The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
'68 C-20

WIW, Is this price out of whack?

Hello,
I am looking to you all for guidance. Is the price on this truck too high?

Yes it is mine.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3329525411.html

I have tried to comp it and have a hard time finding comps that are untouched originals. I certainly do not want to mis represent it in any way.

55 thousand miles, all the original sheet-metal still intact. Not rust free but a survivor. I have had it for several years. I am technically the third owner but only the second owner to register and run it. I do know it's history.

Understandably the market value is different in different parts of the country and there are few untouched survivors in New England that will walk through a state inspection.

Just looking for thoughts, would you pay that price? If not what do you think it should be. I know the end value is always "whatever someone will pay". So I guess the question is, would you pay it?

I am not desperate to sell it, but I have already purchased my next project and need room before winter to get it inside so I can get it apart.

Thanks in advance
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: WIW, Is this price out of whack?

Nice truck! It would certainly be a truck I'd like to have. Unfortunately it may just end up being modified beyond recognition once you sell it. Seems like too many people want to just cut up or part the base trucks. Price is probably a good starting point. If it is already sold you priced it too low! :-)
Some underside pictures and a SPID picture altered for VIN might help.

A couple of things to help here are a powertrain chart to sort out your axle. The other is the paint code. 508 is the GM color code and the PPG/Ditzler code is actually 12409. Good luck with your sale and I only wish you were closer so I could take a lot of pictures.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
missinfishin10
Amazed Member

Nice!
I would bet there is a buyer out there at that price. Just might take a bit. It could get close on ebay.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
jocko

I agree, I think you're in the ballpark on your asking price, but depends how quicly you want to sell it. I have no doubt there is someone out there that would pay your asking price because they want THAT truck. But, I'd imagine there are a lot more people out there that would make an offer if you were asking $4000, or $3900 even. In the end, you might end up getting the same amount of money if your "no kidding" in your mind reserve price is in that lower ball park. Nothing wrong with asking what you're asking though - Nice truck.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The thing to remember is that in NH that is probably a fair price for a truck in that condition.The other thing is that people on CL are always figuring on beating you down on price.You'll probably get offers for less(maybe much less) but it will be from folks looking for an old truck to do some hauling with.You're looking for a buyer who is an enthusiast.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
rcrahn

Nice truck - it's quite original and that's very cool.
Look - my perspective is coming from Cali so please don't be offended.
When you say it has "rust" I feel shivers. I hate rust. When I do a vehicle I eliminate it 100%. It costs $$$ to do that but that's just my preference.
So looking at that truck from strictly my perspective I would blow it apart and restore it completely. That would cost at least $10-12K. So I would not want to pay more than $3,000 for it.
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
ole dollor

i also think you are ok on the price. like others have said . it might take awhile to sell it, but you can always come down some on the price if the right person comes along....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
rsavage

In most cases, I don't think a long bed 3/4 ton 6 cylinder low option truck is very desirable as far as a full restoration is concerned. A person would just have too much money invested in it to ever hope to recoup if he decided to sell. Yours looks like a very nice survivor and will probably be valued by someone who wants to drive a real nice old truck once in awhile like you have. It is a buyer's market right now so I would imagine that you will get offers between $3000 and $4000.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
'68 C-20

Thank for the replies! And thanks for your Candor! Honest opinions are what I am looking for.

SS Tim, thank you for the chart, the truck has the Dana 4:10 rear with the Leaf override over Coils on Trailing arms. It rides sweet with that set up whether it is loaded or not.

PanelDeland, you are exactly right about the CL buyers. It is a tough sell because it don't look as good as the ones with cheap Chinese fenders, plastic filler and fresh paint, and yes, they are looking for a 1,000 dollar hauler and want a little cool factor. In NH there are darned few trucks like this, but also few that appreciate them.

rcrahn, no offense, I hear you. In an area with rust free doners I think you are spot on, and lucky to live there! Around here rust is a way of life. And yes it does need to go down to the frame, every thing blasted painted and put back together. That was my plan for it when I bought it. I can restore this truck and reuse most all of the sheet-metal. It will need a front drivers side fender mount on the cab corner, bed wood, and the bed brackets and hardware, a few cosmetic parts like the door sill plates, but that is about it. I just have not had time to take it apart and now have purchased another project that I want to start on. I need the shop space.

So if I hear the rest of you, it seems I am pretty good on the start (remembering that it is base model) and should probably expect to get 4 or close to it. That is about where I thought it would end up. I have it heavily listed on most every CL within 300 miles of me. I will likely leave it up and drop the price 100 a week till it goes.

Thanks again guys.
’26 Ford Model T
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Rochlow

I've seen this add on on CL. The truck is very nice!
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

You're right on with the price and there are plenty who don't care about trucks as an investment who would love it as a great example of an average everyday good old Chevy truck. They don't all have to be loaded with all the bells & whistles. True truck guys love this stuff. I know I do.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #12
JointTech

I'd just like to thank you for you grammar and spelling in that tome of a cl post
My gut reaction was the price was a little high, 6cyl, and the paints a little dull. But thats a "before I came to this forum" perspective which I haven't quite shaken.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #13
zeeklu

I think your price is fair. Maybe a compound and a coat of wax would make it more appealing to prospective buyers. Chris
Posted via Mobile Device
zeeklu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
'68 C-20

Thanks for the continued comments. Actually I did compound it a year or so ago and it really did not help much.

Well one thing is for certain, the scammers on CL don't sleep. Overnight I received three different emails asking it was still available, upon reply I received three different replies from three different email addresses (not the ones I replied to) saying they were "most anxious to by" and offering to transfer funds into my Paypal account at once, without looking at the truck, and then schedule pickup for the "merchandise" through a courier.

Why the hell would anyone refer to a truck as "merchandise".
’26 Ford Model T
Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
'68 C-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
I'd just like to thank you for you grammar and spelling in that tome of a cl post .
Thank you. I always believe that we are judged by how we write. Regardless if it is a letter to the Boss, an editorial in the local paper, an classified guide, or an online forum. I do tend to get a bit verbose in my attempt to communicate, but I feel it necessary to share as much information as possible.
’26 Ford Model T
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I found his shortbed older brother...

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/3230808079.html

This one has had the price dropped a couple times.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
cdowns

it is a very nice lookin truck but for a stripped down base model i personally wouldnt pay that much// you might find somebody in the longterm to pay it tho// i'd think the waxing it up is a good idea and if you have it out at local swapmeets & events for people to see it might b better than on craigs

i only list a phone number with the no email option on craigs due to the nonstop spammer scammmers
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
rcrahn

Here is example of this very truck currently being advertized in the SF bay area on CL.....$2,000 asking. Not too bad to just knock around in....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3330584547.html
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I only had my phone earlier so couldn't post more (pain in the butt).

First off, get rid of that ugly rack (I'm sorry if you built it, but it looks terrible on the truck.) Secondly, I know you said you waxed the truck before, but it does look dirty in the pics. Clean it up under the hood. It looks really nice under there, just dirty. I wouldn't touch the engine, just wipe the air cleaner and valve cover off, then wash/wipe off the inner fenders and cowl. Wash the truck thoroughly, LET IT DRY COMPLETELY (this drives me nuts in craigslist ads) then take new pics.

The mileage... this truck may have at least been repainted once before. The bed wood and strips should be blue. There should at least be some traces of blue left on them. Also, the chalk numbers on the firewall are missing. Could have been cleaned off. The tailgate appears to have been replaced/repainted at some point.

Just some observations.

Being a C20, longbed, and no options straight six isn't exactly high on restorers minds. They'll have to shorten the frame, swap to a V8/Auto, add A/C, swap the 3/4 ton to half ton suspension, etc. NOT what EVERYONE would do, but what most people would do who are looking for these year trucks. With that said, I think 3,500 for your area is more likely.

Your ad is also WAY too long. Most people don't want to read all of that stuff. In my opionion, this is how it should read:

Quote:
1968 Chevrolet C20 $4,600 OBRO.

The truck is in great shape for its age, however it is not rust free. It does have the typical rust areas for these trucks, but nothing like most trucks typical of this area. I have owned the truck for about 8 years, I am currently the third owner.

The truck appears to me to be an original survivor. The odometer reads a little over 54K and I believe that to be close to the original mileage. The speedometer cable broke this past August, but the mileage was documented at the last inspection. Pedal wear and floor mat wear bear out low mileage. The clock read 48K when I bought it.

The truck has a current NH inspection. Tires have less then a 1000 miles on them. Brakes new in the last 1000 miles or so. It will need an exhaust system prior to the next inspection. I believe it to still have the OEM Muffler/exhaust installed. OEM Spare is under the bed, never has been removed. The truck is a nice driver as is and is ready to be driven to its new home!

If you want more detailed photos of any particular part of it, feel free to ask.

Specs on this truck from the SPID label on glove box.:
2WD
127 inch Wheelbase
Model No. CS20934 Fleet side 8Ft.
4508AA Dark Blue Paint. (PPG 508)
4614JB Blue Vinyl interior trim.
4D36AB Non Glare Mirror
4D29DB RV Jr Mirror R&L
4F60AA HD Front Springs ( Heavy Duty Coil)
Rear Axle Dana or H052
4M20CJ Muncie SM465 4 Speed Transmission
After you get a serious buyer on the hook, you can talk about all that other stuff in person.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 10-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
'68 C-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I only had my phone earlier so couldn't post more (pain in the butt).

Just some observations.

In my opinion, this is how it should read:
Thank you very much for this very thoughtful note and your candor. Not the first time I have been accused of being long winded.

I agree with you. Thx for the advice. I will take it.

I am pretty sure the truck has not been painted other than touch up. The fellow that bought it new in '68 had it up into the '90's (till he passed on, his widow kept it a few years and when she died her son sold it. They lived about 10 miles from me.) . As it aged and he found surface rust and issues, he would wire brush the spot and touch it up. In the sun you can see the difference in paint spots. I got a quote to paint it at a local shop and that painter felt that it was the original paint (Minus the touch ups)

Funny thing on the bed wood. It is black, top and bottom. I always thought the bed was always painted the same color as the truck. I have a good friend who worked at a local Chevy dealership from the late 50's to the early 80's. He says no. He saw wood bed trucks come through that had black dipped wood only and no paint.

I also found a well rusted C-20, base model in blue a few years ago. I approached the owner to buy it for parts, and he thought that it was worth a million dollars and rare. This one looked original as well but had been outdoors for decades, but the wood bed ( what was left of it) was clearly black like mine.

So I dunno' really.
’26 Ford Model T