The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #76
dujobu

Re: 71' Blazer Rust bucket build

I would think a vinyl decal would melt in the engine bay, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Can you make it in one piece, all connected, like the script. Looking for something sticky on one side, to install on a flat surface of my valve covers
dujobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #77
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Can you make it in one piece, all connected, like the script. Looking for something sticky on one side, to install on a flat surface of my valve covers
If your wanting to put it on top of the actual script that is on the valve cover, I would want either the actual valve covers or a paper rubbing so that I could get it matched properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dujobu View Post
I would think a vinyl decal would melt in the engine bay, wouldn't it?
Vinyl has come a long way in the last five years or so.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #78
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
If your wanting to put it on top of the actual script that is on the valve cover, I would want either the actual valve covers or a paper rubbing so that I could get it matched properly.

Vinyl has come a long way in the last five years or so.
I want to take the image of that script, and lay it on a flat surface of another valve cover. Ill take a pic. of where i want to put it

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #79
jaros44sr

Richard, here is the surface that i want to put the corvette script on....

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #80
richard2717

Jim,
I sent you an email

Richard
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #81
jaros44sr

Thanks for your quick response, that looks great....do you have anything on file for chevrolet

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 04-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #82
richard2717

I am pretty sure I have a few different ones. WHat did you have in mind
Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #83
richard2717

Well, my presents came two days earlier than expected. FedEx as usual appears to have played soccer and other contact sports with the packages. All 3 boxes were busted up and it looked like parts should be missing. I started opening the boxes and he guy asked me what I was doing........I said duh......if you think I am signing for this without checking to make sure everything is still here you have lost your mind. He says well once you open the boxes you can't send them back. I felt like smacking hiim on the forehead and sayin hey stupid unless ur blind the boxes are alread open caused by you and FedEx. I told him I had no intention of sending anything back but if it was missing parts we would be filling out some paperwork before I signed anything. Looks like both of my floorpans are bent but not unuseable. Suprisingly everything survived. I now have a wall full of parts that I can use to start rebuilding the green machine. I hope to get a start on it tomorrow night. I have my work cut out for me but I think it will be worth it. Originally this was going to be a quick rust repair, get it running and drive but since I scored the really nice floor looks like it will end up frame off. Oh well may just go get that rotisserie at Greg smith. Sure will ake the rocker work go easier. I will be able to tell more tomorrow night I hope.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #84
notsolo

Quote:
Well, my presents came two days earlier than expected. FedEx as usual appears to have played soccer and other contact sports with the packages. All 3 boxes were busted up and it looked like parts should be missing. I started opening the boxes and he guy asked me what I was doing........I said duh......if you think I am signing for this without checking to make sure everything is still here you have lost your mind. He says well once you open the boxes you can't send them back. I felt like smacking hiim on the forehead and sayin hey stupid unless ur blind the boxes are alread open caused by you and FedEx. I told him I had no intention of sending anything back but if it was missing parts we would be filling out some paperwork before I signed anything. Looks like both of my floorpans are bent but not unuseable. Suprisingly everything survived. I now have a wall full of parts that I can use to start rebuilding the green machine. I hope to get a start on it tomorrow night. I have my work cut out for me but I think it will be worth it. Originally this was going to be a quick rust repair, get it running and drive but since I scored the really nice floor looks like it will end up frame off. Oh well may just go get that rotisserie at Greg smith. Sure will ake the rocker work go easier. I will be able to tell more tomorrow night I hope.
UPS also has adopted the customer is stuck with it policy. I got a radiator damaged with 2 holes in the box and core damaged, I refused delivery and was told damaged was not an option. Our UPS girl took it back to the office sent it back with other comments customer not home... Buyer beware..delivery in good condition optional...OH YEA NICE COLLECTION OF PARTS.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #85
richard2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
UPS also has adopted the customer is stuck with it policy. I got a radiator damaged with 2 holes in the box and core damaged, I refused delivery and was told damaged was not an option. Our UPS girl took it back to the office sent it back with other comments customer not home... Buyer beware..delivery in good condition optional...OH YEA NICE COLLECTION OF PARTS.
Seems like everyting is going full circle. Used to be fedex and ups were the quickreliable and damage free shippers, now it seems usps takes the lead again.

BTW Ed, how you making out with yours? Any progress since u got the top off?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #86
notsolo

Quote:
Seems like everyting is going full circle. Used to be fedex and ups were the quickreliable and damage free shippers, now it seems usps takes the lead again.

