The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
1969 Suburban Man

Tinting side windows

I live in Bakersfield, CA were average summer temp run from 95-115 F most all summer (about 5 months). I have a 1969 1/2 ton GMC Suburban with factory front air only.

I would like to tint all the side windows real dark and little less dark on driver/pass door windows and the rear window. This would really help cut down the interior temp and should help the A/C when recirculating the cooler air.

Anyone done this to your rig? Don't tell me to move to the coast, I would if I could. Thanks
Attached Images

1969 Suburban Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
53burb

Re: Tinting side windows

I've done this to mine. The rear windows are limo tint and the fronts are lighter. They are at the max that is legal here in Phoenix. I believe it is called 20%, meaning it will let 20% of the light in. Anyways, here in Phoenix, most of all the vehicles on the road are tinted. Sorry, I don't have any pics at the time. Just noticed in my avatar, that pic is before I had them tinted.
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

If I were to do it, and I think about it from time to time.
I would do a light tint rather than a limo tint, since I have a limo tint on my daily driver and it is almost impossible to see out of at night time.

So doing that to a Suburban, where the driver is always looking back to negotiate a tight turn due to the size of the truck. I know I would become frustrated with a very dark tint if I couldn't see out during night time.

Then again back in the day, my Suburban had all of the rear glass covered with dark curtains that my Mom made
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
1969 Suburban Man

Question Re: Tinting side windows

53burb -- I think CA is about the same as AZ on the driver/pass side window. Your hot weather is just like ours and this is my daily driver and I have to do something to cut down the heat inside. Did you do your rear window in Limo also?

vectorit -- This is my daily driver and I don't use it much at night, we use my wifes SUV. I had this setup in my F350 Crew Cab Dually and you are correct that it makes it a little hard at night, but it is a real plus for the day time use.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
1leglance

I just got mine done by a great guy here in Phoenix who works mobile.
Mine is some newer stuff that is more about heat blocking than UV or darkness. I even got the windshield done (very lightly and yes I know the legality).
Just took the rig on a camping trip this weekend and it very much made a difference. I can put my hand behind the glass and feel the heat blocking vs open sun.
Here is a pic

1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
1969 Suburban Man

1leglance -- That looks real nice on your rig. can you provide more information on the material and the shade level you went with. I'm in Southern CA but I am sure there are guys doing it around hear. Any idea on temp difference over the past? How hot was it this weekend? Thanks in advance for the information. Is it to much to ask what it cost? Tom
Old 09-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
1leglance

I will text the tint guy and get the info...
cost to go from no tint to all windows including windshield was $465...worth every penny
temps were over 100 this weekend and you could feel the difference without a doubt. I don't have AC yet and it wasn't bad with the new tint.
Plus I could still see out the glass at night on the 4wd trail which is real important to me...no backing off a shelf road and all that
Old 09-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
1969 Suburban Man

1leglance -- Thanks, I am real interested in the information. Are temp during the summer May to Oct are in the 95-110 range (little cooler than in AZ) but this is sounding real good. I do have Factory air (but only have the front dash operating) and it only makes it bearable inside, I am sure this would help the system cool it down a little better.

I agree with being able to see out at night as I tow a vintage dragster & pit cart on an open trailer a lot. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
53burb

53burb -- I think CA is about the same as AZ on the driver/pass side window. Your hot weather is just like ours and this is my daily driver and I have to do something to cut down the heat inside. Did you do your rear window in Limo also?

Yes, I did everything in limo except the two front doors. I havent driven the vehicle in quite awhile like this, but I have a '95 Camry tinted the same way. No issues as fas as visibility goes.
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
1leglance

Thanks to a reminder from Burb Man I checked with my tint dude as to what he used.

SunTek Carbon XP
55% light through on windshield
Then moving back to 35% and 18% getting darker as you go back.

Had another camping trip this weekend and you it was clear the tint blocked heat through the glass.