The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2002, 08:48 PM   #1
XXL
Seņor Member

Lokar or other floor shifter?

Anyone out there have a Lokar or other brand automatic floor shifter they want to recommend?

Or, anyone want to talk me out of it?

Here's my dilemma... I'm doing a smoothed dash (as in getting rid of glove box door, radio, ash tray, and everything else) that will have a pair of gauges roughly where the 2 big ones currently are, and that's it. So I need to relocate all my lights, wipers, and ignition elsewhere. My first though was to get them all on a column from another vehicle. But... I can't find a good, adaptable solution that has all that AND a column shift on it. So my thought is to do a column for all the goodies BUT the shifter, and stick that in the floor.

So... any input from you would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 09:45 PM   #2
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Smackin Gears..

I asked this question to allot of people.
Although I was looking for a gate shifter for a truck, I did learn this about Lokar...
A few people who had used them said they were good shifters. Problem was that the shifter is hollow (for the push button and release) And it would rattle sometimes (the rod inside). That would drive me nuts.
The alternative is the Gennie Shifter..
Its similar to the Lokar but the shifter is solid and you push down on the shifter to to move past the lockouts.
Check it out to see what you think.
Denny
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 09:52 PM   #3
XXL
Seņor Member

Thanks DennyB for the info. I'll check them out.

Also, for everyone, I'm not going to be doing the full manual valve body, high-speed, Paris-Dakar Rally shifting. I start the truck, put in drive, and press the pedal. So I don't have any "performance" requirements other than it be good quality, NOT RATTLE , and that it stay in gear if an errant foot or briefcase whacks it after a quick stop.

Kenneth
Old 06-14-2002, 12:38 AM   #4
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

ill never use any thing but a lokar again. love the things. never had a prob with rattles.??????? i guess i can see how it would happen.. still they are well built and look great
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 06:24 AM   #5
Tim Christian

Smile

I have bought a lot of stuff from Lokar and can only say one thing! QUALITY!!!!
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:02 AM   #6
Chevyc10!

A co worker of mine has the Lokar setup. He doesn't like it. I thought it looked ok. He said it just doesn't feel right to him. Myself, I just put a B&M Light Truck Megashifter in and I am in LOVE. It looks great, and the rachet action is friggin awesome. My vote goes for the B&M, from personal experience of course...

Paralyzed from the neck up and confined to a hat!

Kathleen, Georgia USA
Chevyc10! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:42 AM   #7
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

I dont think XXL is looking fo a ratchet shifter.
Although B&M makes some Nice stuff!
I personally Like the Pro Stick, and is the only performance shifter I would recommend. But for just cruzen around Geenie makes a nice unit. Lokar is Nice as well but I wouldnt want to take a chance with the rattles.
Maybe the rattles only happin if you have a lopy engine or a rough idle....It is attached to the trans...hmmmm.
I have recently seen a "Street Stick", This is like the Pro Stick but has a nicer console. Also the great thing about the Pro Stick is, if you change your trans (like to an OD) you can just buy the correct gate plate and still use your shifter
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 11:42 AM   #8
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

I had a Lokar shifter in my Jeep but I took it out because it broke.
The button you push down on the knob got stuck in the down position. So I went and got an IROC shifter and made a custom box for it. The Lokar is nice though. BTW, I have one (broken but can be fixed) to sell. Its for an overdrive tranny though.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:13 PM   #9
Smooth68

I looked at the Lokar stuff but found a guy with a new B&M that sold it for a very good deal - Plus the B&M fits the "look" of my 68 a little better. I do plan on going with one of the Lokar Stealth gas pedals though - it routes the cable through the floor rather than through the firewall.

WTB 64-66 project or frame/cab, SWB or LWB...I have the fever! Whatcha got??

'68 Short Step - Shaved Body, Soon Bagged - SOLD

Driver-2004 GMC Z-71 Ext-cab
Smooth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:04 PM   #10
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ProSt68Trk
I do plan on going with one of the Lokar Stealth gas pedals though - it routes the cable through the floor rather than through the firewall.
Tell me more about this piece! Where/how does it route? Also, is it a new pedal as well or does it operate off the stock pedal? If the latter, I have the pre-72 pedal with the rod that comes of the top and sticks through the firewall. How would that work with this cable? That's one of three holes still in the firewall not yet welded up (the others are the steering column and the booster... and I'm probably not going to get rid of either of those , though I was looking at an under-dash brake setup that I can't afford).

Kenneth