BTW Ed, how you making out with yours? Any progress since u got the top off?
Hey Richard at the rate I am going you will be done 1st....I got the windshield out...doors off...dash torn apart ...cleaned drip rail ...primed -floor, dash, jambs, and windshield. Used Sika 1a polyurethane caulk for seam sealer and drip rail. tore 1 door apart started to prep for paint.... New door hinge pins. , I need a book (Rebuilding old blazer 4 DUMMIES). Lots of details. putting it all back together could be interesting...Ed.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #87
jaros44sr

Quote:
I am pretty sure I have a few different ones. WHat did you have in mind
Do you have anything in this type, and thank you for taking the time. Youve got to be anxious to get your new parts on. Subscribed

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #88
richard2717

Jim,
I will look and let you know later today
Richard
Old 04-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #89
richard2717

Well got a chance to spend a few hours on the blazer tonight. Original plan was to do the rocker boxes and supporting pcs. first then tackle the rear floor, then the driver windshield pillar. My line of thinking was to keep the doors closed and the top on until the rocker area was done. After getting the rocker box out I see that it aint gonna happen that way.It appears to me that I am going to have to take the top off and rear quarters and get the rear floor replaced first. The wonderful engineers at GM made it so you cant get to two of the bolt heads to remove the inner panels unless you remove the quarter panels including the B pillar. looks like I may as well go ahead and tear the whole rig down and start from scratch. It i the only way I see to get to everything and do it right
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #90
jaros44sr

Quote:
Well got a chance to spend a few hours on the blazer tonight. Original plan was to do the rocker boxes and supporting pcs. first then tackle the rear floor, then the driver windshield pillar. My line of thinking was to keep the doors closed and the top on until the rocker area was done. After getting the rocker box out I see that it aint gonna happen that way.It appears to me that I am going to have to take the top off and rear quarters and get the rear floor replaced first. The wonderful engineers at GM made it so you cant get to two of the bolt heads to remove the inner panels unless you remove the quarter panels including the B pillar. looks like I may as well go ahead and tear the whole rig down and start from scratch. It i the only way I see to get to everything and do it right
isnt that amazing, all that work couldve been saved, IF you had access to those bolts. if you cut an access door in the B post, above the rear floor, you may get to them. nice work....

wish i lived closer, but it looks like you have things under control

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 04-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #91
richard2717

Quote:
isnt that amazing, all that work couldve been saved, IF you had access to those bolts. if you cut an access door in the B post, above the rear floor, you may get to them. nice work....

wish i lived closer, but it looks like you have things under control
If I was not going to replace the rear floor anyway, I would have cut the bolts from the bottom side and welded the new panels in. Having never worked a Blazer in this area I was unsure what I would find. Now that I have opened it up I can adjust my thinking

Last edited by richard2717; 04-25-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #92
warbucket

I just got done most of the same build your going to do. I left the top on and did the A pillars, floors, inner rockers and boxes before removing the bed and quarters. I removed the cover on the B pillar to get to those two bolts hidden in there and also fix the step/floor support. Here's my photobucket link for lots of pics.
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...zer/?start=all

warbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #93
richard2717

Thanks for the link John. Are you interested in the aluminum rims we were talking about when you were down?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #94
warbucket

I'm going to go with the factory steel wheel and hubcap look, I picked up two 16.5x9.75 kelsey hayes wheels from Duallyjams.
warbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #95
notsolo

Quote:
Thanks for the link John. Are you interested in the aluminum rims we were talking about when you were down?
Hey Richard ...Are you going to put new mounts on then work up from there..Here is the link to body bolt replacement...and a photo from LMC on the pieces required....Ed......http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=439583[/url]
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #96
notsolo

Quote:
Hey Richard ...Are you going to put new mounts on then work up from there..Here is the link to body bolt replacement...and a photo from LMC on the pieces required....Ed......http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=439583[/url]
To answer your question I think my set came from N. Carolina 15 years ago Energy suspension #3.4110 or 3.4110R (for Red) double check make sure that's it. Lots of places on-line seem to have these for under $100.....Ed.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #97
richard2717

Quote:
To answer your question I think my set came from N. Carolina 15 years ago Energy suspension #3.4110 or 3.4110R (for Red) double check make sure that's it. Lots of places on-line seem to have these for under $100.....Ed.
Thanks Ed,
I remembered seeing the ones on your Blazer and knew they were not originals then when I saw the ones on Ebay it got me questioning myself LOL

I ordered my por15 today so I can coat the inside of all the panels good and I am going to order all new bolts & bushings in the morning so hopefully I can get it all together to replace everything next weekend. Once I get all that in then I can finish tearing the rocker area apart.

Richard
Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #98
richard2717

Well got my bushings and bolts ordered so hopefully they will come in this week.

While trolling Craigs list last night I came across an add for some rallies with new center caps for a decent price I called the guy this morning and set up to meet him this afternoon.

He also had this sweet set of polished slots complete with centercaps & lug nuts I picked up for possible installation on the 68' panel.
Attached Images

Last edited by richard2717; 04-30-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Fell asleep with laptop in lap and hit several buttons while asleep
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 AM   #99
VA72C10
VA72C10

did you get the slots and rallies from the same guy? Nice haul!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #100
richard2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
did you get the slots and rallies from the same guy? Nice haul!
Actually yes I did. Story is he went to Carlile and picked up a set of vette rallies for the 69' shortbed Fleet he just bought . He did not know about this site so I invited him to stop on by. Told him anything he may need or need to know he will find right here.