The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
Shtudwn

Is the Fuse Panel Grounded?

Maybe dumb question here but I am dealing with a backup lights (dark green and light green) wire being burnt so bad that its a wonder it didn't catch fire! More on that if anyone wants to hear it....

So I have replaced the two wires and checked the backup switch. All good. but I was checking the fuse panel for continuity to ground and half of the circuits are grounded???? Is this the way it should be?

Thank you.
Shtudwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:10 AM   #2
70GMCer

Re: Is the Fuse Panel Grounded?

I'm finding out that these trucks have grounds all over the place. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the fuse panel is grounded.

My left rear signal was not working & the backup lights also.

So I looked under the bed at the rear where the harness was, & low and behold, someone had really did a butcher job on that harness.

I took out the harness to inspect. I noticed that there is a ground strap within that harness that bolts to the area where the tail light lens bolts to that wasn't hooked up.

After re-soldering & repairing all the damaged wires, I did a continuity check on the harness before installing.

I also put die-electric grease on all of the connections including the main plug.

They get corroded over time & need cleaned. Do that to all of the connections throughout the truck.

All checked out & installed. All the lights now work including the backup.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but at least check that ground strap to make sure it is bolted to the bed (tail light housing opening).

Good luck as I am still looking for those little electrical "Gremlins" hiding....
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Shtudwn

Re: Is the Fuse Panel Grounded?

Ugg! Gremlins! I know!

Thank you.

This all started because someone had done a quick connect between one of the hot posts on the face of the fuse panel with the other end wrapped around one of the legs of the flasher. I got the truck home from buying it, a fifteen minute drive, and noticed that short wire and the fact that it was fried. This prompted me to look further and I found that the backup light wires to the switch on the column were fried! Apparently they jumpered the flasher because the wire had broken loose in the back of the panel for the flasher. I was thinking this alone caused the backup wires to be fried.

Now I am checking all of this without having any of the front or rear harness connected. And I thought my 66 C10 SWB wiring was a pain. haha! Thank goodness this isnt a late model car!

I am still a bit leary of just plugging it all in to see if sparks fly. Any other thoughts?

Thank you.
Shtudwn is offline   Reply With Quote