you are using.

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:37 AM   #8
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

Doesn't somone sell kits to put an antenna in your back window. It's like a thin strip of metal that sticks on the glass around the outline of the window. My wife has this stock on her new maxima, and I can't remember where I saw this conversion kit. Any one else seen it, cuz I would like to get one.

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:49 PM   #9
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

LONG KNIGHT,

You used to be able to buy the window kit at just about any major auto parts. ( napa,auto zone,checker,big A) I haven't checked in a while for one though.

Crutchfield also sells a hidden unit. I don't know how well it works.
Remember one thing guys, a lot of the reception will depend on how much your stereo/radio has the ability to receive the signal also. If you go to the Crutchfield book, It gives a VERY in-depth break down of all of the stereos and how well they receive radio signals, what their background noise is, ETC.ETC. and they explain how to understand it. Where I live out in the middle of no-where, I get terrible reception. The closest radio station is in VEGAS, 65 miles away and the signal has to travel over the mountains.

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 06:01 PM   #10
Primered_69

Hey XXL for us uneducated (in automobile technical terms) what is a "right or left vertical stanchion." I know a lot but I don't know that.

According to my dictionary it is a "1. An upright pole, post, or support. 2. A framework consisting of two or more vertical bars, used to secure cattle in a stall or at a feed trough."

So would this be the radiator support? Or another upright support.

We little people need smaller words.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:30 PM   #11
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Primered_69
We little people need smaller words.
Hey, the only other word I know to describe them is "thingie" but I figured that woudn't be descriptive enough

If you look on the front of the core support, on either side of the radiator opening, you'll see a vertical 'bump' that is about 1 1/2" wide and as tall as the opening. If you drill a hole in one side, you can mount the universal antenna at its 90 degree setting and the whip will run horizontally, parallel with the ground, across the front of the radiator.

As for the big words... forgive my erudition

Kenneth
Old 12-12-2002, 07:32 PM   #12
guitarman
Do it well or don't do it

I used an amplified hidden unit that was on close out at Pep Boys, might have been a Hirrade the only thing that shows is two very thin strips on either side of the rear view mirror. It works super.

Excellent paint and body site:

http://www.autobody101.com/

Visit my Web Site

http://home.attbi.com/~agfosteriii
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 05:17 AM   #13
OhioDan

A friend of mine gave me a "hidden antenna", that he purchased at Junk Shack. He put one in his S-10 and got great reception, even on AM. Don't have mine in as of yet, because I haven't installed the windshield, so I can't tell you first hand. Just my $.02 worth.

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 09:50 AM   #14
7T1BURB

Thanks for everyone's input ! Armed with the info you provided I think I might try that "vertical stanchion" installation and see how it works...seems like another great idea!! Thanks to all........
7T1BURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:45 AM   #15
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG ORANGE
This reply is to Randy,what do you use to mount the radio to the cab? I've seen this pockets that the antana comes through and has aliitle drip leg to let water pass through the bottom of the housing,is this what you are using.
I had a frenched antenna in my 47 Chevy (sold) as well. Pretty much like you said, we used a piece of 1.5 inch tube, capped it off at one end, made a hole in the capped end just big enough for the antenna to come through, and also installed a drain tube with a hose attached. The hose would have to exit out of the bottom of the cab through the floor. Brackets will have to be fabbed to support the bottom of the unit. This set-up will be a little different as I will not be sinking the antenna in a pocket on this one. Once I make the piece to fill in the gas filler hole, I'll take some pics. It should be really cool if it turns out the way I'm hoping it to.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:50 AM   #16
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Man, I regret selling that one
Old 12-13-2002, 02:48 PM   #17
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

I also have a "stock" antenna stuffed up underneath my dash. Works great. You might as well try that first before you go out and buy a "hidden" antenna.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:15 PM   #18
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Stock antenna tucked under my dash works great.I prolly don't have the range an outside one would but in Hotlanta there are stations everywhere so I can always pick up something.I have broadened my horizons over the years so that I listen to a wider variety of music so I can always find something to listen to.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 11:53 PM   #19
DeepPurple
Real Deep...

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy70C-10
This set-up will be a little different as I will not be sinking the antenna in a pocket on this one. Once I make the piece to fill in the gas filler hole, I'll take some pics. It should be really cool if it turns out the way I'm hoping it to.
So you're not wanting it to look like this? (mind you, this was done on the passenger side as opposed to the drivers side).
Attached Images

1976 GMC K5 Jimmy (Big Blue)
400/TH350
Coming soon to a drive-in near you...

We have done So Much with So Little for So Long..
We are now qualified to do Anything with Nothing.
DeepPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 12:44 AM   #20
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepPurple

So you're not wanting it to look like this? (mind you, this was done on the passenger side as opposed to the drivers side).
I've got no problem with frenched antennas... just a heads-up... I had a buddy who did this on this truck and he kept breaking off the masts. When he'd get out, he'd shoulder into the antenna and *whack*... time for a new mast. I hooked up a relay to his door pin switch so when he opened the door the antenna would run down. Voila... no more broken masts

Kenneth
Old 02-16-2003, 09:02 PM   #21
KEH
Better late than never

For you guys that have a stock antenna tucked under the dash, do you have to ground the antenna, or does it get its ground from the cable?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2003, 09:05 PM   #22
Jwill41

i did not ground mine but it might should be.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 09:12 PM   #23
XXL
Seņor Member

I recommend you ground the antenna base. In this case, the issue is not an electrical ground for the radio, but as an FM frequency ground plane.

Kenneth
Old 02-16-2003, 09:52 PM   #24
KEH
Better late than never

Thanks guys. Sounds like that's the easiest/best way to go...this board and the people on it are the best...

thanks