The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2023, 07:12 PM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

Easy Out?

Hi there. I've got two bolts broken off flush in my 350 block. I went to buy an "Easy Out" and a left handed drill bit but on Amazon I see all of these brands that I've never heard of and I can imagine that they all come form the same one or two factories in China. The last thing I need is to deal with is broken off easy-outs.
Any of you guys know of a source for decent quality extractors? Thanks, -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:00 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Easy Out?

Several years ago I bought a couple of sets off of a Govt Surplus site. Made by Greenfield Industries in Evans Georgia. No clue if made in USA is still available.

Set #56 Screw Extractors

Was good enough to get a stuck exhaust bolt out of a 350 head. Also involved lots of penetrating oil and a delay of a couple of days for the oil to do its magic.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:09 PM   #3
truckster

Do you have a welder? Welding a nut on the broken bolt is the best method I've found.

If not, I've had good luck with the Irwin spiral screw and bolt extractors. They're "made in USA with global components", whatever that means.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:48 PM   #4
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Hi there. I've got two bolts broken off flush in my 350 block. I went to buy an "Easy Out" and a left handed drill bit but on Amazon I see all of these brands that I've never heard of and I can imagine that they all come form the same one or two factories in China. The last thing I need is to deal with is broken off easy-outs.
Any of you guys know of a source for decent quality extractors? Thanks, -BA
share a picture of where the bolt is broken. don't buy cheap extractors. should you do, and it breaks, your 10x deeper in a hole you were in before and then you will need carbide drill bits which are hella expensive and shatter easily... very frustrating.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Tools-698.../dp/B01A8Q3BCE

is a real nice kit and can save your bacon if you have the room and will make extracting it and or thread repair much nicer and easier..
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:24 PM   #5
Accelo

Here is a set made in usa.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18399995333...Bk9SR6z4lOH_YQ

You can find other USA brands like Proto on eBay.
The trick is to drill the bolt on center.
If you miss that you vastly limit your options.
The Amazon Kit 1987Chevy.com pointed out is also a great tool to assist getting the drill in the center.
It's a guide not the actual drill or removal tools.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:18 AM   #6
WorkinLonghorn

Excellent advice in the posts above. Thank you all. Can't weld and the bolt shanks are just a tad down the hole . These are the 2 Power steering front mount bolts on a 350 engine. I have to first get the bracket out of the way and I'm struggling with that bolt up near the engine mount. I'll get it now that my work has tailed off and I have some time.
Then I need to remove the radiator and shroud so that I can swing a hammer to center-punch the bolts and get my drill in there to start a 1/4" hole. I might try those USA extractors suggested by Accelo. I might spring for a left-handed drill too just in case they decide to come out easy, and at least I won't screw them further in. It's been about 50 years since I have done this sort of thing. Thanks again, -BA

Dead Parrot; Yeah I've got them soaking in Liquid Wrench.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 05-12-2023 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2023, 09:25 AM   #7
Getter-Done

I have several sets and types.

I have the ones Accelo suggested.

They are Great

I will also suggest some drill stops.
So you do not drill to far into the block.

Link: https://www.harborfreight.com/7-piec...set-38336.html
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 05:12 PM   #8
LS short box

Just a tip. If you can get at the bolt grind it flat so you get good centered center punch. I would start with 1/8" drill bit. Then 1/4".
Be really careful with any type of easy outs. They are super hard and if you break one off in the hole your next step is an EDM machine.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:39 PM   #9
WorkinLonghorn

Thanks everybody for the info and advice. They both came out just using the left-handed drill bit. No corrosion involved and I soaked them with Liquid Wrench for a week prior. -BA
Old 05-15-2023, 09:38 PM   #10
Getter-Done

Great to hear good news
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:12 PM   #11
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Thanks everybody for the info and advice. They both came out just using the left-handed drill bit. No corrosion involved and I soaked them with Liquid Wrench for a week prior. -BA
That makes for a good day!
Old 05-16-2023, 02:16 PM   #12
MySons68C20

Well done!
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote