The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2021, 06:19 PM   #1
old51sedan

Adding fuse panel

Because of having so many items to hook up I'm wanting to add a 6 circuit surface mount fuse panel to my existing panel. It says I need a #10-32 for a power feed. Not to sound silly but I'm thinking a #10 wire ran from the battery. I don't see a way to hook one panel to the other. This has room for 6 fuses and seems like it is just what I need. Not much room under there to place it, but have the steering column out so now is the time to do it. I'll post pictures.
Attached Images

old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Adding fuse panel

I believe the #10-32 is simply describing the size of the threaded stud used to make the main power supply connection to that particular fuse panel.

The wire gauge required will depend on the total amount of current drawn by the devices connected to the new fuse panel as well as the length of the wire. Here is a wire ampacity chart that will help you figure out the wire gauge needed --> https://jascoautomotive.com/automoti...apacity-chart/ For example, if you use 10 gauge wire and the length is under 7.8 feet, you'll be good for up to 30 amps (provided that doesn't exceed the rating of the fuse panel).

And you're right, you probably don't want to try to power this additional fuse panel off the existing one (that could potentially overload the existing power feed wire). Powering it directly from the battery is one option. Another would be to tie into the existing factory power distribution point. However, on 67-72 trucks, that's a multi-wire splice that's all soldered together inside the front wiring harness near the voltage regulator (not very easy to tap into, although you could cut it out and replace it with a power distribution stud or busbar).

Depending on what you're connecting to the new fuse panel, you might want to consider adding a relay (with a suitable current rating) to switch the power feed on & off with the ignition vs. having it powered all the time. And finally, it would be a good idea to include an inline fuse or fusible link in the main power feed wire. Locate it on the end nearest the source (battery) and size it to protect the wire gauge used.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:00 PM   #3
old51sedan

Thanks Ray, I hadn't thought about it, but everything connected to it would be hot all the time, maybe things like the clock, cig lighter, even radio if you wanted to turn it off and on manually. Those 2-3 things might really help free up a few posts.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Name:  fp (2).jpg
Views: 137
Size:  11.8 KB

It's size of stud that supply wire attaches to.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote