The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
twich3136

99 14 bolt sf w/ newer leafs. make my own hangers? or adapt stock 99 hangers?

i have run into a problem trying to swap to a disc brake 99 14 bolt sf. and its not the brakes. lol the frame on the 99 is much wider than my 68 longhorn. i wanted to use the newer leafs (63" i believe) which is where my current problem is. there really isnt a lot of info out there for this. the hangers i can find are for toyota swaps which go right under the frame rails. these would work since i want it lifted a bit anyway however i see a huge stability problem moving the leafs so far under the frame. i thought about getting some stock 99 hangers and moving the leafs just outside the frame which might be the easiest way.
but what if i bring the hangers off the frame further to meet with the stock 99 perches on the axle?
i could throw in a home made cross member to keep it from flexing the frame but i still worry about putting that much rotational strain on that old frame.
i do have a class 5 curt receiver that i want to install too but thats another problem with clearance ha ha. it sticks so far forward from the edge of the frame rail i might have problems when the rear hanger moves back, itll be very close if not overlap.
anyone with fab experience able to chime in on this one?

USMC
SEMPER FI
68 Chevy Longhorn 350/400 factory posi
twich3136 is offline   Reply With Quote