The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2021, 10:36 PM   #26
truckdude239

Re: Are Ingersoll Rand good air compressors?

i got a 1980 80 gallon 5hp 30t at work just now gettign its first pump rebuild i wouldnt have to if the last guy that serviced it for my work when i was on vaction used the wrong oil in it had crank bearing fail looking for another 30 years out of it after rebuild

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:11 AM   #27
Gregski
Post Whore

so I finally pulled the trigger and treated myself to a Campbell Hausfeld, 60 Gal. 2-stage, 3.7 HP electric air compressor (XC602100) from Home Depot

I figured everything 2-stage on Craigslist looked like it was made during the Bronze Age, meaning it served it's purpose and they were dumping it for a reason

plus I got some serious discounts off of the fake arbitrary original price, LOL
$1,380.00

$1,104.00 Saved $276.00 (20%)

plus GOT $100 OFF and payed only $1,100.60 instead for opening a new HD credit card
we are really good about not carrying any unsecured debt so the money is just sitting there in my PayPal waiting to be transferred once this thing is ... [wait for it ]

delivered to my house for FREE (pronounced: save your back old man)

can't wait to hook this beauty up to my media cabinet which has been sitting there in my side yard for the last God only knows how many years, whilst I risk life and limb with the wire wheel on the angle grinder

peace! and lemme know if you happen to own one of these beauties and how do they handle?
Attached Images

Gregski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:20 AM   #28
Gregski
Post Whore

and I just found this YouTube Campbell Hausfeld video by Mike Finnegan

How to Choose an Air Compressor
Old 03-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #29
LT7A

Congrats! Looks/sounds like a good unit. Put a coat of wax on that thing and then get busy with your blasting cabinet.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #30
Gregski
Post Whore

so taday was a good day
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2022, 09:40 AM   #31
Gregski
Post Whore

oh wow check out the price difference on this Air Filter and Pressure Regulator between Home Depot and AMAZON and yes I checked and it is the exact same part number PA207803AV

not to mention HD shipping would take 2 weeks and AMAZON is next day
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2022, 11:17 AM   #32
Gregski
Post Whore

finally got the air compressor fired up for the first time, you need to run it without presurizing the tank for 30 minutes to let the pump burn in

Air Compressor First Run
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2022, 11:23 AM   #33
Gregski
Post Whore

and though I can't see through the seeing glass on my FREE Craigslist media blasting cabinet and I think the light is burned out, so I am using a portable flashlight I managed to get a few pieces done last night
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2022, 11:26 AM   #34
Gregski
Post Whore

INITIAL REACTION

This two stage 60 gallon air compressor is doing exactly what I bought it for: media blasting

I am using white stuff that came with the free media blasting cabinet so I am guessing it is soda

I heard that I should run 1/2" hoses but to start I am just using the dime a dozen 3/8ths for now with what they call 1/4" NPT (National Pipe Thread) fittings (finding all the right fittings and adapters was total and complete hell, they could not have made it any more difficult)
  • the tank hole is 3/4"
  • the hose ends are 1/4" MPT (Male Pipe Thread) but the hose itself is 3/8ths to confuse you
  • the air pressure regulator thingie is 3/8" but FPT (Female Pipe Thread)

anything in the Pipe Thread family is not even close to the actual human size, for example 1/4" NPT is not 1/4" though I'm sure someone on here will try to explain it, like maybe the hole inside the threads is 1/4" I don't know, all I know it's dumb and confusing
Old 04-09-2022, 12:02 PM   #35
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
so I finally pulled the trigger and treated myself to a Campbell Hausfeld, 60 Gal. 2-stage, 3.7 HP electric air compressor (XC602100) from Home Depot

I figured everything 2-stage on Craigslist looked like it was made during the Bronze Age, meaning it served it's purpose and they were dumping it for a reason

plus I got some serious discounts off of the fake arbitrary original price, LOL
$1,380.00

$1,104.00 Saved $276.00 (20%)

plus GOT $100 OFF and payed only $1,100.60 instead for opening a new HD credit card
we are really good about not carrying any unsecured debt so the money is just sitting there in my PayPal waiting to be transferred once this thing is ... [wait for it ]

delivered to my house for FREE (pronounced: save your back old man)

can't wait to hook this beauty up to my media cabinet which has been sitting there in my side yard for the last God only knows how many years, whilst I risk life and limb with the wire wheel on the angle grinder

peace! and lemme know if you happen to own one of these beauties and how do they handle?
What is the circuit size needed for that. Nice compressor
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:46 PM   #36
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
What is the circuit size needed for that. Nice compressor
230 volts 16.2 amps, so I am not quite protecting the motor at this time as I am pulling from a clothes dryer outlet which I think is 30 amp but that's a simple circuit breaker swap
Old 04-09-2022, 03:15 PM   #37
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
230 volts 16.2 amps, so I am not quite protecting the motor at this time as I am pulling from a clothes dryer outlet which I think is 30 amp but that's a simple circuit breaker swap
Fuses and circuit breakers generally don’t protect the motor anyway. Most motor circuits when done properly have a contactor with what is known as heaters in the line. When the motor draws over the amperage it is supposed to run on, the heaters trip the overloads. Many times due to the inrush of amperage at start up the breakers can be three times The amperage of the motor and sometimes more.

I have a craftsman 5 hp 230 V that I’ve been abusing for 30+ years. I’m due for a new one and that looks nice.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:26 AM   #38
Gregski
Post Whore

strong language but fantastic info on air compressor ratings (funny too)

Why are CFM ratings BS?
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2022, 07:12 PM   #39
dsraven

you might try garnet in the blaster. it was recommended to me from the guy who sells sand blaster sand. he said the garnet doesn't powderize right away so it lasts longer and so less fine particulate in the air inside the blaster which ,akes it easier to see.
my cabinet blaster like that one now has a vacuum connected to the outlet port with a cyclone affair that helps drop out the particulate before it gets to the vacuum. works great. i also modded the pick up tube and lowered the screen floor inside the blaster so a larger piece could be put inside. the vacuum also helps you get the gloves on if you turn the vac on with the door closed the gloves get sucked inside and fully open for you to easily slip your hand in.
there are a few mods on the net to show how to make the blaster better. I am thinking about the mod that puts the sand and air mixing below the chute at the bottom, in the little door to empty the sand, and then have a foot pedal to supply the air. that seems to work well by the news on the net, lol.
I was so excited to get a big compressor as well. mine is an IR 5 hp 2 stage.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 09:20 PM   #40
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
i got a 1980 80 gallon 5hp 30t at work just now gettign its first pump rebuild i wouldnt have to if the last guy that serviced it for my work when i was on vaction used the wrong oil in it had crank bearing fail looking for another 30 years out of it after rebuild
The IR 30t is the Roll Royce of compressors , if you want IR the 30t is what you want , if properly maintained your grandkids children will be using it.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 11:20 PM   #41
Accelo

The group covered most everything.
A few comments;
Compressor companies lie on the HP and CFM ratings. Caveat emptor.

Plastic for air lines usually is only approved for underground usage. Otherwise it is typically illegal for the reasons listed. It can blow up if damaged.

Blast cabinets use a lot of air. If you use it much, to be happy, you will need a 5hp two stage inter-cooled compressor.

This means the motor will require roughly 26A at 220V running. Manufactures love to rate the motor amp draw as SP. (Special Duty) You will have no reference as to the real hp of the motor.

Get the largest tank you can afford. Used Horizontal compressors are less money as they take up more room.

All tanks are dated by law. Avoid the ones over 20 years if you can. Hit the bottom with a welding hammer, with no air in the tank, before purchasing.

Big and heavy are your friend. The slower the pump rotates the longer they last. Never purchase an oil-less compressor. Just junk and noisy as heck as the piston is open to the air. They are a giant speaker that just happens to pump air for a short time. None will last in blasting cabinet usage.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:47 AM   #42
Rickysnickers

Here you go air compressor gurus, what do you think of this one? I tried searching for info on it, but it's not even showing up in the manufacturer's website. It must be fairly old. https://boise.craigslist.org/tls/d/g...532775522.html
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:40 PM   #43
Accelo

I vote for a pass.
Only because parts for this style compressor are impossible to find.
That said it is fairly reliable.
Looks like the 80 gallon tanks and two stage.

Be patience and the right one will come along.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:12 PM   #44
Dead Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Here you go air compressor gurus, what do you think of this one? I tried searching for info on it, but it's not even showing up in the manufacturer's website. It must be fairly old. https://boise.craigslist.org/tls/d/g...532775522.html
Assume the tank is a rusty bomb until you prove otherwise. They are selling it for a reason.

2nd what Accelo said about buying compressors. I had one of those oil-less compressors. Very noisy and couldn't keep a small angle grinder running for more then a minute.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 07:29 AM   #45
Gregski
Post Whore

I can't believe it's already been 18 months since I bought that beauty

anyway thought I would share the latest mod I made to my Master Blaster cabinet in hopes of preventing the plastic window from getting beat up by ricochets so much

I wanted to use 2 x 6s but I didn't feel like taking out a loan to buy one, so I just used what I had from a left over palette
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2023, 10:18 AM   #46
dsraven

a couple of small LED flood lights in the upper rear corners really help to see things too. I have a cheap princess auto metal version, princess auto is Canadian version of harbor freight, I lowered the grill in the floor and modified the pick up tube for better suction. added the lights and it is twice as good as before. the size of the nozzle is important, mine came with a fairly small nozzle so a larger one was installed and that works better. I also added a blow gun to the inside on a coiled hose so the parts and the door area can be blown off prior to opening the door. I have a vacuum connected to mine so I leave that on until after the door is open after blasting, then the sand particles get sucked into the cabinet instead of falling out on the floor. I have a dust deputy cyclone style seperator inline on the vacuum and that catches most of the dust so the vacuum, a residential built in style I got for free, doesn't get plugged so fast. there are plastic sheets you can install on the inside that protect the glass, or whatever you are using for a window.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:21 AM   #47
dsraven

your blaster looks great. is it a purchases el cheapo dekuxe like mine that you built a new box for? looks like you have a bunch of the parts from a retailed version but your own design for the box part.